The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Armor Suit?  (Read 2911 times)

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Armor Suit?
« on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:31 PM »
I notice a bunch of you guys wear the Ice Armor suits, How do you like them? How do they do in the Wyoming breeze? Im thinking about gettin one or the gray Frabill suit. Any thoughts?

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Armor Suit?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:42 PM »
I've had mine for two years I love it. Almost never sit in a house, one time this year it was 0 with a breeze. Breaks the wind great as with anything dress in layers. On thing that happens when drilling holes I get sweaty. I like to run and gun so I drill a ton of holes.  Have learned to strip down then layer up again.

I think there all good. I would shop for the best deal.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:54 PM »
I like mine.  My old outfit got too wet when there was slush  and water on the ice.  My suit is pretty much waterproof.  Like appleye said though, if you run and gun a lot it may as well not be water proof... you'll sweat.  They are warm.  But they are also very wind resistant... even when you are soaked from runnin and gunnin!!!  I've also learned to take my layers off while I'm moving around a lot.

I think it is worth the investment... I have a lot of gear, power auger, rods, tackle, flasher, shelter, etc... it was actually the last thing I purchased and I think maybe it should have been the first.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Had mine a couple of years and seriously it's a shanty unto itself. Under my bibs I wear jeans and for the upper body, a Carhart long-sleeved T over an Under Armor long-sleeve shirt, followed by a hoodie. Most of the time I fish and move from hole to hole or spot to spot with no jacket like appleye says. Only if it's windy, or seriously cold, do I put on the jacket. The jacket hood is fairly large, and putting your back to the wind with the hood up, it gets warm inside the suit.

I do have a ProTC flip and pretty much only get into it when I'm tired of hole hopping and/or feel like taking my jacket off.

* My daughter gave me a pair of waterproof Ice Armor gloves for Christmas a few years back and they are the best gloves I've had for ice fishing too btw.

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply's guy's.... How is the fitment on them? Im 6'4" 220lbs thinking a 2XL for added length?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:45 PM »
I'm a tad over 6' and 225-230 during the winter, 205 during my summer runs lol, and went with the XXL for the added length in the sleeves and bibs. I get XL Tall in Carharts which fit perfect. The XXL fits perfect in length but is a bit roomy in the chest, which is fine for any extra layering. I'm happy with it.

Offline FireonIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:39 AM »
I also have an Ice Armour suit, the grey one.  This year it has been worth its weight in gold.  I have been out twice when it decided to rain in winter..... I stayed completely dry the whole time and never got wet even after the rain stopped.  I can't say the same about my friends in their Carharts though..... I have never gotten cold and I agree it makes a guy tend to not set up his shanty.  Very very warm also.  I would recommend one to everyone that has the means to get one.  @)
Bojo

Offline FireonIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:42 AM »
I also forgot.... If you get the suit get some boots that are equally water resistant and warm.  I have a pair of the Muck Artic Ice I think is what they are called and they make the perfect combination with my suit.  Feet never get wet or cold and usually fish in just a normal pair of socks......  :tipup:
Bojo

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:33 AM »
I have and use the blue suit, very nice and comfortable. Not adequate for any thing below zero though.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2012, 11:09 AM »
Ok guys I need comparison.  I use carharts and they work. Give me reasons why I should by a suit.  I to have been thinking of buying one but I look at my carharts and UHHH whats the difference? As for price they are about the same. So I need a good comparison to the difference that makes me go and buy one.  Please give pros and cons. Thanks. 
No one left behind.     

Offline Bloodndaboat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2012, 11:22 AM »
I tried on the XL ice armor suit at a local retailer and didn't like the way they fit.  The legs and bib seemed short and the padding in the knees and seat seemed bulky and uncomfortable.  I really only needed bibs so I wound up buying the Frabill FXE bibs.  Neoprene for the knee pads and seat, much more flexible and comfortable, and very warm.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2012, 12:28 PM »
arctic Armor, because they float, and you never really know when you will need it, been looking at this one for a little while, there are other suits out there but only a couple that float and since the kids have come been looking at more safety devices to keep me around to watch them grow, and maybe even keep them safe while out with me.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Ok guys I need comparison.  I use carharts and they work. Give me reasons why I should by a suit.  I to have been thinking of buying one but I look at my carharts and UHHH whats the difference? As for price they are about the same. So I need a good comparison to the difference that makes me go and buy one.  Please give pros and cons. Thanks.
If your Carharts work for you, I'd stick with them. I wear Carhart jeans, shirts, jackets and hoodies at work and still picked up a IA suit, wouldn't trade it. Read all the posts on IA, Strikers, Arctic Armor, etc and no one will have to make a pro/con list. Have you heard anyone say they wish they'd never bought one?

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2012, 01:53 PM »
If your Carharts work for you, I'd stick with them. I wear Carhart jeans, shirts, jackets and hoodies at work and still picked up a IA suit, wouldn't trade it. Read all the posts on IA, Strikers, Arctic Armor, etc and no one will have to make a pro/con list. Have you heard anyone say they wish they'd never bought one?
Very true I believe I'm going to be investing in a suite in the near future.
No one left behind.     

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:16 PM »
I too wear Carharts (bibs and coat plus hooded sweatshirt) but the bulk is why I want to try something else....

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:31 PM »
I love my ice armour grey suit its very warm. I usually do alot of riding on the ice and last year we rode when it was -25 with a 25 mph wind and the only thing that was cold was my face. I also have a mustang integrety suit that floats for any king of iffy situations. its warm but they dont breath so you sweat alot in them but its worth the $500 if you need it.
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2012, 05:50 AM »
I also have an Artic Armour Plus suit. When you wear something that is specifically designed for the job ice fishing, open water fishing in a boat under nasty conditions these suit are hard to beat. Some of the things I like are, all the pockets both on the bibs and the jacket. I also like the padded weatherproof butt and knees I fish form my knees a lot while jigging, now I have noticed if I set up in water after a while they will get wet through but only after i have been in open water for quite a while. Here is a pretty nice feature on the suit I wear, If you need to get old Willie out  :woot: to go to the bathroom it does not get any better the the Artic Armour suit. I also agree that I tend not to set up a house because they are very wind and waterproof. I still for time to time don't wear it it can be to warm and I have other waterproof bibs that are lighter. Those are some of the pros, there are also Cons but will have to list them latter.  I have to leave now, going fishing.

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:24 AM »
I also have an Artic Armour Plus suit. When you wear something that is specifically designed for the job ice fishing, open water fishing in a boat under nasty conditions these suit are hard to beat. Some of the things I like are all the pockets both on the bibs and the jacket. I also like the padded weatherproof butt and knees I fish for my knees a lot while jigging, now I have noticed if I set up in water after a while they will get wet through but only after i have been in open water for quite a while. Here is a pretty nice feature on the suit I wear, If you need to get old Willie out  :woot: to go to the bathroom it does not get any better the the Artic Armour suit. I also agree that I tend not to set up a house because they are very wind and waterproof. I still for time to time don't wear it it can be to warm and I have other waterproof bibs that are lighter. Those are the cons there is also Cons. But I have to leave going fishing.

I couldnt agree more with cargo on this,I own a red arctic suit and love it,the only thing for me I dont like is I have to take my boots off to put the bibs on or take it off,they needed to run the zipper up the leg farther like my carharts for easier axcess but other than that its a great suit
Randy

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:33 AM »
Thanks guys, Now it just blue or grey?  I like the idea for using it for rainy boat days in early spring.  Froze last spring on desmit with the wind and little rain.  My rain gear keeped me dry but man I was frozen to the bone.  Plus the near death experiance with the hale force wind.
No one left behind.     

Offline Bullride21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:03 AM »
I have the arctic armor plus suit and the arctic muck boots.  They float and if you use that feature once,  they just paid for themselves.  I am never cold in them, no matter what the conditions.

Offline FireonIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2012, 12:11 PM »
The gray suit provides a few more features and I believe provides more warmth than the blue suit.  The blue suit is their base line bottom end suit.....
Bojo

Offline jimmyjames

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2012, 12:29 PM »
Gander mountain has Ice Armor suits for 165.00ish depending on your size that's bibs and parka

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2012, 04:23 PM »
I have the artic armour in camo color in case i want to use it to goose hunt. no complaints what so ever. like the peace of mind knowing it will float if needed although i still dont take any chances that i wouldnt with out a floating suit. I have used a shelter one time this year alot of times i just take my small propane bottle and use my four wheeler for a wind break. keeps me mobile and warm.

Offline FGRfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2012, 08:50 PM »
I bought the insulated Ice Armor suit (grey one) this year and I it's by far the best purchase I've made for ice fishing.  Spent one night on the ice for burbot when it was -6F with a breeze and only wished I had Ice Armor gloves.  My body was toasty.  I also did a boat trip in December when it was 28F with 10-20 mph winds, but once again, I was toasty.  I'm super impressed with the suit in terms of wind and water repellency.  I'm 6'3" and 190 lbs and went with the XL.  Perfect choice in terms of mobility.  It's also a lot lighter in weight than Carhartts, Walls, or similar winter gear, so you're really comfy chasing down tip-ups/rods, walking long distances, etc.  You'll be stripping layers when you're working the gear though.  My only complaint is there are so many pockets between the jacket and bibs, that I lose some of my fishing gear!

Offline ratfink1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep some, eat some, and let some go!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Ive had min for 2 years the only thing i don't like is don't get it to close to your muffler on your ice auger

Offline fish-core

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:40 PM »

on sale at gander mountain.com they've got 2x if thats what your lookin for! online only. this is where i got mine!!! but i went and tried em on at the store first! tried postin a link but didnt work. 179.99 with free shipping!

Offline fish-core

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:40 PM »
forgot to mention that was the ice armor suit

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Just got my Artic Armor Camo suit today. I got it for a little over $300. I already love it and I will most likely have to wait till next year to try it out. Thanks for all the info on this post. I also want to thank ratfink1 for helping with me also... Now to figure what type of flasher I should get...????
Benwyo

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:25 PM »

Waterproofing simply put.  I just switched to snowmobile bibs from carharts this year.  Love my carharts but will never go back to something that is not waterproof.

Offline eye_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tight Lines and Cold beer
« Reply #29 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Waterproofing simply put.  I just switched to snowmobile bibs from carharts this year.  Love my carharts but will never go back to something that is not waterproof.

Fully agree, I have a Spider jacket and some fleetfarm waterproof bibs and it makes the difference between a good day and bad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.