The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: pressure crack at sandbar  (Read 1651 times)

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
pressure crack at sandbar
« on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:42 PM »
I drove out and fished the sandbar today.  At about 10am I though I heard and plane go over and a wave go underneath me.  I headed back around 2:30 and found a pressure crack had formed about 100 yards or so from the access.  I had to drive over but at this point it's not too bad.  Just wanted to give people a heads up because I'm sure there will be some serious traffic going over it this weekend with the derby.  I just don't know how much worse it will get.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
Re: pressure crack at sandbar
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:10 PM »
hey, what derby is going on. My buddy and I are planning a trip up for Sunday for some Pike fishing at Kelly's Bay in Alburgh but I don't want to drive 3 hours if a derby is going on. Too much pressure and people for me.

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:45 PM »
islands derby. mallets bay up to the border.

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:21 PM »
that covers just about every bay lol

Offline scavanau

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2012, 12:10 AM »
islands derby. mallets bay up to the border.

It starts just a bit further south. Burlington - Port Kent ferry route is the southern border.

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2012, 02:46 AM »
It's a huge derby,it sucks to see that much of a fish kill , CATCH--RELEASE.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:50 AM »
I drove out and fished the sandbar today.  At about 10am I though I heard and plane go over and a wave go underneath me.  I headed back around 2:30 and found a pressure crack had formed about 100 yards or so from the access.  I had to drive over but at this point it's not too bad.  Just wanted to give people a heads up because I'm sure there will be some serious traffic going over it this weekend with the derby.  I just don't know how much worse it will get.

Can you tell us which direction it is forming ie- north to south or about how long it is today?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:27 PM »
It looked like it starts over by Rt2 about 100 to 150 yards out and goes S/SW towards all those trees leading to the point by the mouth of the Lamoille.  I really didn't stop to look at it to closely.  Once I realized it was there I couldn't stop on the bare ice and just had to bump over it.  You can definately drive over it at least with atv's.  I'm not driving back over it with my truck.  I've never been out when one formed so I have no idea if it will get worse with a fluctuation in the weather or not.  It's relatively small as of yesterday so I'm sure it will look like a parking lot out there on saturday.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:43 AM »
It looked like it starts over by Rt2 about 100 to 150 yards out and goes S/SW towards all those trees leading to the point by the mouth of the Lamoille.  I really didn't stop to look at it to closely.  Once I realized it was there I couldn't stop on the bare ice and just had to bump over it.  You can definately drive over it at least with atv's.  I'm not driving back over it with my truck.  I've never been out when one formed so I have no idea if it will get worse with a fluctuation in the weather or not.  It's relatively small as of yesterday so I'm sure it will look like a parking lot out there on saturday.

Thanks for the update!   Good luck and be careful out there this weekend!

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:42 PM »
was it opened up like this crack?
How they biten

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2012, 06:10 PM »
I heard it swallowed 2 vehicles today. They pulled one out, the other is up to it roof.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:28 AM »
I heard it swallowed 2 vehicles today. They pulled one out, the other is up to it roof.

Think that was out by the mouth of the river.....saw the tow truck out there yestrday am

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Yeah the other truck is still out there off the point.  All you can see is the roof and it must be froze in solid by now.  Of course there are some other vehicles out there beyond that but further away from all those weeds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.