Author Topic: Cascade Surface  (Read 2290 times)

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cascade Surface
« on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:04 PM »
Has Cascade had any snow to speak of this week... Wondering if I need to load the sled or 4 wheeler!

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cascade Surface
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:15 PM »
not sure what you should take, but take a look at Tackle Tom's facebook site, he has a current picture of the lake and the conditions. Hopefully that may help you decide.

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:49 PM »
looking to head up this weekend
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Pete just fore casted 2-4" snow Sat. morning and another 2-4" Sat night. With the cold conditions today and tomorrow things should be nice a firm. Week ago ATV was just fine. Either machine should work. Looks like the plan for me is Monday.

Offline ID fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Thx for the report!Heading to cascade to catch some more kokanee!Have a great weekend all! ;D :tipup:

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Thanks perch.. loaded the buggy just before posting this. I have all 4 chained so I should be good!

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2012, 01:33 PM »
Hey 'Perch',
Think we're gonna have ice into Apr. with all the layers building up?

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2012, 02:49 PM »
it all depends on the weather/earth rotation stuff and when the lake decided too turn over.... but we can all hope that it will stay for awhile, I'm pretty much done unless you call up and say lets go....
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Windy up here today! Should have brought sand bags to hold the shanty down

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2012, 05:16 PM »
Matt,
Not sure of the schedule yet...but don't let your ice gear get too dusty!!! Hehe

Hogger

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Put the shanty to the test today at Cascade. It was super windy. It was nice to see we weren't the only crazy ones out today.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2012, 09:34 PM »
yea it was crazy at my house, I can't imagine what it was like on the ice today, must have been crazy windy, how was the bite?
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2012, 09:48 PM »
For us it was slow, but the desire to chase them wasn't real strong.The Mr. Heater in the shanty was too nice.  It also doesn't help when your ice holes are constantly getting completely drifted over, so detecting bites wasn't easy.
All the perch we caught were small. No jumbos.
The jigger totters were sure getting a work out today!

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2012, 11:40 PM »
Yeah the wind today was nuts....i was marking fish threw everything at em and only left after 7 hours with one keeper.....still was better than a good day at work. I think the pressure of the store killed the bite anyone else on cascade today got any fish reports??
BOWHUNTER68

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:26 AM »
I spent more time trying to keep my shack from sailing across the lake than i did fishing......good test for the canvas i guess...
BOWHUNTER68

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:47 AM »
It sure was crazy yesterday. Fished dawn til dark and brought home 15 keepers with a half dozen jumbos, and threw back a dozen or so dinks along with 2 trout. The morning bite was good, however it was hard to pay attention to all my poles as I was skimming slush from the holes constantly. The wind died down enough in late afternoon to make it more manageable. I did manage to pull my first double of the year on one pole. I saw the first head pop through the hole and was surprised when a second followed.... I love it when that happens!

btw, no shanty or windbreak and had fun....   ;)

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:12 AM »
Well done elkcrazy....i was out at poison and had a heater that wouldnt stay lit and a shack trying to be a kite....should have popped a bunch more holes but as soon as my butt got off the seat things got ugly with my gear....im from back east and we used to spud our holes and were allowed 15 jacks a piece and can remember days being in the -20 sitting in the truck watching for flags with binocs....great times for sure.
BOWHUNTER68

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2012, 05:54 PM »
I hear ya perch... fished 2 for a long time then made it to 3... as things got better I was able to hit 100%.... I found it better to fish areas with no snow and did not bring my box or wheeler by the holes. As soon as a drift started it would filter snow into the holes. I had to switch up my method as I fish kinda old fashioned and handline all my fish after they hit the pole.... After the first fish and spending 20 minutes unwrapping line from my head, glasses and boots I realized that I should start railing with heavier weight to find the bottom....

The crazy in my name defines me rather well... If I have it in my mind to go fishing I AM GOING FISHING... I do have to admit that the weather was much better than fishing in the monsoons on New Years Day!

Bowhunter, I grew up fishing the bays off Lake Ontario and remember getting 21 inches of snow while I was on the ice. Caught a limit of Northerns that day....

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Good times for sure....id take cold or snow all day long but the wind is a game changer for sure...
BOWHUNTER68

Offline ID fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:19 PM »
woohoo!went out sat night at 530 stayed till the threads on the shanty were critical about 730 ,first night fishing on ice!caught a couple trout,went out all day sun caught one jumbo and a few dink perch and a nice trout, bite was very slow!This weekend was hardcore icefishing!To all that braved it ,you know what I mean! :P ;D

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2012, 10:04 PM »
I spoke with my dad tonight whom I learned everything from.... well I thought he taught me everything... when the weather was blowing bad he would take buckets with the bottoms cut out and place them around the holes..... I just may buy me 5 kids pails and cut the bottoms out for when the weather permits. A notch in the side could be cut to hold the rod tip.... If I would have had those on saturday it would have been a whole different story!!!!

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:24 AM »
yes the weather was nuts on sat we went out poison for about 1 1/2 and call in went back out sunday from sugarloaf and got to use my new ATV we did all right end up 15 jumbos fished until 1 in the afternoon had to get home . looking to fish a lot this week as this will me last trips next monday is surgery .

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:12 AM »
my first solo flag happened in a storm like saturdays. I must have been 6 or 7. My dad, his buddy, and myself were all in a permanent shack fishing for walleye. It was as near a white out as you can get and i swore i saw the flag from the tip up farthest out. They didnt believe me so i ran out and pulled up a 10" walleye. We ended up keeping it either because my dad didnt have the heart to tell me couldn't or because it was frozen solid when i finally got back to the shack.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2012, 07:17 PM »
chief,
 i had the green eskimo shack was that you i was chatting with in the parking lot who said you brought your atv when you should have brought the sled?
BOWHUNTER68

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:33 PM »
bowhunter
that was not me it was my friend kuna farmer on the shanty . i just bought a new ATV and had it out sunday with me and the wife. look to be up there friday,sat ,or sunday not which day

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Gotcha....yeah i will be up there sat sun....maybe well see ya there..
BOWHUNTER68

Offline JigginInID

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2012, 01:42 AM »
Perfect day weather wise, didn't find them until afternoon on a flat, then it was fish on for the next 3.5 hours. Kept 25 and started releasing after that.
Been a while since I've found a bite that good, for me anyways. No dinks was a bonus.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2012, 09:24 AM »
good deal... always nice too see the perch still biting.....
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline JigginInID

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Yeah it was nuts. None of that fooling around with the lure, they were hammering it. Bellies full of snails and minnows, the feed was on. Definitely a good day. Nice size to them too, 13-15" only iced two or three under 12". Wish I could find them like that every trip  ::)

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2012, 12:35 PM »
than there would be no big one's... ;)2, i've only found that once this year.... been ok several other times but only one time for about 3 hours I only could run 2 rods cause they were biting so fast.....
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.