Author Topic: Big Fish In PA  (Read 5423 times)

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
Big Fish In PA
« on: Feb 10, 2005, 05:40 PM »
We got these on beachwood lake in northern PA
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Big Fish In PA
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2005, 05:42 PM »
Christopher S Neal

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2005, 05:44 PM »
nice pics, I had a golden about 20 inches up to the hole earlier this yr.  That was a first for me

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2005, 05:46 PM »
Nice Fish! ;)
What's up with the trout in the middle? :o Albino? Surprises me that one would get that big.

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2005, 05:49 PM »
Nice Fish! ;)
What's up with the trout in the middle? :o Albino? Surprises me that one would get that big.

No it is a trophy golden they stock them it is very big but there are bigger
Christopher S Neal

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Nice Fish! ;)

No it is a trophy golden they stock them it is very big but there are bigger
As in Golden Trout, like the ones in high elevations in Wyoming and Calfornia? Stocked ones sure looke different than natives...alot different.
If that is the same Golden as what I'm thinking of, it huge! ;)

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2005, 06:02 PM »
i dont know about those trout this i a good one but they get alot bigger
Christopher S Neal

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2005, 06:04 PM »
Pasquatch- I'm pretty sure that's a golden variety of rainbow. I could be wrong, but it seems like I remember reading about F&W agencies in some Mid-Atlantic states stocking them.

-Zach

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2005, 06:08 PM »
Pasquatch- I'm pretty sure that's a golden variety of rainbow. I could be wrong, but it seems like I remember reading about F&W agencies in some Mid-Atlantic states stocking them.

-Zach
That makes alot more sense, I can see the stripe now. Do you know what the Goldens I am talking about?

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2005, 06:23 PM »
Yes, I know what you're talking about. I've never seen one, seeing how Im a NYer just like you, but Im pretty positive that they're limited to the western portion of the US.

-Zach

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2005, 06:48 PM »
Yes, I know what you're talking about. I've never seen one, seeing how Im a NYer just like you, but Im pretty positive that they're limited to the western portion of the US.

-Zach
Zach,
        I know they are very touchy about the water they live in, and are found in like a total of 20 streams and lakes in Wyoming and California...I thought it was odd that they would be stocked in Pa. :)
                                                    Wes

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Just me 2 cents: The world record (wild I assume) golden trout is something like 2lbs 4 oz? Correct me if I'm wrong..... That sure looks a lot more "golden," and a lot bigger, than the ones I'm used to seeing pictures of. To me, I think catching the wild version of the species would be the the crown on my trout fishing career. There are so few left is so few lakes.....crapty deal considering they're (in my opinion) the best looking trout there is!
Tight Lines
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

rmbillettjr

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2005, 07:44 PM »
That is a Palamino Trout.  PA has been stocking them for as long as I can remember.  They are not considered much of a trophy fish, but always nice to see.

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2005, 07:48 PM »
that is what it is they stocked it in April before trout season started they only put 20 in the lake i know this because my dad helps them stock
Christopher S Neal

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2005, 07:53 PM »
Just me 2 cents: The world record (wild I assume) golden trout is something like 2lbs 4 oz? Correct me if I'm wrong..... That sure looks a lot more "golden," and a lot bigger, than the ones I'm used to seeing pictures of. To me, I think catching the wild version of the species would be the the crown on my trout fishing career. There are so few left is so few lakes.....crapty deal considering they're (in my opinion) the best looking trout there is!
Tight Lines
KRIS
The world record Golden is 11 pounds 0 ounces , although they are usually about 1 pound.  I agree, they normally look nothing like this. Just I never heard of "golden" applying to any other trout other than...well, Golden Trout. This is just a weird strain of rainbow. :)

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:01 PM »
That trout IS a palimino trout, it is a cross between a rainbow trout and a west virgina golden trout.  they are quite the fighters and usually don not last that long durring open water season because they stick out like a sore thumb in the water and everybody and their brother go after them here in PA.  I usually target them in the Late spring when the crowds go down and use them as what i like to call locator fish.  I call them locator fish because all the other trout that are around usually follow them around like a mother hen. 

Is that a lake trout (the second fish down) ..... I did not know they were in there.  The forked tail throws me off. 

JiggerMan

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:03 PM »
Nice fish by the way.....

MY personal season best was 9 paliminos in a season, and my biggest is a 24 inch palimino.

I also heard from the fish commision officer up at halilton about that big 20 inch Pally that you said you lost at the hole. 

JiggerMan

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:24 PM »
I think that is a laker, looks like the ones we have in Lake George

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:32 PM »
that is a funky trout! :o never seen those before

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:36 PM »
Here is a pic of a nice montana golden trout. There are many different strains but they defenitely have more red than an albino rainbow. They need clean water usually in high up lakes. Not many people ice fish for these fish where i used to live cuz you usually needed horses and had to go way up in snowy areas.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2005, 09:17 PM »
 Either way that is a nice fish, wtg  :tipup:
Jason

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2005, 05:53 AM »
Nice fish by the way.....

MY personal season best was 9 paliminos in a season, and my biggest is a 24 inch palimino.

I also heard from the fish commision officer up at halilton about that big 20 inch Pally that you said you lost at the hole. 

JiggerMan
Us i know Bill very well and he is a good friend and he was there the day we caught them And he didnt say of anyone else lose one but i know they could :'( lol one of the guys that was with us lost about a 2 ft rainbow at the hole  >:( to bad it was hooked in the belly anyway
Christopher S Neal

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2005, 07:17 AM »
That most certainly is a lake trout (2nd one)!  Wow :o  I didn't know beechwood had them either!  Nice catch Marshrat!!!  Thanks for sharing your pics too. ;)
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2005, 11:27 AM »
Marshrat, 

That had to be you guys the WCO officer was talking about because he mentioned about the belly hooked 2 footer also but he said that it was a brown.  Anyways congrats on the fish again. 

Fat Boy, 

I only thought that lakers were in a very select few lakes in PA.  There are not that many that would be able to support Lake trout (temps and depth and Forage) here in PA.  I would of never guessed that beechwood had them in it.  We got to hook up some time soon cause the ice is soon going to be gone. 

JiggerMan

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2005, 03:15 PM »
Marshrat,

That had to be you guys the WCO officer was talking about because he mentioned about the belly hooked 2 footer also but he said that it was a brown. Anyways congrats on the fish again.

Fat Boy,

I only thought that lakers were in a very select few lakes in PA. There are not that many that would be able to support Lake trout (temps and depth and Forage) here in PA. I would of never guessed that beechwood had them in it. We got to hook up some time soon cause the ice is soon going to be gone.

JiggerMan

Hey that would be good to go fishing together. my dad went today and only fished for about an hour he said it was to cold and the wind keep knocking up the flags anyway he only caught 2 perch. he said the  ice was good and safe we are going up to hemlock tomorrow and fish all day we did last week to. it is a blast up there. you never know when you will hook into that 25 pound lake trout or a 15 pound brown. the only problem you have to walk 3 miles to get to the good spot lol
Christopher S Neal

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2005, 09:32 PM »
Marshrat,

That had to be you guys the WCO officer was talking about because he mentioned about the belly hooked 2 footer also but he said that it was a brown. Anyways congrats on the fish again.

Fat Boy,

I only thought that lakers were in a very select few lakes in PA. There are not that many that would be able to support Lake trout (temps and depth and Forage) here in PA. I would of never guessed that beechwood had them in it. We got to hook up some time soon cause the ice is soon going to be gone.

JiggerMan

Hey that would be good to go fishing together. my dad went today and only fished for about an hour he said it was to cold and the wind keep knocking up the flags anyway he only caught 2 perch. he said the  ice was good and safe we are going up to hemlock tomorrow and fish all day we did last week to. it is a blast up there. you never know when you will hook into that 25 pound lake trout or a 15 pound brown. the only problem you have to walk 3 miles to get to the good spot lol

Hey we arnt going to hemlock we are going to beachwood my dad has to work late so we dont have the time to go if you go we are going in the morning
Christopher S Neal

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2005, 09:50 PM »
MarshRat, 

Hey I am really interested in this hemlock lake that you were talking about.  Is it in PA, because i dont know of to many lakes in PA that you can catch a 25 pound laker or a 15 pound brown.  The only time that i will be able to make a beechwood trip is monday or next weekend if i do not go to NY ti fish for perch and tiger musky. 

JiggerMan

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2005, 09:59 PM »
MarshRatm,

PM me i just cleared some room in my PM box. 

JiggerMan

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2005, 08:25 AM »
MarshRat, 

Hey I am really interested in this hemlock lake that you were talking about.  Is it in PA, because i dont know of to many lakes in PA that you can catch a 25 pound laker or a 15 pound brown.  The only time that i will be able to make a beechwood trip is monday or next weekend if i do not go to NY ti fish for perch and tiger musky. 

JiggerMan
Ok hemlock is in ny it is 3 miles from canidice it is about 7 miles long and you have to go to to the middle to get the big ones about 3 miles from the south end i we tell you how we do today when we get back

Where do you go in ny?  Dad might go on monday OR EVERDAY OF THE WEEK if they are bitting. Must be nice lol
Christopher S Neal

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2005, 08:54 AM »
Peterburg WV is the home of the Golden trout. I have relatives that live there and I always go to the Hatcheries to see them because I can never seem to catch 1 while I am there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.