Author Topic: Wax worms or Spikes?  (Read 4737 times)

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wax worms or Spikes?
« on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Never bought or used either, which should I get? I'm fishing for crappie with small jigs.

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wax worms or Spikes?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Spikes, not even a debate.

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:16 AM »
I prefer Spikes over was worms.   I've had good luck with spikes on a Lindy Flyer. 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:25 AM »
For crappie my first choice is 1. minnow, 2. a big waxie, 3. spike. I would even go as far as to say for crappie I would go with plastic before I would try spikes. Now for Bluegill my first choice would be spikes.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:26 AM »
CJG. Personally I usually bring both. Wax worms are softer and tend to get picked off easier than spikes (maggots). Also some days the fish seem pickier and prefer the wax worms. When the fish are "banging" it doesn't really matter. Just my observation over the years.  It's sorta like when sometimes the fish prefer only the head of the minnow verses the whole minnow.    Lou

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:34 AM »
spikes.  they last longer and are more durable.  a wax worm is a fish per worm.  hell i even say a bite per worm.  75% of the time its gone if you miss a fish.   i can catch up to 10 fish on a 2-3 spikes.   big crappies don't seem to care, but gills and smaller 9-10" crappies sure do. around here anyways. 

plus you can't get them around here.  1 bait shop used to carry them.  so when we fish around here, we are one of few that have them on hand.   while guys are putting on another waxie we are just dropping what we've got back down the hole.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:48 AM »
The problem with spikes is anything and everything will eat them, so if you are targeting crappie you will spend a lot of time dealing with 4" perch and 5" bluegills, that is why my first choice is a minnow then a big waxie. I'm not worried about rebaiting, I buy waxies in bulk 500 at a time.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:55 AM »
  Spikes, tougher than waxies.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Even with spikes just because they are tough as leather doesn't mean that you shouldn't re-bait often. Dave Genz even recommends re-baiting after every fish or every 5 mins. or so with spikes.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:04 AM »
I bring both...ALWAYS.  I have seen days where fish would not touch spikes, but would eat a waxie.  And vice-cersa.  If you are targeting crappies, however, I would start with a red whip-type plastic...
Prayin' for cold

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:06 AM »
  Dave has his bait donated , hence rebait every fish.  I am sure he is a better fisherman than the majority but I have caught as few as 1 fish on a bait and as many as 8 on the same bait.  Fresh bait is the key if they are picky that day. Just my .02.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:28 AM »
You don't need to be rich or have your bait donated to fish with a fresh spike on your hook. Come on man! You can buy 1,000 spikes for $9 online.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:34 AM »
  I do every year!!  Do you rebait every fish? 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:40 AM »
No :)  but I sure do when they start to look like no juice is coming out of them anymore, which doesn't really take to long. And with waxies I probably do re-bait just about every fish, they are a little more expensive at $13 for 500.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:42 AM »
  I found out the more fish you catch on spikes, and say just the skins hanging and flapping the more hits I get.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Spikes 9 time out of 10. However sometimes they want Waxies so I typically will keep some one me.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:51 AM »
If I'm catching them one after the other, I will also see how many I can get on a dead husk shell of a bait also just for fun.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:57 AM »
  Red spikes also work well if not hitting very well, although they dont live as long as the white ones and seem to be softer than white ones.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:01 AM »
The problem with spikes is anything and everything will eat them, so if you are targeting crappie you will spend a lot of time dealing with 4" perch and 5" bluegills, that is why my first choice is a minnow then a big waxie. I'm not worried about rebaiting, I buy waxies in bulk 500 at a time.

its not the amount of waxies one has that the problem and rebaiting in a hut with a heater on is no problem but when you are out hole hopping in frigid temps its annoying.  and we really don't have a ton of issues with the small in with the big here.  but i could understand if you run into that elseware.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:11 AM »
Lose the bait. More and bigger without.  Try small kastmaster or minimites or tie up some ice flies.
I don't use bait much if at all thru ice.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:37 AM »
I have done extremely well this winter for crappies using red spikes!! Like a previous poster mentioned you do catch some smaller perch and bluegills occassionally but if I know I am in a crappie spot I can live with that. I feel it makes it a tad more exciting when you set the hook and you can feel the weight of a good speck on the other end!! Lets you know you are doing something right!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline WaxieWorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:23 PM »
Spikes hands down.  I'll use a 1/8oz red Northland holographic forage minnows with a red treble.  I'll put 4 to 6 spikes on the treble to start.  Like a previous poster said, I'll stick with that until there is just spike skin left - not even any juice.  I've found that if I rebait, often the bite just stops - sometimes I'll use that lure with the original 4-6 spikes on it for 3 or 4 hours and still have a consistent bite on it.  Not sure what the appeal in just the skins of the spikes is but crappies sure love it on the "up north" lakes I fish on in Wisco.
Pray for Ice!

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2012, 03:56 PM »
I would get spikes hands down. The red ones been working well for myself.

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Dodge or Chevy, Vex or Marcum, Pros and cons yada yada yada.................. ...I like waxies ;D ;D ;D

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:24 PM »
For crappie my first choice is 1. minnow, 2. a big waxie, 3. spike. I would even go as far as to say for crappie I would go with plastic before I would try spikes. Now for Bluegill my first choice would be spikes.
Very close for me. I have used both and prefer spikes for gills.  I use plastics for crappies as well as waxies.  So my order of business would be. Plastics first. Waxies second and spikes 3rd. 

Offline fish-core

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:03 PM »
SPIKES!

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:28 PM »
It depends

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:30 PM »

You are right on the money in your sequence calls ;)
AW

Offline evaxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • vermont jumbo.
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:00 PM »
im gonna have to say most of you are wrong. even though you all probably have more experience that me. but, id get both, bring both, play it safe, and see what they're hitting. sometimes they want big things, sometimes not. sometimes you gotta wad on the spikes, or just put on a waxie. all depends on the bite.
Girls fish too.

Offline deadcold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Spikes for me, no doubt about it. (unless they want waxies or mealies) :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.