The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: To the guy(s) who cut their holes with a chainsaw......  (Read 1679 times)

Offline sperley03

• IceShanty Rookie
On Mattaseunk lake out by the twin islands I just want to say thank you for ruining my day. First thing I stepped off my sled and down I went. No markings of any kind, top was frozen over with snow so you could not see them. Thank god it was me and not my 4 yr old daughter or my 6 year old nephew, who were both with us.
And I know it was a chainsaw because a fellow fisherman saw what happened and came over to see if I was ok. He told me 2 weekends ago a pair of men were there and they cut these huge holes with a chainsaw to fish and two hours later they left because of the weather.
Note to others........if you make a hole that will swallow you, put up some damm markers!

Online teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: To the guy(s) who cut their holes with a chainsaw......
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Wow. Glad you are ok, that could have been bad! Any whites today?

Offline sperley03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2012, 03:16 PM »
Wow. Glad you are ok, that could have been bad! Any whites today?
Nope, just 5 pickerel and an eel lol. I was in hopes of catching some perch but nothing would bite on the sonar, didn't matter what I had on. You'd see them come up to the bait, and turn away. I didn't get to fish much since I had to run home to change.

Online teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Nope, just 5 pickerel and an eel lol. I was in hopes of catching some perch but nothing would bite on the sonar, didn't matter what I had on. You'd see them come up to the bait, and turn away. I didn't get to fish much since I had to run home to change.

Ya I bet. Still a little cold for a dip!

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2012, 05:15 PM »
The same thing happened to my girlfriend last time we were out . She stepped over a 10 inch hole that was covered with snow and here leg went all the way under scared her pretty good but she had rubber boots on so some how she managed to stay dry. I cant imagine if that was a little kid that could fit their whole body down the hole. Kinda made me think...

Offline Mossypumpkin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2012, 05:39 PM »
On Mattaseunk lake out by the twin islands I just want to say thank you for ruining my day. First thing I stepped off my sled and down I went. No markings of any kind, top was frozen over with snow so you could not see them. Thank god it was me and not my 4 yr old daughter or my 6 year old nephew, who were both with us.
And I know it was a chainsaw because a fellow fisherman saw what happened and came over to see if I was ok. He told me 2 weekends ago a pair of men were there and they cut these huge holes with a chainsaw to fish and two hours later they left because of the weather.
Note to others........if you make a hole that will swallow you, put up some damm markers!

The ice harvesters did cut out huge holes on my usual pond and didnt mark it. The chunks of ice were left there but still...gaping holes there. I think some people are just stupid..
Killin time til swimbait season..

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2012, 05:40 PM »
idiots atleast leave a cup or a couple branches sticking up

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2012, 08:42 PM »
We also have those stupid guy arround here,,and i was very happy to clear three of them on my fishing place with the help of residents...they haved the abbit to landed the 30'' by 24'' ice block and let it there..it was very dangerous! Hole(anybody could pass threw) Ice landed ice block(when it's snow and with 100km speed vibration that affect snowmobile vision) outch! ...Dangerous!
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2012, 03:41 AM »
hey, we have a camp on that lake and were up there fishing and sledding for a week just before the weekend your talkin about. no one cutting holes with chain saw then, cant imagine who it would be, usually just locals on that lake and most seem to be smarter than that. We are headed back up in a couple of days [thurs] to do some fishing and more sledding. thanks for the heads up, my 13yr old son would probably find that spot on his arctic cat when i'm not paying attention. i'll mark it up good if its still open when we get there.   we also have a hard time getting the white perch to take a jig, we do ok with tip ups and can see them on the vex but dont seem interested.?  can't wait to get back up there, we had an awsome perch and pickerel feed on the ice a couple weeks ago and im craving it one more time before the end of winter.  i'm glad your ok though i'd hate to see you floating by the camp in the spring. :-[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.