Author Topic: Trip to Green bay...  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
Trip to Green bay...
« on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:57 AM »
Decided to head north for the weekend.Temps dropped to single digits and wind was CRAAAAAZY.Decided it wasnt a good idea to hit the bay first 2 days becouse of the wind.Hit WC for 2 days then east side of the bay on the the 3rd.Ya didnt dare get outa the shanty or it was rocket.

The whitefish we went for sunday was absoulty an awesome time,had 15 at least between the both of us and hopefully the 21 I`m puttin in the trny takes it.Big jump from 16 to my 21..Crossin fingers on that one.... JT (Modified just looked while posting and Mine aint gonna do it,23 was put up,,Dang it man..lol)

I got to use the LX-7 while I was there..I have to say it really is an awesome unit to mark fish and the seperation is top-notch.The options it has are as sweet as it comes with a unit like this,easy to find and set differant depths with zoom,backlight and many more.
 I did have a few things I would have to change with this one though.The weight is crazy heavy,but with a unit of this caliber what can ya expect.
 The carry handle NOT GOOD AT ALL.its not balanced hard to grab the back of the unit.Your actually lifting it by the case and not with a molded base.It would definatly feel better carring around a 6-7 hundred dollar unit with something that felt more secure,instead of it feeling like the unit is gonna fall right out the front of the soft case.
 The transducer arm was good except for the hole where the cord went thru,it was WAY to big and the opening was at the front,so when you lifted it outa the hole it sometimes slipped out.Bigger rubber stopper and smaller hole would solve this issue.
 Again,the units picture and read out was second to none,I hope they work on the ergonomics of this unit so it matchs the awesome read outs it gives you.

Had a great time up north we ended up with 6 eyes (4 shorties),4 of the fattest crappies i`ve seen for bein 10-12 inchs,and a couple little fatty perch.
Did I mention those guys talk funny up there...lmao..Great group of guys to hang with for the weekend.Cant wait,might make a late ice trip too...

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trip to Green bay...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:18 AM »
Yeah the wind was nuts this weekend! We fished all day without a shanty! Gald to see you got on some fish and it looks like you are giving the WhiteFish boys a run for their money! Pulling for ya!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Wtg on gettin after them toothy critters!! Sounds like ya had a rough one out there but at least ya was fishin.

Offline Crappie slayer35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Very nice Hoosier!! Wish we could get some of that weather around here as I would much rather fish a few more weeks on the hard water before I get the boat out and start chasing the gills and crappie. AndOh did I mention those spawning toothy predators making their way up the rivers as we speak.
I don't give in till I get enough!!!

Offline WalleyeHunter84

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " Flag Down "
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Wow, did alot better than I did on my trip to Lake Alice in tomahawk!  Was going to spend a day on the bay but heard more stories of ice sheeets breaking off and taking people out in to the lake
"The Dirty Andy"

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2012, 12:00 PM »
Great report Dude!  I loved your take on the 7.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Great report Dude!  I loved your take on the 7.

"TADA"!!!!!!!!   LMAO

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2012, 12:27 PM »
Nice looking fish JT. Glad ya got to get on some more ice. I'm ready for more bass in open water now that I've got a taste of it this year already.That and I can't get Summit to grow another 1 1/2 inches. LOL
Paul

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2012, 01:09 PM »

"TADA"!!!!!!!!   LMAO

That would be the 2nd.....you're lagging Stueb!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2012, 02:36 PM »

"TADA"!!!!!!!!   LMAO

LOL.....I gotta check my pm's to let everyone know where the hot bite is!  I give the big "Nannu" to Morc!!!!!!   ;)

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2012, 02:53 PM »
funny excrement right there!
But....not to derail this thread, Glad you had a good trip JT

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Lake Mich is an awesome whitefish lake, most anglers keep the very good spots on the quiet side for good reasons. I went out last year several times for them and wacked em everytime. The best day was 40 in 2 hours the biggest being 6 pounds. The biggest I have ever seen taken was 8 pounds. Those were taken in open water and were weighed on good digital scales. Although I typically see the avg white around 12-16 inches. They are actually fairly difficult fish to get in big numbers lots of tricks to it. It would be nice to get some through the ice though but it's hard to leave good steelheading to catch whites. 

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:12 AM »
Did I mention those guys talk funny up there...lmao..Great group of guys to hang with for the weekend.Cant wait,might make a late ice trip too...
[/quote]Probably got a bunch of (Don't Ya Knows) And (You Betchas) LOL I was thinking on heading up that way. Can't seem to talk the wife into it. LOL
Gator Nation

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:20 PM »
you are right on that one,one great group of guys,you betcha.Think I`m gonna try for a late ice trip this year too.Looks like they are startin to get alittle snow,it was pretty light when i went up there.Alot of fluffy stuff,wind made some pretty good drifts to cut through,but alot of slick ice for easy walkin..

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:53 AM »
Nice job on the whitefish.  Hadn't ever ate that until last spring.  Tried whitefish at Bonefish Grill and it was excellent tasting fish.  Wish I could get a few of those guys to cook up for the wife and I.

Offline Mondo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:17 AM »
Did you use an outfitter or guide for the trip or did you freelance?
He who hesitates is lost!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:13 AM »
Sauteed Whitefish Liver is supposed to be the bomb!
Never tried it but I'm willing!

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Went on my own,been there several times,so I got friends that live there.white fish is really good smoked and I don't eat fish but maybe once a year.next time I go,be happy to drop a few off on the way back....

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Dont eat fish :o :o.  You are just like my neighbor.  He's got a boat and loves to fish but wont ever eat any of them.  His mother is from Russia so I clean the fish and give to him to take to his parents.  When I give them fish she always makes me a huge platter of russian cabbage rolls.  Well worth the trade.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.