Author Topic: First decent fish of the year  (Read 1498 times)

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
First decent fish of the year
« on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:37 AM »
Finally something decent.  The weather has been so bad, and Omaha with its endless dink fish, needed something that would at least put up a fight.  29.5 inches, good enough for me. 

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
Re: First decent fish of the year
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Nice cat! That's one of the fish I need to add to my ice list! Thanks for sharing!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:53 AM »
where did ya catch her
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline DonW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Nice channel!! Was it caught jigging or on a tip-up? I have been wanting to target them through the ice, but never had the chance yet.

Tight Lines,
DonW

Offline Slimdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Very nice cat!  They are fun through the ice!

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Nice work Adam! Glad you got out. You seem to always get a nice cat through the ice every year.

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Donw - i guess technically jigging.  That rod was being deadsticked with a minnow.  I yanked and missed at something, rebaited, was dropping it back down with activity still near the bottom, but it more or less got hit upon arrival. 

Brent - You been out much?  Might head to Summit Sunday if your interested.  If not there, probably local but hoping to finally get up there. 

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Brent - You been out much?  Might head to Summit Sunday if your interested.  If not there, probably local but hoping to finally get up there.

Went to PV last Saturday. Typical dink fish. Did catch another perch though. That's my 2nd in 3 yrs.

Going to my cousin's pond north of Tekamah tomorrow and staying the night. Call/text me about Sunday. I may join you, depends on how many barley pops I consume Saturday night.   ;D

Offline tipups10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2012, 07:27 PM »
Great fish.

Offline Munger1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Everyday I think...........is this the day
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Adam,

That is awesome............did he come from the channel or was he in the standard 8-14' of water? Also what happened to the video you guys posted from Sunday? Wanted to show a buddy and it is not on the board anymore? I fished with Matt on Saturday and all was good......glad you guys made it off with everyone OK. You can always buy more tip-ups!

Bob Munger
Everyday I think...........is this the day that I can finally go hit the ice?

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:46 AM »
Adam,

That is awesome............did he come from the channel or was he in the standard 8-14' of water? Also what happened to the video you guys posted from Sunday? Wanted to show a buddy and it is not on the board anymore? I fished with Matt on Saturday and all was good......glad you guys made it off with everyone OK. You can always buy more tip-ups!

Bob Munger

He came from in the channel. 

The video/post was removed.  Clearly in violation of the rules (linking to video with bad language).  Apparenly i am one of those read the rules after you get caught breaking them type of guy.  It is clearly stated in the rules I didnt read).

I can PM you a link to the video if you want.   But yeah, crazy.  Had we been fishing anywhere else we may not have even noticed.  Sitting on the ice heave as it forms is a first for me, and i assumed it took days for them to form, not minutes.  So glad Matt filmed it, and hes glad I grabbed most of his gear off the ice before it sunk.  But yes, would rather lose 5 tipups than swim.  The auger rescue was hairy enough for me.  That ice was already sunken down enough but it was an auger that needed rescued.  The huge crack right after i got it I am pretty sure was that whole area of ice breaking, it sagged hard when i was on it. 

Crazy crazy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.