The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Vexlar Time?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexlar Time?
« on: Feb 17, 2012, 05:48 AM »
I have been ice fishing for years (mostly pike) but have been getting into pan fishing in the last few years since my 2 boys (8 and 4) started ice fishing with me (they love to smelt and crappie fish).   I am looking at getting a vexlar and  have been doing a little research on the different models. 

So I thought I would ask the experts on here that have been using them for years what kind YOU prefer.  I'm not looking to break the bank on the most expensive models out there.  Any info. would be of great help. 
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline Gillslayer89

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Vexlar Time?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2012, 05:53 AM »
I dont know if you looked into the humminbirds at all but my brother got a humminbird this year and loves it the battery last way longer he has been going on 4 weeks now without charging it, i like like it better the my vex, When my vex dies im going to a humminbird

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2012, 06:34 AM »
I've always been a vex guy, till this year. I had the fl-8 and wanted one with more features(zoom, flat screen dual cone). After shopping and some research I decided on the hum. ice 45. I am not dissapointed!!!   After a rebate of 45.00 I paid 355.00 for my ice 45. A comprable vex with the same features will set you back another 125.00.   I'd waite till next fall when a reabate will again be offered or find one on craigs list.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2012, 06:43 AM »
If you want a basic unit. Go on Vexilar's website and check out the refurbished units. I picked a FL-8se  last year for well under $300. They have the same 2 year warranty as the new vexs.

Offline Sage17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2012, 06:59 AM »
I have fished just all of them. Marcum, hummingbird, and vexilar. In my opinion 1st would be Ice 55, what an awesome unit. I love the adjustable zoom feature. 2nd would be Vexilar. Fished the FL18 and FL20. There is really no difference in these units. 3rd would be the marcum. Fished the LX-5. Battery life sucked. But that new LX-7 looks bad a@@. I guess you would say I am a flasher ho. Lol. Hope you get one. You will add fish to your dinner table and it's an investment of a lifetime. Plus your kids will love it.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2012, 07:52 AM »
Go with a vex i had a 18 for 6 years and now i got the double vision with the 20 in it and it is well worth the investment and the piece of mind that it will work every time u go out and if for some reason something does go wrong they have excellent costumer service...
FISH ON

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I have an FL-8 for the past 3 years and love it despite it being the most basic of all flashers. I would love to have a unit with a bottom zoom feature....maybe next year!

In your situation with two boys I would recommend TWO FL-8(s) because when the fish get popping and they are having all kinds of fun I bet they won't want to share!!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Here's what you really want.

The Lowrance can do anything the vexilar does, the vexilar can't do everything the Lowrance does.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2582526&postcount=20

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:04 AM »
I've always been a vex guy, till this year. I had the fl-8 and wanted one with more features(zoom, flat screen dual cone). After shopping and some research I decided on the hum. ice 45. I am not dissapointed!!!   After a rebate of 45.00 I paid 355.00 for my ice 45. A comprable vex with the same features will set you back another 125.00.   I'd waite till next fall when a reabate will again be offered or find one on craigs list.
I picked up my vex fl18  in november for $380 with shipping from reeds. I am very pleased with it thus far. start small,then if you want more there is plenty of room for improvement or a second unit ;D ;D good luck!
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:01 AM »
I have a Vex fl12 & I love it. You have a tough decision to make,but it sounds like what ever you get,its gonna be good.They all have good features & you will catch more fish.gillcommander is right, you might want to buy 2 of them.them boys wont want to give it up when they are using one !! trust me I know !!!!
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Here's what you really want.

The Lowrance can do anything the vexilar does, the vexilar can't do everything the Lowrance does.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2582526&postcount=20

+1  Looked hard a the flashers and after watching the youtube videos and reading the threads I took the plunge and bought one.  Now I cannot imagine fishing without it - especially for panfish like suspended crappies.  GF liked it too, so much so that I had to buy another one to replace mine that she constantly "borrows".  Price is right too.  Given that you have two young boys, you can spend that extra cash on bait and repairing equipment.   ;)

The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:30 AM »

So I thought I would ask the experts on here that have been using them for years what kind YOU prefer.  I'm not looking to break the bank on the most expensive models out there.   Any info. would be of great help.

Whenever I read this the Lowrance 67 comes to mind
I did a lot of research and comparison and thats what I ended up with

Offline JerryGridder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:48 AM »
I have a vex fl-18 and I fish with my buddy who has the marcum lx-5.  His must work better because he is always catching all the fish.  Seriously when I fish next to him in the shanty I always get phantom lights no matter how many times I hit my IR button, and he doesn't with his marcum.  I do get way better battery life with my vex.  Plus I like my tri-beam cone.  However if I ever buy another I am going to look at the Marcum more seriously.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.  It is still a major advantage over not having one at all.  Plus since there aren't many chicks out there it gives you something to look at. 
Here's to warm shantys and women panties:)

Offline adamills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:09 PM »
personally i think a lowrance x67c or a elite 5 dsi color would be the way to go way more accurate and precise.
drill more holes you'll find,em

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:11 PM »
I have a fl-8 and i catch just as many fish with the basic model as i would with the tricked out model it all on what you want to pay.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2012, 05:30 PM »
I have the 12 and love mine.

Thought about getting bottom zoom, but honestly, I live without it just fine.  It's still pretty easy to tell when fish are on the bottom.

I went with the 12 because it was basically the same price as the 8, but can be used in 200 FOW (I sometimes fish for lakers in deep water).

If I didn't fish deep water, I'd get the 8.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2012, 05:36 PM »
I dont know if you looked into the humminbirds at all but my brother got a humminbird this year and loves it the battery last way longer he has been going on 4 weeks now without charging it, i like like it better the my vex, When my vex dies im going to a humminbird

I am an ice 55 user for about 3 years.  They are great units when running properly.  I just posted in another spot that HB is replacing my ducer 1 year past warranty.  Good customer service but many issues with these units.  I would do a full search on here of Humminbird before buy one.  At least now what you might be getting into. 

Good news...........when running I have not used better (havent tried the Lx7 yet) and their customer service is great.

The bad............still havent worked out the kinks in ice units and a lot of people are having issues.

Offline Mike47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2012, 05:41 PM »
If it was me going for the vex only I say the fl-20. But I sold the fl18 and got an Humminbird ice55 and cant be happier. after the 55 rebate I payed to my door $365.00.
IMG]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q762/MikeGoe49/lx001.jpg[/IMG]

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2012, 07:42 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys....looks like I have some reading to do and a lot of homework  ;D

rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:10 PM »
i'd sell you my hb ice 55 for 325.00 plus shipping
wanting to try the lx-7
works fine, just looking at the newest of new

Offline kingtipup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:05 PM »
I was in the same boat. For the money THe humminbird ICE 35 blows the Vexilar Fl8 out of the water. With zoom at any depth, dual transducer beams, battery indicator- the humminbird was an easy choice. I would strongly consider that ICE 55 for 325.00 from 3300.

Offline itsagr8dayforfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Bought the Marcum Lx5 and really like it alot. Has a super fine line feature that works really well with the bottom hugging fish. 3/4 inch target separation. Battery has been great. Can zoom any part of the water depth. You can dial these things in to where you know it when your bait falls off...no bull_hit. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.