Author Topic: Mayatan Lake  (Read 1375 times)

Offline 2tall4u

• IceShanty Rookie
Mayatan Lake
« on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Is anyone fishing Mayatan lake ? I will be going there on Sunday and would like to know if the fish are biting?

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • aw ...give the fishy a kiss.
Re: Mayatan Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:02 PM »
The lake partially winterkilled last year. not much perch but there are some pike -at least some guys were out there fishing for them. I was planning on checking it out myself one of these weeks. let us know if theres any action. too bad a few years ago it had some great perch fishing.
CAN'T.....STOP....FISHING. ...

Offline gwildeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:40 AM »
heard the winterkill was minor and the pike are doing well.
NEVER MET A FISH I DIDN'T LIKE!!!!!!!

Offline IceAnvil

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:51 PM »
was there the other day seen a few hammer handles on the cam, and some perch in th 6-7 inch range were caught and released by myself.

~Gone Fishing~

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Mayatan is an odd lake-it has a spring fed 80 foot hole. talking to a guy who'd lived on the lake for many years said they get the odd perch winterkill. just means the perch are smaller some years. I guess if the big pike are in the deep hole in a winterkill year, the perch take their chances lol!!

Offline 2tall4u

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Fished Mayatan today with 2 friends , fishing was slow only landed 1 legal pike but lost 4 on the tip ups , biggest perch was maybe 4inchs . Around 10 trucks on the ice the whole day .

Offline crazy_chef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2012, 01:39 PM »
I’ve been disappointed the last 2 times out this year to Mayatan.  No pike on the tip-up at all but I did have a school of 4” perch to keep me entertained each time I went out.  The lake is much busier than I have ever seen it and for such a small lake it might just be too much pressure.   I enjoy a day on the ice even If I get skunked, or catch and release a hand full of 4’ perch.  It is usually just about getting out on the ice… but in search of actually catching dinner I am not sure I will be back for round three at Mayatan.
Gone fishin', be back at dark-thirty!

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Too bad, a couple years ago there were less people and more fish. that said theres not that many places people can go within an hour of Edmonton. used to be a great "secret spot " lol! lakes change, fishing spots do too :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.