Author Topic: Vexilar rebuttal to the Lx-7?  (Read 11110 times)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Vexilar rebuttal to the Lx-7?
« on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Does anyone know if Vexilar is in the process of making another flasher to compete with the lx-7?

Just seems plausible to me that they would try and make something to compete with it.  I feel like the lx-7 is a notch above the rest, only a matter of time until someone tries to out do it.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vexilar rebuttal to the Lx-7?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:03 PM »
I will start off by saying I am the guy who is addicted to new but..................w hat else can you really do with a unit.  I know the Lx-7 has a lot of features, etc (and yes i want one NOT because it catches more fish but because i just want new!!!) but really a flasher is a flasher.  If your flasher picks up fish and bait and has a zoom (which you do not need either but I really like) this is all you need.  Who knows what is next, I suppose there will be rear view mirrors, a place to keep you coffee warm, a rod holder that jigs your rod for you hooked to the unit,......

But really you need it to show depth, fish and bait. 

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Hmmm... can't really argue there.

I was more thinking the bigger screen... LCD screen.  Rather than just the normal round display (lx-5, fl-20, etc) 

I think the bigger screen, that has multiple displays... is in general a better concept.  Sure some will still prefer the circular dial of the older units... but as I'm getting older I can appreciate the larger screen and the crisp and clear display.

I can't help but think that vexilar will come out with a similar unit with a larger screen, very much like the lx-7.  Time will tell.

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Not to start a brand loyalty dustup or nothing, but it just seems to me like Vexilar has been simply coasting along on its laurels the past few years and hasn't really offered up any major advancements in their product line ? Just my .02 !

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Not to start a brand loyalty dustup or nothing, but it just seems to me like Vexilar has been simply coasting along on its laurels the past few years and hasn't really offered up any major advancements in their product line ? Just my .02 !

:nono:..... ;D ;D
Jig em up!

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:51 PM »
The  Fl24? with 10' flat screen, Gps mapping camera and down scan all built in for under 699?  ;D....

Offline jrtbaits

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • wishin' i was fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:57 PM »
I'm waiting to see which company is the first to incorporate the new technology that humminbird just came out with ... the 360 degree scan. I bet that would be amazing for icefishing.         http://www.wired2fish.com/Humminbird-Unveils-360-Degree-Imaging-WhatsUp6430

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Bird 65?? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:21 PM »

As a Vex AND Marcum owner I agree with this.  Both companies have fantastic customer service, but Marcum seems to be pushing the innovation envelope much more IMO.

Offline jagger_ca

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:10 PM »
The FL-18 - doesn't get any better...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:22 PM »
The FL-18 - doesn't get any better...

With exception of the VX-1, LX-3, LX-5 and LX-7     ;D

Offline newincudahy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Failure to prepare is prepairing to fail.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Wow that bird 360 is the cats butt!
Fish Now! Cuz you'll be dead a long time.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Wow that bird 360 is the cats butt!

For seeing structure side/down imaging is great, for ice fishing not so practical for $2000 still need a flasher/finder of some sort to mark fish/bait....

Offline PFUNK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2012, 12:19 AM »
For seeing structure side/down imaging is great, for ice fishing not so practical for $2000 still need a flasher/finder of some sort to mark fish/bait....

I am pretty sure the 360 is just an add on to one of the ethernet capable humminbird head units.  I may be wrong but I think that you can get the traditional sonar on split screen with the 360 degree scan image. So together (head unit and 360) they are a complete package... a very spendy one though.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2012, 01:02 AM »
I haven't seen the LX-7 in action yet but I would like to get one (maybe next year) but my only concern is that it seems a little fragile and easy to break. I'd like to see what vexilar comes out with if anything. But honestly their simple design is tough to beat plus being bullet proof and proven over the last how many years I don't know what else you really need in a unit except maybe smaller target separation. I'm a sucker for new technology and will probably have one for first ice next year now that they are up and running a lot smoother then when they first came out.

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2012, 06:57 AM »
Does anyone know if Vexilar is in the process of making another flasher to compete with the lx-7?

First they should make a unit to compete with the LX-5  :P

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:45 AM »
vex has to get out of the brady bunch era and start looking for new technology. 

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2012, 08:33 AM »
The  Fl24? with 10' flat screen, Gps mapping camera and down scan all built in for under 699?  ;D....

Sarcasm on the price aside, that's what I'm waiting for.

For now my ICE-55 and Delorme handheld GPS with Navionics card will suffice.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2012, 11:20 AM »
I really dont see why they should add all the bells and whistles that another brand has, when what they've been making has been and will be as reliable a unit as ever. They dont need to keep up with the Joneses to keep their buisness profitable. Some people will always love their products no matter what. If people want bells and whistles on their locator, they can always pay the price of them with other brands. No problem. But vex is always a reliable choice for anyone that can afford them.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2012, 12:30 PM »
I really dont see why they should add all the bells and whistles that another brand has, when what they've been making has been and will be as reliable a unit as ever.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Tight lines

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2012, 12:46 PM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So you would be happy driving a 1985 pickup the rest of your life.....

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2012, 01:00 PM »
If it wasn't broke, I sure would.  I actually prefer older trucks, not for the milage - more for the workmanship and nostalgia, and metal.
Tight lines

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2012, 01:03 PM »
While the LX7 is cool and I would consider it if I didnt have a flasher yet, Ive used one enough times to say that I wouldnt run out and sell my ice 55 for one. I honestly dont see the graph as a very big advantage for ice fishing, I always watch the flasher for a real time view of whats going on(I dont see how seeing what was there 10 seconds ago helps you..) and I dont like the vertical column flasher display nearly as much as I thought I would.

Very cool machine but if Im going to just be watching the flasher I would rather have a mechanical unit, I honestly wasent that impressed with the digital flasher and I didnt find target seperation to be any better than any of the other units ive used. Mechanical flashers are more reliable, smaller, much more durable and battery life is significantly better. I can get 3 days use on a charge out of my humminbird, thats tough to beat. Add a GPS to the LX7 and then you would really have something.

Just giving my 2 cents, I still think its a really neat unit overall.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2012, 03:11 PM »
I picked up an Lx7 and to be honest....I wish I wouldnt have. Its not any different than my fl22 or ice 55 other than the option to have a graph on the side and an oversized cluttered screen. PLEASE VEXILAR come out with something next year, I want you back!!!!!! LMAO

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Only clutter issues I have on mine are fish...   ;D  The 7 is so much nicer to use than and Vex I have owned and nicer than my other Marcum Flashers....What I like is being able to use the full flasher and have the zoom on the side, 42' deep my bottom reads at around 11:00 on the flasher dial and on the zoom we are able to easily watch 4 different lines, except when the zooms red with fish....

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:45 PM »
 Does it put more fish on the ice? Thats the bottom line.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:47 PM »
I like the idea of having that feature esox magnum.

I personally think the bigger screen and larger display is worth the extra 200$ compared to the lx-5. 

That is what got me thinking about vexilar - I still think it is only a matter of time before they try to counter the lx-7's business with something similar.  That is what you do if you are a smart company - you try to steal market-share.

Right now lx-7 is by far the most advanced unit - with the largest screen.... I can see why it is so popular.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Bee, this year the type of fishing we had to do, yes it put more on the ice than most others around us....As for Vex catching up, I won't hold my breath, still haven't bested the LX-5....

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Haha you dont sound biased at all.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:24 PM »
Not biased at all I owned several Vex's for many years and was happy with them, but something better came out and I have been happy with them since... If and When Vex's markets something new and innovative you can bet I'll be trying one, just not looking for more add ons and increasing prices on the same units year after year...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.