The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Glen Lake  (Read 20885 times)

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Glen Lake
« Reply #90 on: Feb 23, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Actually, I haven't fished trout this year.  I fish all species. This year tried pike 2x's and have caught 19 pike.  They are easier to catch than trout....on average.  This year I'm into panfish.  Got the flasher, and now mostly enjoy catching perch, gills and crappie.  More fun than sitting for hours waiting for a flag, I think.
If you are fishing for pecker pole pike maybe they are ez to catch fish for big pike you may change your mind!

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:08 AM »
Sorry man, got a little amped on the topic. Just hate having to defend a fish I like, mostly from trout people in NH who can't stand the thought of having places with pike in them because there are too many precious salmon and trout that can't survive on their own without being stocked, never mind with other fish living in there. I caught some crappies last weekend for the first time this year, it's is pretty fun. I'm waiting for that one big flag though ;)

I am going to try and head out to VT someplace next weekend with my bud and chase some gators you interested if we go? Saw the pics at steve looks like you had a good trip on Champlain!
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:31 AM »
I am going to try and head out to VT someplace next weekend with my bud and chase some gators you interested if we go? Saw the pics at steve looks like you had a good trip on Champlain!

Man I would love to go- unfortunately I leave for Florida for a week today and won't be back till later next weekend. However, depending on weather and such I have been thinking about at least looking at the ice up in the Champlain area for the weekend of the 10th and 11th. If the weather keeps on like this though I bet the ice will be long gone. If we don't get out this year, we'll have to try next year for sure! Let me know how the ice is if you get out

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:09 AM »
If you are fishing for pecker pole pike maybe they are ez to catch fish for big pike you may change your mind!

If I drank beer while on the ice.....I might be able to tolerate Pike fishing.  But I have to drive, so I don't drink on the ice, unless I get a ride.   I'm just not a big fan of sitting all day waiting for 1 flag.  Not knocking the hardcore Pike guys that DO sit all day.....it's just not my cup of tea.  I'd rather have constant action.  There's no skill in hooking a minnow and letting it soak.  No skill at all.  I'd much rather take my jig stick and chase crappie and perch around.  Just sayin...   
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:23 AM »
i m no "hard-core pike guy" but it doesnt take a genius to figure out theres more to hooking a minnow to catch big pike consistantly...especia lly if your not fishing champlain and fishing smaller bodies of water ....
yesterday i was fishing for pike with tip-ups and jigging for perch , i didnt catch pike all day !
Out of the other 5 guys out next to me with a max amount of tip-ups only one 28" pike was caught ... to me , thats not what i d call easy  @)
oh ya , managed 10 perch over a pound so i still did ok  ;)

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:29 AM »
If I drank beer while on the ice.....I might be able to tolerate Pike fishing.  But I have to drive, so I don't drink on the ice, unless I get a ride.   I'm just not a big fan of sitting all day waiting for 1 flag.  Not knocking the hardcore Pike guys that DO sit all day.....it's just not my cup of tea.  I'd rather have constant action.  There's no skill in hooking a minnow and letting it soak.  No skill at all.  I'd much rather take my jig stick and chase crappie and perch around.  Just sayin...   
You got it, no skill at all! ::)

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:47 AM »

Go out with someone who targets big pike sometime. I bet you'll find there's a lot more to it than that. I won't speak for everyone but I'm sure not gonna be under the table when I do get a big strike or fishing in an area where the big ones live. (not to say you can't enjoy a brew or two on the ice)

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Man I would love to go- unfortunately I leave for Florida for a week today and won't be back till later next weekend. However, depending on weather and such I have been thinking about at least looking at the ice up in the Champlain area for the weekend of the 10th and 11th. If the weather keeps on like this though I bet the ice will be long gone. If we don't get out this year, we'll have to try next year for sure! Let me know how the ice is if you get out

sounds good buddy have a fun and safe trip!

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:05 PM »
i m no "hard-core pike guy" but it doesnt take a genius to figure out theres more to hooking a minnow to catch big pike consistantly...especia lly if your not fishing champlain and fishing smaller bodies of water ....
yesterday i was fishing for pike with tip-ups and jigging for perch , i didnt catch pike all day !
Out of the other 5 guys out next to me with a max amount of tip-ups only one 28" pike was caught ... to me , thats not what i d call easy  @)
oh ya , managed 10 perch over a pound so i still did ok  ;)

I could train a monkey to set out tip ups and catch pike.  There's a big difference between skill and patience.  While some may think it takes skill to sit for long hours waiting for "the big one".....I disagree.  Doesn't take a whole lotta skill to hook a large minnow and then go wait for a fish to eat it.

There.....I bet I just made a bunch of friends...lol   :o
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:23 PM »
I could train a monkey to set out tip ups and catch pike.  There's a big difference between skill and patience.  Well some may think it takes skill to sit for long hours waiting for "the big one".....I disagree.  Doesn't take a whole lotta skill to hook a large minnow and then go wait for a fish to eat it.

There.....I bet I just made a bunch of friends...lol

but it takes a lot of skill to put a maggot on a hook and move it up and down , while watching a screen telling you where the 10" fish are   ???
just saying its differant not easy

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:40 PM »
but it takes a lot of skill to put a maggot on a hook and move it up and down , while watching a screen telling you where the 10" fish are   ???
just saying its differant not easy

The common theme amongst "hardcore" pike fishermen that are chasing state records is that they are willing to sit all day and NOT catch a fish.  Many of them have been fishing the same spot since 1975.  This takes skill?  Maybe a little, but it takes a LOT more patience than skill.

If I laid under an apple tree with my mouth open long enough.....eventually an apple will fall into my mouth....but would that make me a good apple picker?  Not really   ;D

2GUYZ FISHING

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:42 PM »
The common theme amongst "hardcore" pike fishermen that are chasing state records is that they are willing to sit all day and NOT catch a fish.  Many of them have been fishing the same spot since 1975.  This takes skill?  Maybe a little, but it takes a LOT more patience than skill.

If I laid under an apple tree with my mouth open long enough.....eventually an apple will fall into my mouth....but would that make me a good apple picker?  Not really   ;D
thats funny ;D ;D

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:00 PM »
but if your a hunter and u relate it to hunting , do you sit in a stand and wait ?

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:02 PM »
also whats your biggest pike ?
maybe you just havent caught one big enough to get excited about yet  ;D

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:12 PM »
also whats your biggest pike ?
maybe you just havent caught one big enough to get excited about yet  ;D

I mostly bow hunt.  Really no comparison.  Bow hunting takes a lot of skill.  If I was using a snare to catch deer while waiting at camp.....maybe you could draw a comparison?  But honestly, you're not serious....are you?

I haven't fished pike enough times to get the "big one".  I caught a bunch of average size (24"-30"), but I'd rather catch a 2 pound Crappie on 2 pound test.  Probably just as challenging to land that fish as a 15 pound pike with 30 pound braid.

Pike are dumb fish.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:22 PM »
just saying ...everyone does things differant and if you ve never "done it" (caught a big pike) who are you to say its easy ?
i fish for alotta differant fish and i dont think ones easier than another maybe just differant ...like i said i caught 5 perch the other day that made master angler , was really easy...but i bet others would say its not easy if they ve never done it  ;)

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #106 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:27 PM »
what's the point in arguing among ourselves what kind of fishing is best, ANY kind of fishing is better than NO fishing.Some guys like to stalk deer,some like to sit,,,who CARES?   stupid is as stupid does

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Just to be clear, I never said it was easy.  In fact I find it extremely difficult to sit for hours without catching fish.  I'm addicted to catching fish.

I classify pike fisherman in 2 classes......the hardcore guys like the guy mentioned in this thread......and the weekend warriors that choose Pike fishing because they are more likely to catch Pike than other species.  Tip up fishing is more geared for the guys that want to have a social event with their buds.  Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't cut it for a guy like me that's addicted to catching fish. 

I respect the hardcore pike guys.  I would get bored doing that, however.

All kidding aside, my buddy and I have had this discussion several times.  I used to be primarily a tipup guy, but this year my flavor of fishing has changed.  Now I kind of agree with my buddy when be says " tipup fishing is lazy".
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:42 PM »
what's the point in arguing among ourselves what kind of fishing is best, ANY kind of fishing is better than NO fishing.Some guys like to stalk deer,some like to sit,,,who CARES?   stupid is as stupid does

Relax, it's all in good fun.  Nobody's arguing, we're just having a stimulating discussion.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Relax, it's all in good fun.  Nobody's arguing, we're just having a stimulating discussion.

then i m missing out because i m not stimulated !  ;D

Offline Fowlhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:54 PM »
I can't believe that I spent 20 minutes of my life reading this crap!!!

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 24, 2012, 03:07 PM »
Like I said, I used to be on the other side of this discussion.  I used to try to explain to my buddy how pike fishing and tipup fishing in general....was better than jig fishing.  Then one day, while filling my bucket with jumbo perch and slab crappie....I realized my buddy was right.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Feb 24, 2012, 03:37 PM »
I could train a monkey to set out tip ups and catch pike.  There's a big difference between skill and patience.  While some may think it takes skill to sit for long hours waiting for "the big one".....I disagree.  Doesn't take a whole lotta skill to hook a large minnow and then go wait for a fish to eat it.

There.....I bet I just made a bunch of friends...lol   :o

Let me know when you and your monkeys want to go...I don't drink beer or fish for 6 " stock rainbows ,I would if I could use them for bait, as for the challenge of catching perch and crappie you said you have electronics so if you cut enough holes you will find them, give me a break....Oh and why can't you jig and still set tips leave one out..

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Feb 24, 2012, 04:05 PM »
You can, and I have. But you are limited by the tipups.  Can't move much.  I just got a flasher.  It's not a magic way to catch fish.  I caught fish before the I got the flasher, but fishing with one is more fun.  Like I said on a different thread....I have not trout fished at all this year.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #114 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:18 AM »
You would rather catch a fish that gets eaten by the fish I am trying to catch???   Also there are far more crappies/perch in the state than there are 20lb Pike. 

So by your same logic you would say it's harder to shoot a fawn with your bow than a monster buck with a rifle?? 

The problem is your argument makes no sense, especially since you have never caught a Piker over 10lbs let alone over 15 or 20 lbs.  You say it's so easy but you have pike fished and NEVER caught a real fish.  I am willing to bet you catch a ton of crappie and perch. 

Don't tell me it's easy until you have actually done it.  You clearly have not done it!!!!!!!!!!

Also you said Pike are dumb but you are fishing for a fish that watches it schoolmate get pulled up through your hole and then grabs the same grub 2 minutes later.   

Please tell me how it makes any sense?!?

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:32 AM »
You got me on the "dumbness" of fish.  I figured that would get a rise out of some of the hardcore pike guys. 

But why don't you explain what skill is involved in hooking a minnow......waiting for a flag.....and pulling up a line by hand?  Where is the skill?

The comparison of bucks to fawns doesn't make a lick of sense because the fishing discussion involves different species and different methods of catching fish.   Now if you want to make a similar comparison to hunting, talk about driving deer VS stand or still hunting....or compare deer hunting to rabbit hunting.  But the fawn/buck comment is way off base.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:39 AM »
If you want to talk about stupid fish, let's talk about one that has to be stocked every year to survive.  You will find pike fisherman just as passionate as "trout" people.

There is no veracity in your statement about trout.  Stocking is needed because more people fish for trout and keep trout.  It has NOTHING to do with their ability to survive.  Most people don't keep Pike because Pike are not worth keeping.

2GUYZ FISHING

Offline packersskyline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Pike not worth keeping? You just need to know how to fillet them right and u get plenty of meat and no bone. Pike is tasty, just gotta know how to fillet and cook. Don't get me wrong crappie, perch, etc are great tasting to and alot easier to fillet, but pike to me is worth keeping, i dont keep any under 27 inches. Little ones taste better but less meat if you dont want bones.

Anyhow everyone likes to fish a certain way and for certain things. Maybe you find tipup fishing in the cold harder the jigging, or maybe you find jigging harder then tipup fishing. Who cares, lets enjoy ourselves and do what we love.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #118 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:50 AM »
There is no veracity in your statement about trout.  Stocking is needed because more people fish for trout and keep trout.  It has NOTHING to do with their ability to survive.  Most people don't keep Pike because Pike are not worth keeping.

You have obviously never eaten a Pike.  So don't make that assertion without trying it first.  The fact is it is a very good tasting fish.

As for the skill required to catch a REAL PIKE.

1.  Equipment- the average fisherman(you included I would assume) does not have the proper tackle to land a Pike over 15lbs without an extreme amount of luck.

2.  Spot choice-  This requires a lot of knowledge of where in depth and water column the Pike will be, we don't have the luxury of putting a flasher down the hole without our "dumb" fish swimming away like you do.

3.  Bait-  Not just any minnow will do for real Pike, pretty sure most people don't use the right bait.

4.  Persistence-  If you go to a lake and don't catch a panfish in the first two hours you probably go home.  Not us Pike fishermen.  We stay all day long

That is my initial list as to why Pike fishing is harder than Pan fishing.  I am interested in you telling me why Pan fishing is harder than Pike fishing.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Feb 29, 2012, 11:04 AM »
I do not know why you guys are entertaining this dude he is clearly trying to stir the pot haha looks like its working too.

I didnt know trolling was open this time of year  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.