The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Crappie vs white perch  (Read 9277 times)

surflizard

Re: Crappie vs white perch
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Ditto on the electric, So Much easier ! You can, with enough practice, fillet Any panfish in under 30 seconds with no bones !! :thumbsup:

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:44 PM »
got one of thoes electric fillet knives at wally world on sale last spring.....so nice, all you have to do is make the motion, no pressure needed.... I can fillet 45 fish in 20min... well worth it, rappala

Totally with you on that nothing like a electric. I filleted about 40 crappie afew ago and didnt have my electric and boy it sucked

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Totally with you on that nothing like a electric. I filleted about 40 crappie afew ago and didnt have my electric and boy it sucked

I guess I gotta see one of these do-dads. I can take both fillets off the rack in 30 seconds, maybe 45 if I have a little sip, no bones and keeping belly meat on bigger fish....Does your time count skinning em?  ??? about 35% skinless boneless yield.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:03 PM »
     My favorite would be, the ones that where biting that day !

Warbonnett

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:06 PM »
     My favorite would be, the ones that where biting that day !

Warbonnett

True that! But don’t you decide what’s biting that day?  ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:58 AM »
I like all three...but I don't like the yellow grubs....I know the grubs can't hurt you after the fish is cooked but I ain't into it...the grubs get into whites and pickerelli too when they are in the water...

Is it true that in general you'll find less grubs in fish caught through the ice?  I mean they must be around it they are around..winter or summer right?.....but it seems to me I don't hardly ever find them in fish I catch in the winter..... and maybe it is just because i fish in different water during the winter than the summer...

The "yellow grubs" your finding in the fish are a flat worm. They can not infect a human regardless if they are cooked or not. The worm isn't any more or less prevalent in the fish seasonally as they are in a dormint stage. the worm will stay with the fish for its entire life until it is eaten by a bird, and then will mature into the adult stage.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline trapperjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:56 AM »
give me both, and i'll eat em all love both just had my first crappie this year awesome fish wish they were this far north, ;D

Offline Mossypumpkin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:27 AM »
I think they are close to the same...but probably WP a little more.
Killin time til swimbait season..

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:36 AM »
Just wondering do they taste the same?  Back in the 60s & 70s my Dad, Brother, & I used to take what seemed like a long boat ride from camp on Gardiners Lake to Second Lake to find White Perch.  We used to catch them by the bucket full.  One day we caught 80+.  It was a real big occasion for us.  All the family,  aunts, uncles, grandparents, would come over for a feed.   Roll 'em in butter then corn meal & fry them up.   
    I've heard that Crappie are close to the same.

I've only ever fished Gardiners, knew they were in there but never caught any.  Always fishing for salmon near shore.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #39 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:57 AM »
There is also a "red worm" that infests in Yellow Perch...this one can infect humans.http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/factsheets/fisheries/fish_health/Red%20Worm.pdf

Make sure you cook your fish thoroughly. ;)
I fish.                                                         

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Nothing beats a good white perch feed, hands down over crappie imo.  I find crappie too soft and mealy comparatively.

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:52 AM »
I prefer yellows to em all!

Offline JustForTheHalibut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 29, 2012, 11:38 AM »
id love to chime in and give my opinion, but to be honest i have never tried either of them. And actually, not until i joined this board a couple years ago did i hear of people eating yellows and very few people eating the crappies and whites. But everyone on here seems to like or love them, so i guess ill have to get out and catch me some to try. That is if bee and mg havent run the state dry ;D
you gotta hook em to cook em

Offline cmain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Interesting fact...did you know a white perch isn't really a perch? its part of the bass family.

Offline Mossypumpkin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Interesting fact...did you know a white perch isn't really a perch? its part of the bass family.

But isnt a bass a member of the sunfish family?

Quick question...I usually roll my crappie in butter then crushed Ritz crackers, but the crumbs dont stick very well :( How can I make the crumbs stick better?

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:38 PM »
Nothing beats a good white perch feed, hands down over crappie imo.  I find crappie too soft and mealy comparatively.

X2

Offline cmain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:45 PM »
But isnt a bass a member of the sunfish family?

Quick question...I usually roll my crappie in butter then crushed Ritz crackers, but the crumbs dont stick very well :( How can I make the crumbs stick better?

haha Im just going off Wikipedia..Cant answer that.

Offline Mossypumpkin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:48 PM »
haha Im just going off Wikipedia..Cant answer that.

Haha...gotcha! I'm pretty sure the bass is a sunfish member. But then, I dont really care as long as I'm catchin them!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #48 on: Feb 29, 2012, 01:16 PM »
I cook the White Perch head, guts and feathers. The eyes taste like grapes once you spit out that hard white part and the intestines are like noodles. Mmmmmmmmmmmm noodles
Steve

Offline chum bucket

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 29, 2012, 03:29 PM »
I like whites better, wife likes crappie better.
Semper Fi

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #50 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:21 PM »
thats why all the old fellas like em, you can eat em with no teeth. @)
How they biten

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:30 PM »

I believe it's called an egg wash, beat an egg and dip the fish in the egg before the crumbs.  Done it with bread crumbs so it should work just as good with cracker crumbs.

Offline sbowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Apr 03, 2015, 08:59 PM »
 ;D ;D Like they say you  are what you eat! White perch feed more on shad fry which are in open water and more oily. Crappie and yellow perch feed more on shiners less oily. Now in summer & fall in my area all three are feeding heavily on what ever they can catch. Big crappie love bluegill bass fry, white perch are eating machines and eat everything yellow perch love the invertebrates and shiners.

Offline sbowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Apr 03, 2015, 09:11 PM »
 :-\ ;) To mossypumpkin: Large mouth, small mouth, Kentucky and spotted bass are in the sunfish family with crappie and bluegills, white perch are in the seabass family with stripers, white bass and yellow bass. Yellow perch are true perch and in the same family as walleye, sauger and creek darters. FYI Have eaten every fish listed( maybe not the darters, used them for bait. ;)) all are delicious, YP best

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Apr 03, 2015, 09:25 PM »
White perch for me, in the winter they are down right sweet tasting. Some one talked about dark meat in the white perch and in the waters that I get them out of, they are white all the way throw... Different Diet?

Probably you aren't getting quite all of the meat off of the fillet...either that or the white perch you are catching are on the smaller side.  The dark meat is along the skin, similar to a striper, and the small fish tend not to have as much.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Apr 04, 2015, 11:20 AM »
The dark meat , is usually where you find the high mercury content  The older the fish the more dark meat. In cold water fish its mostly the ventral strip . This is why I think removing the dark meat when filleting makes for a healthy meal . Small fish have not had the chance to build up as much Mercury making them more desirable . and Healthy to eat . ( Eat Brain food)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.