Author Topic: Unfished water advice  (Read 793 times)

Offline IluvmyCLAM2000

• IceShanty Rookie
Unfished water advice
« on: Feb 24, 2005, 04:26 PM »
Hello all...was just looking for any advice on fishing a lake i've never been on before. It has never had any houses built around it.....and you had to walk through 6 foot of brush to get to it until the new development started last summer. i know a few folks have summer/fall fished it from shore and got some nice gills......but where do I start to drill holes?  The middle? the north east corner? I have no idea of the depth, or structure.........it's probobly 1/4 mile long, and it is kidney shaped. Where would you guys start? Nobody has ice fished it all year............probob ly cuz there are only two houses on the lake, and one is under construction. Any info would help.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
Re: Unfished water advice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2005, 06:49 PM »
What I do when I have no idea where to fish on a lake, I usually drill a hole, and jig a hole for 15 minutes (unless you start catching them), if not then move and try another hole. If you have tipups, spread them out quite a bit, and then once you get some productive ones, move the unproductive ones.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

billybono

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2005, 08:10 PM »
IluvmyCLAM2000-usually the contor of the surrounding shore will flow into the water. i would also look for any creeks outflows etc. also the species you want to catch is going to dictate where to fish. fill me in a little more man!!!! if its a fairly small body of water the vex and the cam are going to save a lot of time ;) (i guess i better add a power auger also!!!)

LakeTroutMaster - i always tip up like that. i try to find the reason why a couple are more productive(lake bottom, structure, etc. and move the rest accordingly

billybono

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2005, 09:36 PM »
Drill alot of holes till you find them, go fairyl deep if its a small lake, without electronics, you just need to keep moving till you find them. ;)

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2005, 09:42 PM »
I would start at the middle in the deep end and go toward the shallow
part. Drill a hole, fish 5 - 10 min, keep on moving, sooner or later you
will find some fish, especially in a small lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.