The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bait ?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline vtmwrw

• IceShanty Rookie
Bait ?
« on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:07 AM »
I am considering opening a small bait shop in Northfield and have a connection to supply me with white belly suckers and rainbow smelt. In my opinion the shiners that most shops carry aren't worth a crap for trout fishing and suckers would be better for pike. If you guys had a choice would you actually buy goldens if the suckers and smelt were available?

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bait ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:10 AM »
Not sure how you would be getting around the current vt bait laws??

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Better go to the Vt fish and Wildlife site and check out the baitfish regs. highly unlikely you can sell wild bait. Most likely you will have to buy bait from a certified wholesaler and the word is that all the VT bait dealers are getting their bait from the same place in the midwest Here is the link. http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/vhs.cfm

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Yes, I would buy goldens if smelt and suckers were available.  The type of bait available isn't what I have a problem with, it is the sizes available.  Be nice if I could get 6-10 inchers on the regular.

Offline vtmwrw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:17 AM »
If you read the current 2012 fish and wildlife brocure it clearly states that it is leagal
for commercial bait dealers to sell both species that i listed provided they are obtained from a hatchery approved by the commissioner. Page 51 and 52. I have done my homework and also spoke with VT fish and game. Thanks for the input.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Are there any VHS free rainbow smelt hatcheries/dealers?  I know NY is selling VHS free suckers, hopefully we get them in VT next year...

Offline Big Ben

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://docksideoutdoors.com/
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:52 PM »
I want some smelt? If you can get that many call me! I just want to eat them.

802-891-6158

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:39 PM »
What's up no Muskie left in the freezer? :)

Offline perchslayer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:12 PM »
if vt bait dealers were alowed to sell suckers and smelt then theywould be selling them now and i believe all bait has to come from 1 place that they aproved in arkansa

Offline slopoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:20 AM »
you know, the bait restrictions in this state are just completely retarded! nh and ny can both fish the same waters we do and dont have any bait restrictions. then again most of what our f&w dept does is retarded. just my opinion and sorry for my lack of adjectives.
its easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission... FISH ON!!!

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:20 AM »
you know, the bait restrictions in this state are just completely retarded! NH and NY can both fish the same waters we do and don't have any bait restrictions. then again most of what our f&w dept does is retarded. just my opinion and sorry for my lack of adjectives.

ya may want to read up a bit more for your own knowledge,  NY does have restrictions and rules I am not sure about NH but pretty sure they do also... Noted we do have one of the strictest bait laws in the country, do we like them no probably not  but I would sure as hell rather my state F&W tries to do something to prevent a disease that would decimate our lakes.  The Fish and Wildlife is required by statutes to do what they can to preserve our natural resources for current and future generations and that is what they are doing,  we don't have to like what they are doing but know damn well they are trying to prevent a terrible thing from getting into our inland waters  if you really have no clue on what VHS can do then I would suggest searching the subject.. 
OUR BAIT IS GAURENTEED TO CATCH FISH OR DIE TRYING :-)

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:21 AM »
ya may want to read up a bit more for your own knowledge,  NY does have restrictions and rules I am not sure about NH but pretty sure they do also... Noted we do have one of the strictest bait laws in the country, do we like them no probably not  but I would sure as hell rather my state F&W tries to do something to prevent a disease that would decimate our lakes.  The Fish and Wildlife is required by statutes to do what they can to preserve our natural resources for current and future generations and that is what they are doing,  we don't have to like what they are doing but know damn well they are trying to prevent a terrible thing from getting into our inland waters  if you really have no clue on what VHS can do then I would suggest searching the subject..

Well put
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:27 AM »

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:36 AM »
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:24 AM »

My issue is not the prevention of spreading disease, my issue is the the rule itself. Educate people about not mixing water from lake to lake- educate people about the disease and not spreading it. Right now by having the law say only bring bait on, not off, only good for 4 days, only this bait and not that bait- I think the only people following these rules are the people who follow all the regulations anyway. If there were less strict bait laws (but still preventative) those people will still follow those set of rules. The people who don't follow less strict bait laws probably weren't following the really strict ones in the first place. I've just never seen a point in having a law that can't really be enforced well.

Offline Big Ben

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://docksideoutdoors.com/
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:41 AM »
My issue is not the prevention of spreading disease, my issue is the the rule itself. Educate people about not mixing water from lake to lake- educate people about the disease and not spreading it. Right now by having the law say only bring bait on, not off, only good for 4 days, only this bait and not that bait- I think the only people following these rules are the people who follow all the regulations anyway. If there were less strict bait laws (but still preventative) those people will still follow those set of rules. The people who don't follow less strict bait laws probably weren't following the really strict ones in the first place. I've just never seen a point in having a law that can't really be enforced well.

OMG! When I read CJiceaddict's post a ray of light and came blasting threw the ceiling of my office and the sound of harps could be heard......That's the most comman sense response I have read since the "educational" law of bait regulations has gone into effect.

I hate filling out bait slips more that anything!

You should see the look on peoples faces in disbelief when the come from out of sate to purchase bait......Priceless!

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:26 AM »
OMG! When I read CJiceaddict's post a ray of light and came blasting threw the ceiling of my office and the sound of harps could be heard......That's the most comman sense response I have read since the "educational" law of bait regulations has gone into effect.

I hate filling out bait slips more that anything!

You should see the look on peoples faces in disbelief when the come from out of sate to purchase bait......Priceless!

I can't argue that point either I would have to agree Ben..

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:09 AM »
Well put
I agree! We need to protect what we have.
I don't care for the new laws or the bait we have to use, but our fisheries are worth it in my opinion!
Pluse it forces us to become better fisherman.
Some states don't allow live bait at all.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:16 PM »
What's up no Muskie left in the freezer? :)

LMAO!! ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.