Author Topic: Reflectex ?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline alumabass

• IceShanty Rookie
Reflectex ?
« on: Aug 06, 2012, 06:24 PM »
How do you attach this to the roof of a portable?  I have a Otter Cabin.  I have some laying around from another project.  Once it is attached does it create any issues when folding it back down?  I would like to use it to help the condensation issue.

Thanks
Arlo

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Reflectex ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2012, 06:53 PM »
I fed mine between the support rods and the canvas, made slots for the attachment points and it worked great all last season.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2012, 07:20 PM »
I fed mine between the support rods and the canvas, made slots for the attachment points and it worked great all last season.

1+

It almost eliminates the condensation issue. I did mine last year and noticed no difference in the way the tent stowed or deployed. I honestly think a shack is better off with reflectix than a true thermal cap at this point. If there is a downside, I haven't found it yet. Do the mod, you will be glad you did! 

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2012, 01:49 PM »
I just did my otter cabin a few weeks ago.  I slid it through the poles and the canvas as well.  Then I cut out slits for the velcro and used sip ties to secure the reflectex to a few other poles.  So far so good.  I used the reflectex to hide cords to from my lighting as well.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline bullcans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Which one of the Reflectex products and sizes do you go with?

I have a Team Wild 2 flip over and was considering this stuff

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2012, 03:16 PM »
I used the 4' wide, not the 2'.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2012, 08:16 PM »
If you havent put it in yet, You got to try it!  One of the best mods I did. With little buddy on low my celling is warm to the touch.  NO condensation at all in mine, That cuts down on the damp air in the hut.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Not to mention it's light scavenging qualities.... It seems to spread the light from roof mounted LED rope lights and spread it out to make it more useful, less harsh, and eliminates shadows....

It is not a permanent thing though. After a few seasons of hard use, the mylar starts to flake. If you buy a roll, stash enough of the leftovers in the rafters of your garage to do it again.

I get mine for free from a produce wholesaler. They get fresh herbs shipped in by Fed Ex Express and it comes packed in big boxes lined with reflectix. The herbs can't get too cold or too warm or they wilt, two layers of this stuff will stabilize the temp enough to get it from California to Minnesota on an airplane :o One sheet is cut perfectly to do the roof on a Voyager.... @)

I would venture to guess that florists may get shipments the same way, and every town has a florist.... Can't hurt to ask. This produce wholesaler throws enough in the dumpster per week to do the roofs of dozens of shacks. They are happy to give it away. We all need to do our part to reduce, reuse, and recycle..... especially when it saves us money! ;D

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2012, 02:32 PM »
Throw my vote in for Reflectix as well. I've had the same stuff in my Fish Trap for 3 seasons now and still love it. I wouldn't wast my money on the fancy Reflectix tape though, it's not that durable. I just use good old red Tuck Tape, it looks kinda tacky, but it's way stronger.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline bullcans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2012, 03:45 PM »
CMMahey

What's the red tuct tape for then?

My construction buddy just hooked me up with a 1/2 roll and am excited about getting it installed

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2012, 03:59 PM »
if you have to join 2 pieces together, the tuck tape holds way better than duct tape.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2012, 04:32 PM »
if you have to join 2 pieces together, the tuck tape holds way better than duct tape.

I don't have any experience with tuct tape but I have heard that it doesn't hold up very well in the cold.

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2012, 04:43 PM »
CMMahey

What's the red tuct tape for then?

My construction buddy just hooked me up with a 1/2 roll and am excited about getting it installed
The red tape is used to hold reflextix joints together, stop air infiltration and create a vapor barrier when it is installed on the house before the siding is installed.
  The fewer tape joints you have, the longer it will last and not fall apart in the shack over time. If at all possible, I would take the time to snake a whole piece into place and notch the reflectix around the tent pole loops. That way you can stretch it and remove any droops in the reflectix. Just my .02, good luck.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Aug 08, 2012, 05:06 PM »
I used the red construction tape as well. It holds up well in the cold and works much better than duct tape.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 08, 2012, 07:04 PM »
I bought the 2' wide roll of Reflectix for my Fish Trap and ended up with a seam running right down the middle of the insulation when installed. I'd have to re-tape it every 4-5 trips with the special foil tape as it would tear, but the red Tuck Tape has been in there for 15-20 trips so far without a crack. And that includes some days where the tent was getting set up in -30c temperatures.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I have thought about putting some reflectix in my Predator however I am worried about moisture getting between that and the tent and causing mold. Has anyone had any problem with this?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Nope.... But I do pull it out in the summer.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2012, 10:37 AM »
I dry my tent out in my basement after every trip, and have never had any mold problems so far. I do make sure to dry the tent completely before storing it for the summer.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Best mod ever!   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.