Author Topic: Fishing Minnows Deep  (Read 1327 times)

Offline FishnFiend

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just a Fiend for Fishn'
Fishing Minnows Deep
« on: Feb 13, 2005, 08:04 AM »
I've recently been fishing minnows in 30+ FOW. I've been using the tried & true method, small slip float, split shot. The negatives of this method have begun to out-way the positive: line twist, have to pay-out line to get it down, takes forever to get to bottom, etc.

Can anyone share with me other methods of fishing LIVE minnows deep that won't sacrifice the ability to read what's going on with the business end of the rig?

Thanks!

The Fiend :tipup: :tipup:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Fishing Minnows Deep
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2005, 08:28 AM »
i prefer to fish minnows on a jig with a good hook gap like a genz bug, or on a spoon, like a swedish pimple.

Offline FishnFiend

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just a Fiend for Fishn'
Re: Fishing Minnows Deep
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2005, 11:30 AM »
Yea Big Red,
I've often used these methods for fishing bigger minnows for walleye(the Fire Ball jig is my all-time favorite).
Will this work as effectively with small minnows for crappie or perch? The fish have been ravenous on small-medium minnows on plain #6 hooks, so I never thought of tipping a jig or lure with the minnow. It was working very effectively. Just trying to build a better mousetrap, I guess. It's just so problematic & time consuming fishing the minnows "plain".(Finesse rig, is what I really call it).

The pattern yesterday where we fished was call them in with something big & flashy, & let 'em smack a minnow swimming right next to it. Could you put more weight on the line & upsize the bobber without sacrificing sensitivity? I was just afraid to experiment with a hot bite going on. Thought on the drive home "there's got to be a better way".

The Fiend :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.