Author Topic: Cusk Bait.  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cusk Bait.
« on: Jan 29, 2012, 12:38 PM »
I'm interested in what people use for cusk bait.  I've heard a lot of strange things. Still trying to cross that fish off the list. 

Thanks in advance,  Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
Re: Cusk Bait.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:13 PM »
X2

Offline Fishsavage

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The phrase "Last cast" means "Not leaving"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:36 PM »
I use Live or dead shiners on a cusk line.  Sometimes if the day is coming to an end and I have a shiner or smelt on my tip up I will throw it on a cusk line for the night.  Cusk are very carnivorous and aggressive, most of the time I'm using a live shiner for cusk lines but I'm not afraid to throw a dead one one- they can be garbage pickers.  Another option if you have crayfish - I would use those in a heart beat.  Every cusk I keep has at least 2-3 crayfish in them- probably why the cusk taste so good ;D

I'll jig for them too - I know people do well late night cusking but my best luck is right when the sun goes down and your trying to get that last laker.  Typically I'll catch them on a bucktail tipped with the bait of your choice at that time (i.e. sucker, smelt, shiner).  If your trying to target them, find areas of structure or at least a rocky area - you'll do much better than just a sandy area - just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps, these usually work me on Newfound.  Speaking of ice fishing its been a terrible year for me, haven't even had the chance to get out there, but hopefully soon.  Tight lines

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Live shiner over/near chum works sometimes. Most of the time I'll have 3 with a dead cut shiner & 3 with a live shiner

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Thanks.

Oddfish

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:15 PM »
If I am using set lines, I use a 1/0 hook with 2 or 3 dead shiners. If the cusk are around  I get them on almost all my lines.

I haven't gotten them jiggin yet, but plan on giving it a shot.
If you need a productive spot for set lines, PM me and I will help out.
Clay
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:36 PM »
I use Live or dead shiners on a cusk line.  Sometimes if the day is coming to an end and I have a shiner or smelt on my tip up I will throw it on a cusk line for the night.  Cusk are very carnivorous and aggressive, most of the time I'm using a live shiner for cusk lines but I'm not afraid to throw a dead one one- they can be garbage pickers.  Another option if you have crayfish - I would use those in a heart beat.  Every cusk I keep has at least 2-3 crayfish in them- probably why the cusk taste so good ;D

I'll jig for them too - I know people do well late night cusking but my best luck is right when the sun goes down and your trying to get that last laker.  Typically I'll catch them on a bucktail tipped with the bait of your choice at that time (i.e. sucker, smelt, shiner).  If your trying to target them, find areas of structure or at least a rocky area - you'll do much better than just a sandy area - just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps, these usually work me on Newfound.  Speaking of ice fishing its been a terrible year for me, haven't even had the chance to get out there, but hopefully soon.  Tight lines

Dead on!

x2

JIGGIN.

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Crack the body cavity of the crayfish before you drop them down, the scent trail brings them arunnin !

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Alright time for the silly question,  If they like crayfish do they like native shrimp (ocean type)?

Oddfish

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:30 PM »
The Old timers swore by shrimp, puts out a heavy scent trail !

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:17 AM »
Alright time for the silly question,  If they like crayfish do they like native shrimp (ocean type)?

Oddfish
They might not but I certainly do. ;D Buy plenty so you can eat and bait. ;)

Capt. Black

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:23 AM »
ODD, read the regs on cusk fishing before you go as well. Some different laws than people would think.

Article here
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/icefishing/cusk_fishing.html

Pic of rig and some laws
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/icefishing/cusk_line.html

Cusk sure do taste great, I have used sucker meat and dead smelt with the head off, for some reason I had more luck with head off my smelt than head on. Not sure why but for me they do.

Good luck
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:45 AM »
I browsed one of those links and found this line;
''The angler's name and address must be plainly marked on each device. On the business end, you must have a sinker or weight not less than one ounce in size (also must be lead-free), and not more than six inches above the single, baited hook.''
What's with the lead-free weight? I feel like that's incorrect. 1oz or greater? HMMMMMMM.........

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Good question, I thought normally 1oz or more you CAN use lead...but maybe not with cusk fishing??? I dont know...maybe Supervisor at F&G can chime in on this.
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Also try using glow in the dark bucktails....I use white, charge them up and send em down tipped with bait.

I jig so that I'm basically stirring up bottom. Not a lot of high lifting.

JIGGIN.

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:19 AM »
If that is how it it is worded verbatem, then technically all the lead weight equipted cush traps that the bait and tackle shops are selling are Illegal ! Isn't that Special ?? They can pop us for it, but they can sell them ?? whats wrong with this picture ??

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:39 AM »
If that is how it it is worded verbatem, then technically all the lead weight equipted cush traps that the bait and tackle shops are selling are Illegal ! Isn't that Special ?? They can pop us for it, but they can sell them ?? whats wrong with this picture ??

Not to mention MY cusk traps that have 1.25oz lead weights on them.  >:(

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:30 AM »
From the rule book:

•The use of lead sinkers (1 ounce or less) and jigs (less than 1 inch along its longest axis) is prohibited in all freshwater. Sale of lead sinkers (1 ounce or less) and jigs (less than 1 inch along its longest axis) is prohibited.

Also when refering to Cusk Lines:

h) one-ounce sinker minimum required by law (must be non-lead if one ounce or less)

I found these in the freshwater fishing rules on the f&g website. Hope this helps.

Capt. Black

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:56 AM »
From the rule book:

h) one-ounce sinker minimum required by law (must be non-lead if one ounce or less)

Thanks Capt. 

One ounce sinker minimum required....but if its less than one ounce, it must be non-leaded.  Worded strange.  Maybe people are using 2 half ounce sinkers  ???

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2012, 12:45 PM »
Thanks Capt. 

One ounce sinker minimum required....but if its less than one ounce, it must be non-leaded.  Worded strange.  Maybe people are using 2 half ounce sinkers  ???

One ounce or less. It is written funny.

Capt. Black

Offline HardTellinNotKnowin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2012, 04:58 PM »
I used large live shiners this weekend and landed one 2lber overnight,  expensive ROI.  I had better luck the previous weekend when i chummed every hole with 4/6 lines producing.  Cusk are mostly nocturnal hunters so I think it helps to have the holes heavily scent ed. Heard about an old fisherman's trick to chum the holes that I'm going to try this weekend.  ;)

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:05 PM »
I have sun rendered fish oil left over from trapping season, I'm thinking of letting some dead bait sit in it to "marinate" in the fridge for a couple days before i use it. I'll let you know.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Supervisor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:21 PM »
I browsed one of those links and found this line;
''The angler's name and address must be plainly marked on each device. On the business end, you must have a sinker or weight not less than one ounce in size (also must be lead-free), and not more than six inches above the single, baited hook.''
What's with the lead-free weight? I feel like that's incorrect. 1oz or greater? HMMMMMMM.........

I'll admit that wording is a little confusing in that article regarding what size weights need to be lead free.  I'll fix that tomorrow.  Capt. Black has pointed out the correct rule (all sinkers weighing 1 oz or less must be lead-free).  Thanks Capt. Black!
Scott Decker, NHFGD Inland Fisheries Supervisor

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Thanks Capt. Black!
Your welcome. Always willing to help a fellow outdoorsman out. Thank you for keeping us informed.

Capt. Black

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Thanks Supervisor! I almost read right past it. It's awesome to have a F&G guy on here. I'm sure you get a kick out of some of the posts!

Offline Supervisor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:38 AM »
Thanks Supervisor! I almost read right past it. It's awesome to have a F&G guy on here. I'm sure you get a kick out of some of the posts!

I check this forum quite often.  I like to keep my finger on the pulse of our anglers.  You guys and gals are our bread and butter!
Scott Decker, NHFGD Inland Fisheries Supervisor

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:48 AM »
I check this forum quite often.  I like to keep my finger on the pulse of our anglers.  You guys and gals are our bread and butter!

Too funny, my fathers cousin used to own a septic company and their moto, on the sides of their trucks, was "Your S**T is our bread and butter". I know you don't mean it in that context but whenever I hear that I can't help but have a good laugh. Any ways, thanks for answering questions and helping out. It is much appreciated. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Capt. Black

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.