Author Topic: atv boxes  (Read 4183 times)

Offline mrgundog

• IceShanty Rookie
atv boxes
« on: Aug 03, 2012, 06:45 PM »
I just bought a 700 Yamaha ATV for snow pushing and ice fishing. The medium monster box has my eye. Anyone use or have any wisdom on the purchase of hard luggage for a ATV?
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly dog

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: atv boxes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2012, 07:28 PM »
I have the same rig and use all Otter products myself and have been very satisfied.

Chris Raymond

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Leave more crap home or in the truck! :woot:

I've found that it is much more useful to have room for a tag along to sit than a box for stuff. I also feel that a day on the ice is much more enjoyable when I leave the clutter home. When I still fished off a wheeler, the only thing mounted on it was an auger rack. I actually ended up selling the wheeler and now fish from a 2up snowmobile. The only thing mounted on the snowmobile is a custom made auger rack.

It goes in the sled or it stays in the truck!

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2012, 08:16 AM »
Nice set up Chris, I really like how you supported the motor on the Nils, that is a drawback to most all of the manufactured racks !

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Thanks Surf.  The actual mounts themselves are the Mad Dog carrier but what the mounts are bolted to is something that I came up with so that I could have a front box and still use an auger mount.  It's removeable so that I can easily remove it for transport with a cover on to protect the bike from the salt monster.  I don't carry anything in the sled anymore and prefer to keep everything in the boxes, over suspension, for both ease of access/use and to prevent gear from getting beat to death in the tub. 
Chris Raymond

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2012, 04:52 AM »
Hey Chris.  I like your setup.  I've had my eye on the Otter Medium box for a while.  I wish someone near here would stock one.  Shipping on those things is a real downside.  Still, I think I just may have to order one soon, for the coming season.  I agree with you about keeping the gear on the machine.  If the conditions are right, I leave my sled and shelter in the truck and still have everything I need for a day of fishing.
One thing I did a few years back was to purchase an enclosed trailer that would carry my wheeler and all the gear.  Best thing I ever did for my icefishing gear.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2012, 05:57 PM »
I opted for a snowmobile. I agree with you about keeping the gear on the machine also, everything is readily available. Like FISHFORPIKE I purchased an enclosed trailer to carry my snowmobile and all the gear is loaded and ready to go.  It's convenient, efficient and the best thing I ever did for my icefishing gear and my back.
I'm just praying for some good ice this year to put her to the test...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2012, 07:16 PM »
I was just think about a box for my quad today. I am on the fence about adding one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.