New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Anyone drive a diesel?  (Read 628 times)

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone drive a diesel?
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:55 AM »
So I am looking at getting a truck soon. I want to get a diesel. I have 99 dodge 2500 right now but I want something that has a little better towing.  So I been looking at the late 90's era diesels.   Now i know everyone has there own brand that they are loyale to.  But I am looking for facts.  How many miles you got on your truck?  How is the up keep on it?  Any major issues?  How does it tow?    Any help would be great.  If you know anyone that has one for sale let me know.      The only thing that I am worried about it the cold nights/days   Last year this guy that was ice fishing had a cummings  and he had a little 800watt generater running in hte back of his truck to run the block heater. lol   I would hate to be fishing on a real cold day and not have the truck start when i got back to it.     
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone drive a diesel?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Diesel is a great way to go for towing. Most all trucks have preheaters or glow plugs so starting usually not an issue. Jelled fuel on a cold day can be but most fuel has antigel in it. As far as a make ford seems to be better in my eyes followed by dodge longevity is no problem but like anything they all have there little quirks to them. Key to a diesel is proper maintenance and if something starts to go fix it quick cause costs of everything is higher to fix.
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Offline Dogwalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:11 PM »
in that era cant go wrong with a ford or dodge. I would lean more towards dodge as the 5.9 commonrail motor is bullet proof and that motor is used in more than the trucks so parts are everywhere. if you do look at fords I would get something with a 7.3 liter.

also. fuel gelling isnt that big of a deal. always add an antigel additive and you should be good. but I always have a bottle of diesel 911 in my truck for the -10-20 days. just in case.
I am into Diesel trucks as well and get my
fix on Diesel bombers

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:22 PM »
Thank's.    I was looking at this older ford that was in decent shape but I dont think it had a turbo.  I cant see a diesel not having a turbo.  Has to be gutless.  My car has a turbo and when the turbo went bad the thing had zero power it was just like anyother 4 cyl.    There is alot of the cummings around but they go for crazy amounts of money.  96 cummings for like $7500 and the body is rotted.   That's just crazy.   And i know my dodge has been through a cpl trannys and front ends.   So i am sure the diesel have that issue to.
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline CAPITALCRAPPY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:30 PM »
I drive a dodge diesel with the 24 valve 5.9 and love it. It will pull anything I put behind it and still gets 20+ mpg. Yes they all have one thing or another with each make, but every one that I know having the 6.o ford diesel has had problems with egr valve. The older 7.3 were much more reliable. Another thing to remember is that even though the engines run forever other wear parts like front ends and suspension components wear like any other truck.

Offline icedd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:54 PM »
I had an 86 ford 230,000 on it when sold still ran good 91 92 03 dodges went to a 2005 chevy great drive train 160,000 when traded truck was not holding up lot's of little problems brake sensors mostly at 375.00 a whack it gets expensive went back to the dodge in 2011 For my money dodge is best all around never had a starting problem with ant of them.

Offline oneidaeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Also known as FISH ON on MFF!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:16 PM »
My father inlaw had a new 2003 ford duelly diesel, And used it to tow 5th wheelers, boats, trailers, and car carriers. That thing could tow a tank. He worked for a company in indiana, and has been all over the U.S. When he sold it it had almost 900,000 miles on it, Yes i said 900k on it and the truck still looked new. His brother inlaw did the same but used a 99 ram diesel that did ok but wasn't as good on gas as the ford did. Good luck.

Offline apope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:26 PM »
I have worked on diesel engins most of my life. with todays modern glow plugs and ignitions there is no reason for a truck not to start on its own down to 20 below 0 if it is maintaned and fuil is conditioned every time the tank is filled. I plug mine in at home only because it is easier on the truck. many days i leave work at -20 start the truck let it warm up a bit and drive home. ( not this winter yet}.

Offline jiggin jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "drillin holes & jiggin poles"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:04 PM »
 I drive a dodge 2500 with a 24 valve and it has all the power you need but the dodge auto trans blows you cant put any power down on a stock dodge trans as you upgrade parts such as injectors. turbo, exhaust ,programers ,etc... the trans cant hold the power you need a 6 speed standard trans save your money and by a 04.5 or newer dodge. and remember "STOCK" diesels suck after you buy one you will spend lots of $ on upgrades but i rather spend a bunch of money than to drive a turd gas truck .

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:33 PM »
My 2000 Excursion with a 7.4 diesel has 250,000 miles on it now. I just got back from a trip to Alabama and I got 20 mpg. It'll tow anything and holds a queen sized bed in the back for when I  head to Lake Ontario fishing for days. Man I love that thing!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.