The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Any used the Ice Auger Shroud??  (Read 5757 times)

Offline Nates Bait 3

• IceShanty Rookie
Any used the Ice Auger Shroud??
« on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Has anyone ever used one of these??? If so, worth it or not??
http://icehogger.com/videos.html

Cleaning out holes isn't bad... if your only doing a few, but if you've got kids or anything this could be very helpful too...

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Any used the Ice Auger Shroud??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:46 PM »
It looks really good and I couldn't find anything bad about it, just haven't gotten it yet.

Offline Nates Bait 3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:55 PM »
I think i'll end up getting one... let me know if you do before me haha

Offline Nates Bait 3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:56 PM »
i saw they have adjustments but i wonder how much i can use it when im in spots like i was up in Jackman that took all but one blade of my auger... hopefully still spits above the ice without the extensions...

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:28 PM »
Ive never seen one before this! kind of neat, but I don't think I will be buying one anytime soon.
Never Give Up!

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:12 AM »
Looks like a great rig  :thumbsup: and with the blade protector the blades should last for a very long time. How much are they? I always like seeing some of the latest gizmo's in icefishing. Thanks for sharing.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:27 AM »
Wonder if you could make one out of pvc drainage pipe, the thin stuff?

Offline eastpguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:39 AM »
I bought one of these last year and like it.  It makes cleaning out your holes much easier, if they even need any cleaning at all. 
They do have some setbacks such as:
  Wimpy nylon straps that hold the shroud from spinning with the auger.   a quick fix to replace
  It can stick to the auger when stored for an extended period or when frozen.   Swift kick always solves this.
  It would make using  an extension slightly harder to put on.
I would buy this again if the price was right.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:45 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but if you let your auger run a few seconds after going through the ice, it flushes / cleans out the hole of all slush. You don't need any contraption like that one posted.

Offline cmain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:36 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but if you let your auger run a few seconds after going through the ice, it flushes / cleans out the hole of all slush. You don't need any contraption like that one posted.

LMAO! its true....

Offline Morfishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:48 AM »
X2
Fish have tails

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:51 AM »
ya x2 just hold the auger there a second and its clean. :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:03 AM »
This contraption gets asked about each year since I've joined. To me it's useless junk to have to lug around when as mentioned above does the job just fine. Your mileage may vary and to each their own.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline cmain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:05 AM »
I guess some people haven't profected their hole drilling technique!!! Its an art as far as im concerned!

Offline keng52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:17 AM »
  If a guy was to add some sparkle or flash (spinner blades) to the back sides of the auger blades you could maybe just pump the fish thru the ice!! ;D

Ken...

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:27 AM »
For $70 plus shipping....I think I can get quite a few skimmers.  I have a 9 year old anyway, so I don't have to skim anymore.  ;D

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:41 AM »
I don't see the benefit as not having to clean the holes, I see it as not showering yourself with ice chips and water. Not getting your pants legs wet and icey.

Offline Nates Bait 3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:30 AM »
a few nonsense replies was expected... but this isn't made to just clean the slush from the hole, watch the videos and look where your shavings end up around the hole, the shroud leaves a clean smooth surface as if you didnt drill, you avoid getting pants/shoes soaked if its a warmer day where you dont need your suit, no need to kick out around the hole to clear it. Being a disabled vet I figured it might be easier then bending down every hole to clear it all out when this makes a clean area, cleans it out and isn't that bad priced considering what it does. By all means if one of you pro's make a device that works the same as this for less money let me know I'll be a customer.

Offline cmain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:37 AM »
a few nonsense replies was expected... but this isn't made to just clean the slush from the hole, watch the videos and look where your shavings end up around the hole, the shroud leaves a clean smooth surface as if you didnt drill, you avoid getting pants/shoes soaked if its a warmer day where you dont need your suit, no need to kick out around the hole to clear it. Being a disabled vet I figured it might be easier then bending down every hole to clear it all out when this makes a clean area, cleans it out and isn't that bad priced considering what it does. By all means if one of you pro's make a device that works the same as this for less money let me know I'll be a customer.

If your injuries are agravated buy the constant bending over...and you dont wear knee high rubber insulated boots on warm days...and you have the extra money for this rig...Id say go for it!

I would say this is unecessary in my case.

Offline SparkyT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:45 AM »
x2

How heavy is the shroud?  I can't imagine it's all that heavy - maybe it's negligible - but if it is more than a pound or two, the last thing I'd want to do is ADD weight to a power auger that I've gotta haul around.  Personally, I'd rather clean out 5 holes with a skimmer, and if I'm drilling more than that, I'd DEFINITELY rather clean out the holes manually than haul the weight around.

Offline Sniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:07 PM »
Top notch looking product. Also GREAT way to safely transport your augur. Wish I had it years ago when I took a dive off the dogsled onto the augur blade. Without a helmet and face mask (which lost a chunk when I hit the blade) I wouldn't be here, at least in mind.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2012, 05:38 PM »
x2

How heavy is the shroud?  I can't imagine it's all that heavy - maybe it's negligible - but if it is more than a pound or two, the last thing I'd want to do is ADD weight to a power auger that I've gotta haul around.  Personally, I'd rather clean out 5 holes with a skimmer, and if I'm drilling more than that, I'd DEFINITELY rather clean out the holes manually than haul the weight around.

As stated before, it's primary purpose is not to have clean holes, it's to keep the slush,ice, water off your legs. Clean holes is just a side benefit.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:07 PM »
the thing I like most about it would be it protects things from rubbing against your auger shaft during transport, still not going to buy one though.
Never Give Up!

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:20 AM »
As stated before, it's primary purpose is not to have clean holes, it's to keep the slush,ice, water off your legs. Clean holes is just a side benefit.

Why don't you guys just bring 2 snow suits with you. That way when you get all that nasty ice chips and slush on you, all you have to do is change your snow suits. Also, I would bring a third snow suit for the ride home. You don't want to get your car seat wet. ;D

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:44 AM »

Why don't you guys just bring 2 snow suits with you. That way when you get all that nasty ice chips and slush on you, all you have to do is change your snow suits. Also, I would bring a third snow suit for the ride home. You don't want to get your car seat wet. ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline SparkyT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:28 AM »

And that's great if you have a problem keeping yourself dry.  I've been fishing for many years now, in jeans and long johns, using power augers all the time.  I've never once had a problem with an auger throwing slush/ice/water on me.  Drill the hole, remove the auger from the hole slowly, and everything stays dry (including the ice surface around the hole). 

So, cool idea, but no value at all for me.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2012, 04:01 PM »
And that's great if you have a problem keeping yourself dry.  I've been fishing for many years now, in jeans and long johns, using power augers all the time.  I've never once had a problem with an auger throwing slush/ice/water on me.  Drill the hole, remove the auger from the hole slowly, and everything stays dry (including the ice surface around the hole). 

So, cool idea, but no value at all for me.

You're my hero

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2012, 04:16 PM »
I love it, 26 (now 27) replies, and only one answered the question yes  ::)
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:34 PM »
i dont

Offline gigs1o1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:17 AM »
Cool idea, but I don't mind scooping holes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum