Author Topic: Where's the ice, Southern Ontario???  (Read 884 times)

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Where's the ice, Southern Ontario???
« on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:13 PM »
I just landed in Toronto this afternoon and flying in I was astonished to see how green everything is. I walked 3 blocks to the closest liquor store from my hotel and was surprised at all the little sparrows and finches flying around. What the hell happened to your winter :o :o

I am flying home on Sunday and heading out to Shoal Lake on Monday for some good old northwestern Ontario winter fishing. Sod the Tropics ;D ;D
Glen

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Where's the ice, Southern Ontario???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Flew back into Winnipeg this afternoon. Totally clear skies and limitless views from the plane. Unfortunately I was on the wrong side of the plane to see the Kenora end of Lake of the Woods. I had a great view of Rainy Lake and the Big Traverse. I could see tons of pressure cracks all over the lakes. I was amazed that I could see them so clearly from over 38,000 feet. I could see no fishing activity off Warroad or Buffalo Point.
These cracks and ridges are massive. Be safe out there.
Glen

Offline dwc67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2012, 05:54 AM »
some non ice fishing friends have now trolled lake ont for 12 consecutive months

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:18 PM »
Yeah I know. Cabbed it to the Marlies game on Saturday and drove all along Lakeshore to the CNE. Not a lick of ice inside the breakwalls. Some of my diving friends went to the mouth of the Humber on the weekend and they said it was neat to not see any ice in the docks where they put in.

I got home yesterday and it was +6C in Winnipeg. This is the goofiest winter ever >:(

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:18 PM »
Craziest (non) winter I can remember :'(

Went past my local regular ice fishing spot today after work (5 minutes from home) only to see a guy trolling almost exactly where I usually ice fish. Still a little ice hanging around but we need some serious negative temps or it is done for the year. Same deal if the wind picks up, it will eat whats left of the ice for dinner.

Everyone at work is saying how wonderful the weather is :(. I keep reminding them that this weather SUCKS >:(
Born to fish...Forced to work...To pay for Fishing!!!

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2012, 12:36 PM »
I just landed in Toronto this afternoon and flying in I was astonished to see how green everything is. I walked 3 blocks to the closest liquor store from my hotel and was surprised at all the little sparrows and finches flying around. What the hell happened to your winter :o :o

I am flying home on Sunday and heading out to Shoal Lake on Monday for some good old northwestern Ontario winter fishing. Sod the Tropics ;D ;D
Glen

Just going over some old topics and this caught my attention. A bunch of us were out on Lake Erie in Feb. fishing for some jumbos in our boats. Normally there would have been 24" of ice that time of year.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.