Author Topic: Bubbles  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Bubbles
« on: Feb 14, 2005, 03:55 PM »
Hi everyone,
 Have any of you ever used bubbles as an attractant while icefishing? I have heard that if you drop an an alcaselser tablet down the hole it will bubble and attract fish, or would the smell actually repel them if you have used them how did they work?. Has anyone had luck with the bubble up products made by Berkley?  Good Fishing all  :tipup: :D

Water Wolf

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
Re: Bubbles
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2005, 04:07 PM »
Hi everyone,
 Have any of you ever used bubbles as an attractant while icefishing? I have heard that if you drop an an alcaselser tablet down the hole it will bubble and attract fish, or would the smell actually repel them if you have used them how did they work?. Has anyone had luck with the bubble up products made by Berkley?  Good Fishing all  :tipup: :D

Water Wolf
Havent heard of an alkaselzer tab. But I do know that there isnt a repel for fish. Ive seen these scuba divers try to make a repellant for huge schools of fish. They used a bunch of differnt things (bleach,ammonia, crushed charcaol). nothing worked. I would say give it a try.
I was also told to try using WD-40. I guess it looks like fish oil in the water. Me, I wont put anything in the water unless its bio. I have tried pureed smelt from the blender and spooned into my wifes favorite panty hose. SSSHHHH dont tell her. She doesnt know about the blender either. Drop them down a hole with some sinkers. Works well. Ive also hung it from the top of the hole - suspended

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2005, 06:06 PM »
I've heard of alkaselter tablets broken into sizes large enough to fit in a tube jig, it is published in several Bass books that I've read. ;)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2005, 01:58 PM »
Thanks for the info fat-crappie and Pasquatch. I am going to try the tablet next time I go to a lake with multiple species and see which type of fish find it the most attractive, it probably will be the perch, they are curious fish who like to check every new thing out. Good luck on the ice  :tipup:

Water Wolf

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Good Luck! ;)
<*(((((-<
    Wes

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2005, 05:40 PM »
Thanks for the info fat-crappie and Pasquatch. I am going to try the tablet next time I go to a lake with multiple species and see which type of fish find it the most attractive, it probably will be the perch, they are curious fish who like to check every new thing out. Good luck on the ice  :tipup:

Water Wolf

W.W. youll have to let us know how you did. Im curious now.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2005, 11:39 PM »
fat-crappie, I will let everyone know for sure, glad to share info with fellow anglers. Good Fishing.  :tipup:

Water Wolf

Offline percheye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2005, 09:00 PM »
berkley makes a bubble tablet that you can insert into a soft bait or drop down a whole. i have been trying the bubbles for the past two seasons and havent seen any difference. i do beleive that  the insert into a soft bait does have some merit especially in calm shallow water. good luck.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2005, 11:02 PM »
Interesting topic. Have heard about the Berkley bubble tablet product and the home made alka seltzer method. Don't know anyone who actually have used either enough to report on their effectiveness. Anyone on the Shanty have a report on the stuff?

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:50 PM »
It's been a long time since I posted this, just checking to see if anyone have tried it?
???

WW

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2005, 04:28 PM »
Well what I do is in the summer break up those alka seltzer tablets and put them into very large gelatin capsules (available at some drug/health food stores)  I paint them with some jig colors and throw them onto the water. The fish eat them and their gastic juices break down the capsule and thus they begin to fizz. The fish pop up to the surface and I just collect them. The great thing is, no matter how many you eat, you never seem to get an upset stomach. This is true,..(you don't think a fellow fisherman would lie do you!?)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:23 AM »
 now that my rant is over....
seems like the bubble thing would work out ok, a simple bi-carb would work and it wont hurt
the environment

a bit down the whole might seem like a school of bait fish getting a wound up

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:36 PM »
Hmmm alka-seltzer never used it. But wd-40 is illegal in Mass. to put into the water pollutes the fish. Have to look into the seltzer usually only use it for hangovers. ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2006, 10:41 PM »
I will try the WD40 , heck, it works on everything else. No kiddn, my grandma used it on her arthritis.

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2006, 11:00 PM »
  :whistle:

squirt squirt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.