Author Topic: Charging/Jumping ATV  (Read 1852 times)

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Charging/Jumping ATV
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:41 PM »
On our most recent ice fishing trip, we had temperatures below -20, and our quad was stored outside.  This was killing the battery, requireing us to jump the battery off of the truck every morning.  The only problem is the battery is a pain to get at (remove front rack, and front fender cover, which sucks at 5am and 20 below!).  Is there a way to permanently wire a plug to the battery that would allow you to jump or charge the battery without actually getting at the battery?  Appreciate any ideas.
Prayin' for cold

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
Re: Charging/Jumping ATV
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:54 PM »

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:23 PM »
I have 350a connections for my multi-mount winch on my jeep, they're great.
However, although that could work short term your battery is going to be junk soon. Better route would be a battery heater, keep that plugged in overnight and your battery will be happy. Make sure you're using proper oil for the temps, maybe even oil heater that sticks to bottom of motor.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

...this was a short-term situation.  We usually don't see those kind of temps down here, and even if we do the quad is usually garage-kept.  We were on a 3 day trip, and the quad was stored outside.  I think I'll go with the connectors...andy advice on size?  The 350A seem a bit overkill, not that that's a bad thing in extreme conditions.  Also, 2/0 wire seems pretty heavy duty for this application, but I'm also not an electrician.  So if I have this correct in my head, with one of these connectors wired to the battery, I just have to rig a pair of jumpers with the matching plug on one end?  I'll probably end up doing the same with a trickle charger as well.

I didn't even think about the oil, but, especially with battery concerns, once the engine was warmed up in the morning (we let it idle for 20-30 minutes before running it) we fired it up about once an hour to make sure the engine didn't freeze up and the battery kept it's juice.  Do most of you change the weight of oil you run between winter and summer?
Prayin' for cold

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:16 AM »
If you are only charging you can get away with smaller wires, If you are going to jump start it, then you will need heavier wires...

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:25 PM »
Were you at a hotel with an outside electrical plug?  I have an external pigtail wired harnessed to my ATV battery for my trickle charger.  When I travel, I take the charger, the Styrofoam box in which it resides, and an extension cord with me just to keep my battery topped off regardless of weather. 
Chris Raymond

Offline atvjumpers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I think were gonna need a bigger hole !
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:26 PM »
google atvjumpers ;D

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:40 PM »
I did exactly that with mine, ran a foot of #6AWG terminated with an Anderson Connector and it's secured at the edge of the hood.   The mating end of the Anderson connector has enough wire connected to it to get a boost.  Roll that up and it stays under the seat.

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:51 PM »
If you pick up a battery tender it comes with a pigtail that bolts to your terminals both pos & neg run the leads out where you can get to them then just plug it in without taking anything apart. works like a champ. ;D

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:36 AM »
okay, you need a new battery. plain and simple. And after replacing the battery, get a battery tender to keep it charged. Something like the Optimate 3 or they sell one at walmart for $20 and i forget the name of it. but i have both and they both work great on charging the small tractor style batteries. Once a battery is charged fully, cold usually helps keep it charged. The cold air actually reduces the amount of charge that leaks out.. Batteries left in the sun will discharge WAY faster. but if you charge your battery and it still doesn't hold a charge overnight even in the cold air, then the battery is bad. Replace it. Simple as that. I have had my ATV battery below freezing for up to 2+ months and it always starts. I am talking some pretty cold nights well below 0.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Definately going to wire in a pigtail for a maintainer, but I thought of something...we have a winch mounted on the front, that is wired to a contactor and then to the battery.  The winch is easy to get at, would there be a problem jumping off of the winch terminals?  Are these terminals only live when the rocker switch (also connected to the contactor) is engaged?
Prayin' for cold

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2012, 01:02 PM »
I don't have a front mounted winch, but I do have a moose plow mounted hoist that only puts power up or down when the rocker switch is moved. Power comes off the battery on an inline fused wire. In answer to your question you could find out with a 12 volt test light. How come your battery is so hard to get at ? Mine is mounted under the seat.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2012, 01:46 PM »
I don't have a front mounted winch, but I do have a moose plow mounted hoist that only puts power up or down when the rocker switch is moved. Power comes off the battery on an inline fused wire. In answer to your question you could find out with a 12 volt test light. How come your battery is so hard to get at ? Mine is mounted under the seat.

Thanks, I figured as much.

The battery on ours is in the front of the machine, which means removing the front rack and fenders to get at it.
Prayin' for cold

Offline badgericeman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bad day fishing beats a good day at work Go Pack!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:29 PM »
tinyfisher,

During the winter I keep a battery tender hooked up to the battery in the garage.  you can get them from harbor freight tools anywhere from $9-$15.  Works great.  It just keeps the battery level maintained at the appropriate level.  hasn't let me down yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.