Author Topic: Another day of learning at the Mile.  (Read 1101 times)

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Another day of learning at the Mile.
« on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Had the lines wet before 7am. By 7:30 I had already missed six trout. By 10am I missed eleven. One of which I don't want to say how big.By noon I caught four trout,two 18",a 17",and a 15",and
already missed fourteen others! **censored**! Also by noon I saw about 30 fish.It was an excellent day for fishing.By 5pm I saw between fifty and sixty trout and missed seventeen. I saw and missed more
fish today than any day this season,and also the biggest.Just recently I started presenting  my lures in a more natural state but that puts the hook pointing down. I've been getting more hits,but I've also been missing a lot more.With the hook down it is just more apt to pull free as a trout hits it.Not sure what the fix is. Extremely frustrating day considering the amount of fish seen today.Days
like today don't happen that often there. Just wasn't able to capitalize on it.Was breezy in the morning,then let up until about 11:30am, then back to the wind. Tomorrow's another day for abuse,
cant wait. Tight lines.

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Another day of learning at the Mile.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Sounds like an amazing day just getting that many bites in one day at 11 mile. I'm sure it was frustrating missing that many too. How deep in the water could you see?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Not that this is your case but, One day I kept missing a lot of fish. I realized I had my drag set too loose. Once I set it correct I ended up catching 9 trout in less then an hour.  Sometimes it is the simple things that make a big difference. Glad to hear you got into them after all.
<===Lefty===

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:38 AM »
Try tyeing on a "stinger" hook Mark. They sell them pre made but I just make my own so they can be close to the jig.  I use a very small treble about 1/2" from the jig.

Thanks for the report BTW
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline elkdeerbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Thanks for the info. Gonna have to get back out there soon.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Wow, great report.  I don't know if I've seen that many (quality) fish all year at the Mile, let alone in one day.  Too bad about  the misses but at least you arm isn't too sore from reeling them in!! ;D

I just can't believe a vertical presentation caused more misses than usual.  Maybe it has to do with hook gap size and a vertical presentation.  Interesting observation.  Can I ask the size of the jigs?  Were they smaller ones like shrimpos or 1-2" tube jig stuff? 

Well, whatever it was you sure had the mojo yesterday.  Way to go Coboy!  Keep the reports coming.  I sat out this weekend.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:24 PM »
Arkansas,where I'm fishing you can still see well enough to set the hook on finicky trout. At least 10' deep. John,I've been thinking about the stinger for about the last three weeks. I've just haven't got off my butt to make some. Been too busy tying lures and going BLIND.Caught ten small ones today and missed some nice ones.Was really nice to run into B and Todd up there.B caught some
nice ones today. Colorado,I dropped from a size 14 to a size 16 hook. A definite increase in hits.But I was presenting them upside down. Tied them on in their more natural swimming position and again a significant increase in hits. The larger trout as with most of them will feel the bait. Since I sight fish, usually when a trout mouths it I set the hook.  With that size hook,and pointing down,
there's nothing to latch onto as you try to set the hook.No resistance most of the time. In a previous post I've got a photo of a cutty with a chartreuse jig in its mouth. You may see why then.
Tight lines

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Hey Mark  Glad to hear you did well !

- I was also out there yesterday & had simliar experience / I saw + caught/released more trout in one day @ 11 Mile
than all times before COMBINED    Guess even unaccomplished fisherman get to have a good time one day in this life!

Watched them down the hole in 9 FOW (less 2' ice) and they were coming up the jig and giving it a bump, the ones
that went for it were inhaling it without moving an inch.  Had I not been sight fishing, I would have missed just about
every single fish.  Finally found a pattern of watching sonar disturbances then sight fishing / catching

Sure glad I put up & anchored the Eskimo tent early on - without it I never would have been able to sight fish / catch

What a day @ 11!

Unfortunately, never hooked any of the monsters as most were trolling and not approaching the bait

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2012, 10:05 PM »
That was one sweet day you had yesterday, Mark. Great seeing you today, and quite a day you and "B" had. I'll take the training wheels off next trip!  ;)

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2012, 10:26 PM »
I have no idea how you hooked that cutty in the lower jaw.  ???

Offline bgflys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Nice seeing you Mark! I hope we can do it again soon.

Goat - sometimes the student gets lucky...

I hear someone got payback   ;)

"B"

Offline elkdeerbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Thanks for the sight fishing info. I've done sad out there this year compared to the past 3 years.

Offline bgflys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2012, 04:25 PM »
Wondered if you're going back tomorrow?

"B"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.