The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Manistee Co. Ice Conditions  (Read 1285 times)

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Manistee Co. Ice Conditions
« on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:36 PM »
I know many of  you down state might be on the road looking for good hard water to fish farther north.  I just wanted to let you know that most of the lakes in Manistee Co. are fishable and have plenty of good ice. 

Manistee Lake is wide open, so bring a boat.

Portage and Bear Lakes have lots of good ice.  I spent the day on portage today and ended up with 29 nice perch.  "Nice", not  huge.  Most were from 7 to 10 inches, with 8 being about the average keeper for the day.  Most of the action seems to be in the deeper water (50 fow or so), but I stayed along the 24 fow drop off to get mine.  I talked to several coming off the water that were in the deeper water, and they caught just as many as I did, with their average being slightly larger, but not much.  Bottom line, you have to work a little to get a nice mess of them, for they are not slamming them by any means.   

Last week fished Bear Lake and caught a number of pike, but smaller perch.  A friend of mine has been getting walleye out there as well along the north shore (mostly on tip-ups).

Arcadia Lake has decent ice as well, and the perch bite seems to be about the same as on Portage...not huge fish, but good numbers.   

Hope this info. is helpfull to anyone coming north to fish. 
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline finished with engines

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Manistee Co. Ice Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:15 PM »
Nice report.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.... Teach a man to fish and his wife will never see him

Offline winterbot428

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Thanks!
Ya....the early bird gets the worm.....but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese....

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Thanks for the report....I'm sure everyone appreciates it.

:clap:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline 5galbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2012, 11:52 PM »
Appreciate the report. Thanks   :tipup:
Rule #1:  Never tell your story first.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Thanks for the info. I probably will be making a road trip. I don't want to end my ice fishing season it's only the beginning of February. What a year.

Offline Grunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:43 AM »
Conditions staying the same up there on Portage Wolf ?   Ice conditions down here in the S.W. are pretty poor !

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Heard they were getting into some decent perch on Arcadia. Made a 2 1/2hr there on tuesday and it was basically open water. Turned back around and ended up fishing portage. Good ice and fish were biting. A lot of sorting with the perch. Nice gills and a couple mudpuppys.

Mudpuppy on a jiggin rap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4kGmWu71k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Conditions staying the same up there on Portage Wolf ?   Ice conditions down here in the S.W. are pretty poor !

Yea, the Portage conditions are still real good.  Bring along some good creepers though, it's like a skating rink out there.  I fished in about 30fow a few days ago after work for about an hour.  Kinda slow, only managed 7 decent perch out of about 15 takers.  But the lake has good ice on most of it (quads out all over).  I was on about 7 inches of solid clear ice.  Most of the better perch are being taken out in about 50fow in the middle of the lake.  Be careful on the west end near Lake Michigan if you are heading out, it just froze up a few days ago and it may not be the best ice. 
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline Grunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:00 AM »
Thank's for the update guy's !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.