New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Under water camera  (Read 1181 times)

Offline backwoods boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin I was fishin
Under water camera
« on: Feb 11, 2012, 06:31 PM »
thinking about bying a underwater camera for icefishing. All the lakes i fish in are not clear though, will it work? ???

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
Re: Under water camera
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Stick with a flasher. I bought the Aquavu Micro and returned it immediately. Now I know the micro is a bad comparison to all other cameras... I wouldn't throw your money away on one.

Offline noflagstoday

• IceShanty Rookie
  • im just here for the fun of it!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:57 AM »
bought one.not worth it.great in shallow water,not so in deeper.buy a flasher.

Offline silveroak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:31 PM »
I Agree...With the exception of Silver Lake, the camera will be a waste of money.  A Flasher, is invaluable.
"What color you got on?"  ... "THE RIGHT ONE!"

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:58 PM »
flaher is the way to go.you cant fish for fish such as lake trout with a camera because they can be suspended throughout a water column, and the deeper you fish with a camera the more you will have to worry about ur catch getting wrapped up in the cord. however if u bring a kid out a camera will keep them much more occupied then a flasher.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline deadbaitjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • can`t drink all day if udon`t start in the morning
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2012, 02:09 PM »
yes it will work.
depending how dirty the water is will determin how far you can see.
mine is a cheep fish tv ,cloudy water i can see at least 5' or so
still enough to see the bite

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I have had a cabelas 360 camera for a couple of years now and found few lakes it work on.  Champlain Hudson river and dirty water is a no way.   George and Saratoga are the only 2 I have found to see more then 5 feet on.  I don't recamend them were I fish.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:51 PM »
I've got a flasher and buddies got a cam.  The flasher is way easier to set up and hole jump with, the camera is cool cause you can identify the species and see them hit the jig.  Personal preference i guess, or you could get the best of both worlds with a vexilar double vision ;D

Offline Mexico Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I do love my Show Down and yes it will show you fish and different depths. I also have the Aqua-Vu MAV and although the water is cloudy I can still easily see my lure and what is checking it out. I can pull it away from the dinks and leave my lure in the water longer looking for the bigger girls.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:35 PM »
both work great. id rather stair at real fish than a line on my vex though

Offline yesjacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • yea
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Ive got a camera and a flasher, when im fishing clear water with lots of perch where you dont need to move it makes for an awesome day. Helps to get away from all the dinks.  The gf doesnt let me use it when she goes. However, conditions need to be right to use it.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:31 PM »
I just used a camera I picked up at Harbor Freight for 75 bucks on Sunday and it was.......... AWESOME!  The St. Lawrence River is clear due to all the invasive zebra mussels and could see pretty darn well.  I saw a lot of perch, then they'd scatter due to a pike, then I'd throw a pike minnow on another jig rod and try to catch him... I got it once, broke me off at the hole.  All the perch came back.  Fished for them then they scattered.  In the meantime, I re-tied and dropped another pike minnow down.  The same pike stalked my bait for a while, then WHAM, fish on!  again, got it up to the hole, and broke off.  Although that pike never came back and appeared to be about an 8-10lber, I did get smart and tie a steel leader on and managed to catch another one but this time landed it... It was too small so back down she went.  I also watched another pike swim fast in and take a perch!

For the same hole, I had my Lowrance and the camera.  I turned the lowrance off after I dialed the cam in because I could actually see what was happening and which fish to jig away from.... For now, I'll bring both, but if I'm in clear water and cam is working good, you bet I'm using it.

Offline Fishhunter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:17 PM »
i have both a flasher as well as underwater camera. i dont bring the camera unless im bringing someone new to fishing or someone who enjoys watching the fish while fishing. me personally, flasher is the way to go. it can be dialed in alot better for a clear picture.

Offline panman33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:01 PM »
i fish mainly gills n crappies i use a camera 100% of the time n love it tells me what they want n how they r acting!!
SLABBIESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline freezerfiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2012, 08:12 AM »
I use my camera all the time but I usually fish shallower and clearer water.  Really helps to see how the fish are reacting to the different baits and jiggin techniques.  Honestly, when the water is too muddy to see em in the camera, the bite is usually terrible anyway.  At least a flasher tells you that theres fish around

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2012, 07:02 AM »
i have a camera and flasher for may years... id say flasher first   that way youre covered no matter what water conditions are. but i must also say that when using the camera i have noticed that with the flasher no matter which 1 theres about 6 inches on the bottom you dont see even in zoom. with the camera if you can see, you see the bottom. and that 6 inches can hold some big perch  when theyre tight... i hadnt takin my cam out in awhile till the other day. fishin 32 fow and tons of dink perch.. the cam helped me keep the dinks off and also got to see a bunch of eyes go thru and crappie...    ;D  so best case is have both if possible...  i really enjoy watchin the fish tv when possible the things you see are something.   like a muddog who wouldnt go away cause he liked the cam so much....my buddy finally hooked him and took him a ways away.... goodluck
youngster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.