Author Topic: Flasher interference? Will a Vex and other flasher work well in close quarters?  (Read 6148 times)

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just got an FL-18, and I love it.  After seeing one in action, now my fishing buddy is shopping for one.  My question is how to 2 vex's do side by side?  He's thinking on getting a similar model and I don't want to run into problems, we usually fish side by side in a Fatfish 949, so we're fairly close to each other.

I have read about some units (mostly x67's) not working well next to other flashers, anyone have any input for us before he buys one and we end up fishing separately due to equipment?

Tight lines

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
uhh...thanks Pooley.  Mine has IR too, but I'm trying to avoid units that don't play nice together.

Let's not start the my flasher is better thing again....I just want to hear from guys that have used X flasher beside X or Y flasher.
Tight lines

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished my ice55  5 feet away from an fl20 in 55fow last year for a whole day.  No problems.  Vex and bird play nice together.  Have not had my lx5 in close quarters with a vex yet so I'm not sure how that will go, but my marcum and 55 don't give each other any problem either. 

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, thanks!
Tight lines

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Sonar units using the same frequency will interfere with each other. Vex and Marcum use 200 Khz. HB uses different frequencies so they play well with Marcum and Vex. It is like two radio stations in the same area transmitting on the same frequency. That is why flashers have IR built in. My son has an old Micronar FL8 and when he fishes next to my LX5, I'm the one that gets interference and I use IR to tune it out. Another way to reduce interference is to switch to a narrow transducer angle.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ice dawg - that makes good sense.  I guess I should stop trying to convince my buddy that Vex is the way to go.  I've never really needed my IR, does anyone know if it just 'dims' the sensitivity or if it bumps the frequency?

Anyone ever try 2 vex's in close proximity?
Tight lines

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Vexes work ok together if you use IR. Marcums put out more power and and seem to cause more interference. Using IR on one of the flashers will usually clear most or all of it up. My son's Micronar FL8 is just and old version of a Vex Fl8 that doesn't have the IR function.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
I've fished close quarters with people with different brands of flashers and the IR feature on the trusty FL-8 has always kept things in control.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
My son and I both use FL8s, and we have to mess with the IR off and on to keep down the interference. The few times I've been near a Marcum, interference was much worse. Never been around anything else.
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline jhill

• IceShanty Rookie
My dad has an older FL18, gets no problems from my Showdown DB or vice versa...i assume teh LX3/5 is the same.  I've had LX5 and Showdown sidexside, no problems.  Humminbird supposedly plays nice with everyone but themselves. :-\

Basically i think all the newer ones with IR will be fine depending on the settings.  Might be good to have one with Digital Depth though if you do always fish together?  Seems to be a tish easier to find a spot with the digital depth, but that's all preference i guess.

I wouldn't think interference is much of a factor...would just get whatever flasher features seems best match for what you want.

Bullelk34

You'll be fine Dave. I have an FL12, my wife has an FL8, and a buddy of ours has a Humminbird. Usually I just set my IR to clear interference, no problems at all.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
I just got an lx5 this year and I am noticing ALOT of interference when around vexilars! Sometimes its very hard to tune all the interference out. Never had this problem with my vexilar fishing near other vexilars. Not sure what to think about it yet. Its weird though, even when not anywhere close to others "beam", I get tones of interference! Just an fyi.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have never had an interference issue on my LX-5 when fishing next to Vex's, most can say the same about theirs next to mine but not all....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Both of my LX5's (new and old version) will get some interference from some vex's.  At other times, mine has no problems.  It just depends.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
If you don't clear the ice thickness you got problems. Other wise not too bad.  Of course this season I fished 4 foot water with the duce just touching the water. Never heard complaints though.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline CLbrad

• IceShanty Rookie
I was out on  with my marcum and fished with two groups one group had 3 vex's and we were all hitting fish within a 10'sf area with no issues. second group including my marcum were 3, all marcum's and we had no issues. I never even hit the interference button. I have a vx1 pro.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
I fish with my fl20 and lx3tc 2.5feet apart in 15FOW, I can adjust to have 0 interference, and in the same fatfish 9416 have had a fl18 and a humminbird 35, the fl18 does not like to be too close to the fl20, its a little sensitive.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
The people that say X67c's have trouble with interference are the same people that don't know how to turn on the interference reduction.

I run a X67c and a Vexilar side by side when my wife is fishing with me. The X67c doesn't have any problems with interference. I turn the Interference reduction on LOW and its good to go. On the other hand the Vexilar has all sorts of problems with interference no matter what IR setting its using.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
I've fished close quarters with people with different brands of flashers and the IR feature on the trusty FL-8 has always kept things in control.

NBG

I just experienced this over the weekend. 6-8 of us in close quarters. Us with the Vex's were getting interference (no matter how many times I hit the IR button on my old FL-8... she was lit up 360* ). Guys with a Markem...no issues. We were in about 60' of water.  ???
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
huh...well, I thought I had it figured out.  I have the FL-18, and my fishing buddy wants a flasher.  We always fish very close, and he wants a vex.  Judging from earlier replies I would've thought 2 vex's would be good together...but now I'm confused. 

Let's hear from some others that use 2 flashers within the same 3 man pop-up  ???
Tight lines

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
My son has an FL8 and I have an FL18 and we fish together in the same shanty with no problems. When we fish in the same shanty with his FL8 and my LX5, I have had the interference on my LX5 and cleared it up with one push of the IR button. Humminbird Ice series flashers use a different frequency than Vex or Marcum and should play well with either of them.

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just fished in a snobear the other day and we had two fl20's and a fl 12 and there was no problems.
Gunnerdog

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Seems like a real mixed-experience here.  I would think (based on same frequencies) that 2 of the same flashers together would be bad, guess my buddy will just have to buy one and try it out

Any of you guys try the Vex tri-beam?  I want to get one so I can have a more narrow beam for deep water and drop offs, I get a lot of  'dead zone' when fishing steep drop offs, but I've heard mixed reviews about it with lots of complaints.
Tight lines

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

i have fished my 67c next to every model vex ,marcum and the humming bird and with a little adjustment on both units interference was cleared up 

Offline Mowser4104

• Team IceShanty Regular
I had my fl18 and lx7 out yesterday all day they were less than 4 foot apart and had no problem.
Life's to short live it as if you don't have tomarrow.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
So...would it be possible that the age (15 years) of my FL-8 have anything to do with the amount of interference it picks up?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Age can be a factor in that your transducer cable will get minor damage from use just because eventually everything manufactured will wear out. With my old guitar cords (basically the same as the transducer cable) you can actually hear the noise (interference) as static and crackling sounds. Too bad it's not as easy to replace just the cable. Probably going to take a new ducer/cable combination to get our older units back to perfect condition. BUT - that's probably all it will take.

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Seems like a real mixed-experience here.  I would think (based on same frequencies) that 2 of the same flashers together would be bad, guess my buddy will just have to buy one and try it out

Any of you guys try the Vex tri-beam?  I want to get one so I can have a more narrow beam for deep water and drop offs, I get a lot of  'dead zone' when fishing steep drop offs, but I've heard mixed reviews about it with lots of complaints.

Two flashers and you will be FINE, trust me.  We fish 4 flashers in a crank down shanty on occasion (this can cause interference war).  I have found 3 vex's and below there is basically no issue.  Get more than 3 and you are always on the button.

I have NEVER run into an issue fishing 2 vex's side by side.  If you have 2 side by side and they are throwing bad interference there is most likely somehting faulty with a unit.

There should be no mixed opinions on this.  I have been fishing with or around vexilars for many many years and have never seen 2 units disrupt each other. 

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
In regards to tri or dual beams......IMO the only great beam is a narrow one.  But I rarely, if ever, fish in less than 10' of water.  I have a 19 and 9 dual beam and never use the 19 setting.  That is just my opinion.  The narrow beam is a great and a must imo if you are fishing a decent depth. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
Age can be a factor in that your transducer cable will get minor damage from use just because eventually everything manufactured will wear out. With my old guitar cords (basically the same as the transducer cable) you can actually hear the noise (interference) as static and crackling sounds. Too bad it's not as easy to replace just the cable. Probably going to take a new ducer/cable combination to get our older units back to perfect condition. BUT - that's probably all it will take.

NBG

My ducer is only 2 years old and I also cleaned the brushes prior to this season  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.