Author Topic: Lakers or Jacks  (Read 1538 times)

CT Ice Dawg

Lakers or Jacks
« on: Feb 20, 2005, 08:29 AM »
Hello All, Please hang in there due to the fact that I'm new here. And so far it seems like a great place to be checking up on how the hardwater fishing is all over.  I have been pondering the thought of new tip-ups this season and I know it's a little late but I've grabbed a couple to try. I just picked up a Polar Therm Extreme and it seems real smooth and no trouble with it at all.  But I've read alot on Heritage Lakers and Jack Traps,these are 2 names I've nerver come across before but by the look of em they seem very well built. Most of the fishing I do here in CT is small pond stuff and no trouble snowmobiles or ATVs,ice average is bout 6 to 8 and my water depth is usually 5 to 10 feet with a few deep holes here and there.
Mostly bass,calico,pickerel,perch,and few northens on a good day. I guess what Im looking to learn is pros n cons of both but at the same time not start a war w/ Heritage & Jack users.       

FRESHBAIT

Re: Lakers or Jacks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2005, 09:05 AM »
I've used heritage laker's most of my life, I like them alot.  The jack traps are a good trap too, but really pricey.  I've also used the polars that lay flat on the ice,  really sensitive but hard to see.  Heritage lakers are a good trap,  they've switched to a composite reel now instead of an all metal(haven't fished w/them yet so I only know the metal ones)  They are a bomb proof trap,  throw some polyurethane on them and they will last a lifetime.  you can tweek the trip mechanism by sanding it to trip on realy lite strikes.  The key is Buy what you can afford and like,  i've seen $3 traps fish just as well if not better than a $40 TRAP,  its all in where you put them.

just my .02
good luck

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lakers or Jacks
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2005, 10:22 AM »
I have HT Polars, you can get them for somewhere between 10-15 dollars. I have some of my dad's which are about 20 years old, and they works just as good as my brand new ones. Heritages and Jack Traps are beautiful tipups, but are really not needed for what your fishing at all, they're really overkill to be honest...
I would get HT Polars, they're cheap, but well built (although not pieces of art like Jack Traps :D) and they are really perfect for the waters you're fishing. I use HT polars on New York's Lake George for Lake Trout; big fish in a big lake (It's 30 miles long, and 200 feet deep.) and am yet to have any problems. Understand that everyone has their favorite tipups (the ones that they own), but I can honestly say that for what your fishing, and for the price, they can't be beat... ;)
JMHO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.