Author Topic: hali jigs  (Read 1107 times)

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
hali jigs
« on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:32 PM »
just picked up a couple and have never used them.  How do you folks fish em? 
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: hali jigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:54 PM »
bump.  no takers?? 
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:35 PM »
I like em on those days the little bait thieves cant make up their minds weither they wanna taste it or take it. They are good on those light bite and picky days because the fish only feels the weight of the bait and chain and not the whole lure so they are less apt to be scared off by the weight of the jig. Of course on some days they will kill it too, but on light bite days i love them. Just my .02

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:45 PM »
They are great! Just bait them up with your favorite or I should say the fishs favorite bait. You jig them some or just dead stick works also. You can diff length chains and and chains with a small glow bead on them and super easy to change the chains.

Offline petenice1304

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2012, 05:31 AM »
i jig them and dead stick em i like them alot me and the two guys i fish with use them all the time,i just bought 2 more.

Offline 1CE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Lose the chain and re-tie the hook with mono

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:46 PM »
I jig a few times and then slightly jiggle the rod tip to make the baited hook dance on the chain: Repeat as necessary.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2012, 05:08 AM »
The Hali is a perch killer, #25 ARFG prech is my favorite.

Offline hap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2012, 05:48 AM »
Looks like something I could have used yesterday. Just ordered a few. It will be a couple weekends before I can get back out on the ice to try them.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:19 PM »
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2012, 02:44 PM »
Love the jigs but the chains are junk. I replaced them with a Northland sting'r hooks.

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:33 PM »
good jigs but have had 2 of the hooks break. retied with my own hook setup
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:39 PM »
I did get to use mine this weekend and I hate the hook.  Think I will lose chain and use floro or braid with maybe a size 12 owner mosquito hook.  I had some nibbles but no takers and I could see the fish come off the bottom to investigate.  Do not like the hooks that come with it. I don't know why just doesn't look strong.  if a decent trout sucked that thing in I would not feel confident that the hook would set/perform well. 

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:56 AM »
I hear ya on the hook and chain. They suck! I have used them for several years for crappie,blue gill and perch. I switched out the chain with a different companys offering that is a little beefier with a size 8 hook so I can use cut bait. Pack the maggots on and hang on!!fyi the replacement chains and hooks from Hali are higher than balls on a giraffe. Look around and you'll find different companies out there that offer a decent product at a cheaper price.
Having a crappie day and loving it!

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2012, 04:18 PM »
People complain about the hook/chain on the Hali, experienced very few break offs, no more than some high priced Tungsten jigs I purchased. It's my go to lure for prech on Lake George, NY., the times when I loose a Hali to a laker or pike is when I try to force the fish up quickly, I'm using 4lb. test with a fas-snap. The Shuck's Jigger Minnow is another alternative to the Hali, don't care for the the hook/chain and split ring on the Kodiak Perpetual Motion. I tie a ice fly 12" above the Hali, big perch ignore the spoon and hit the fly. Bait the Hali with spikes no bait on the fly, black body with a red tail, tie my own with #8 hook and some yarn.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.