The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sturgeon Bay:  (Read 2476 times)

Offline eyewacka

• IceShanty Rookie
Sturgeon Bay:
« on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:40 AM »

We have a trip planned to Sturgeon Bay in mid Feb, we are coming from Ohio since we have no ice down here,  just checking if anybody has any information on the bay or recent reports. We never fished for whitefish but were told they are really good, fun to catch and in good numbers. Catching some eyes would be great also! Thanks for any responses in advance!!!!!

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sturgeon Bay:
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:24 AM »
Read  through these it will give you an idea of whats going on up there.

http://www.lake-link.com/Wisconsin-Fishing-Reports/report.cfm/126/Sturgeon-Bay-Door-County/

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:59 AM »
Ice has been tricky up here, alot of shoves, large cracks opening up and no truck travel yet to the sweet spots. I would call Dale Stroschein at Sand Bay Resort/Wacky Walleye Guide Service or Bret Alexander at Ice Fish Green Bay. They guide out there everyday and could give you the info you are looking for. If you wanted you could go out with one of the two, they usually guide for walleyes in the morning/evening and hit the whities during the day. You could even stay at Sand Bay Resort and be right on the bay ready to go.
Whities are fun to catch, I caught a 3-4 pounder last friday.

Offline eyewacka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:41 AM »

Thanks for your replies, hope we can get on some fish. Good luck to all as well!

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Hopefully the ice holds up, we are getting another warm spell.

Offline Laker 11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:41 AM »
Eye, the ice is moving around up here with mild temps and wind. 10 people rescued from Green Bay yesterday and 12 or 13 rescued the day before from south of Little Sturgeon bay. The ice has freedom to move and then large cracks appear quickly trapping people on sheets of ice out from shore. I had a little scare a week ago and will not go out anymore, not worth it.

Offline eyewacka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:31 AM »

Did the ice firm up after the cold snap? Coming up on thursday 2/13, can't wait!!

Offline Laker 11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:53 AM »
It's better than last week for sure but still not the best. Hope you have a good idea where you want to go. There are a lot of people going out but crowed in some areas. Below is the sat. image of the Bay, you see open water and lots of cracks. Call one of the guides in the Sturgeon Bay area before coming. Get their names on Lake-Link. Good luck

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=m&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.12043.1840.LakeMichigan.143.250m.jpg

Offline p302stang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Was just up there this past weekend with a guide fishing for white fish it was not good 10 hrs with the guide service and we cought 4 fish between 2 guys the other groups out there had the same or worse luck. Talked with alot of folks and was hearing the same thing fishing was hard. hope your trip go's better.

Offline eyewacka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2012, 05:33 AM »

Thanks guys, we are going with a guide and they said walleye are slow but whitefish are being caught in good numbers? We will see. Just want to get out this year and catch some fish!

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:51 AM »
I was fishing up there with a buddy on Saturday. We caught about 15 or so whities between us but only kept 10 for the smoker. Then we headed south a bit and caught another 5 or so in 5 FOW. Never done that before, sightfishing for whities.

Offline eyewacka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2012, 11:11 AM »

Just got back from our trip. We ended fishing out of Riley Bay, no eyes but close to 100 whities between 12 of us for two days. The bite was light but we had a good time. Ice was good 10-14". Went with a guide and they were very courtious and personable, the only issue was the price went up on us with no warning and he didnt tell us until I paid at the end of the trip!! ??? >:(

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2012, 12:36 PM »
WOW.....I would have paid the before agreed upon price and told him to you know what!
Who was the guide, Alexander?

Offline eyewacka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2012, 04:52 PM »

I would rather not say who but it was not Alexander, I know I should not have paid anymore $ but I was caught off guard. he said that he had to hire a helper because our group was to large for just him. we are experienced ice fisherman we just got a guide to save from hauling all of our gear up there, that being said we helped them out also. Definitely will not going back with them in the future!

Offline Bucktail30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2012, 02:10 PM »
We have a trip planned this weekend with a guide, Sturgeon Bay/Dyckesville area.  Hope it's not the same one eyewacka had.  Now I'm a little afraid.
Eyewacka - any chance I can message you the guide we're going with and you can tell me if it's them or not?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:46 PM »

I would rather not say who but it was not Alexander, I know I should not have paid anymore $ but I was caught off guard. he said that he had to hire a helper because our group was to large for just him. we are experienced ice fisherman we just got a guide to save from hauling all of our gear up there, that being said we helped them out also. Definitely will not going back with them in the future!
Put it out there....It may save someone else from dealing with it.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:48 PM »
We have a trip planned this weekend with a guide, Sturgeon Bay/Dyckesville area.  Hope it's not the same one eyewacka had.  Now I'm a little afraid.
Eyewacka - any chance I can message you the guide we're going with and you can tell me if it's them or not?
Who are you booked with?

Offline eyewacka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:04 AM »
Lynn A Fishing Charters....

Offline Bucktail30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:39 AM »
Thanks.  Whew.  We are going out with Ice Fishing Adventures, Kelly Burmeister Petz.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:50 AM »
Lynn A Fishing Charters....
For a small area i have never heard of that guide.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Thanks.  Whew.  We are going out with Ice Fishing Adventures, Kelly Burmeister Petz.
I don't know them personally but have not heard anything bad about them. I take it you are fishing for whities? I live right in dyckesville but will probably be in little sturgeon for the walleyes for tomorrow tourney. Good luck if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Offline eyewacka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:58 AM »
Bucktail, how did you all do last weekend?

Offline Bucktail30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:38 PM »
Fishing was slow.  Guide service was good, nice shack, nice gear, brats for lunch.  We ended up with around 20 fish between four guys.  A lot of swim by's.  Pretty much sight fished for 8 hours because the bite was so light.  After seeing how it is all done, I wouldn't pay for a guided whitefish trip again.  Like I said, the guide was great, equipment great, shack, transportation to shack, everything was great.  However, I have all of the equipment needed to do this and the fishing is not really difficult.  We are having some smoked now, maybe all of them depending on how these turn out.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Fishing was slow.  Guide service was good, nice shack, nice gear, brats for lunch.  We ended up with around 20 fish between four guys.  A lot of swim by's.  Pretty much sight fished for 8 hours because the bite was so light.  After seeing how it is all done, I wouldn't pay for a guided whitefish trip again.  Like I said, the guide was great, equipment great, shack, transportation to shack, everything was great.  However, I have all of the equipment needed to do this and the fishing is not really difficult.  We are having some smoked now, maybe all of them depending on how these turn out.
All the ice blew out of dyckesville this morn. I checked out red river and there is about 20 yards of ice and all open water after that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.