The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Shaker Pond Sunday/ Wuz it You?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Shaker Pond Sunday/ Wuz it You?
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Wondering if anyone on this board was on Shaker Sunday. My buddy and I went in search of a few crappie. There was a group fishing near us, two adult men (father and son I think) and three small....one of which was very small, children. The reason I ask is that even though we caught some fish, the best part of the day was watching and listening to those kids. They were set up in the shallows on some very active pickerel and yellow perch water. Every couple of minutes the "FLAG" call would come and the kids would race for it arguing about who's turn it was. Went on for most of the day. Lot of fun to watch and listen to. If someone knows who I'm talking about....congrats to the Dad and "Papa" that had them out there. They seemed well entertained as well as well behaved. Bet they slept very well once they got home....
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
Re: Shaker Pond Sunday/ Wuz it You?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Great post!!  Did you find any crappie?
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is really what its all about??

Offline phoenix53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:30 PM »
First of all, those kids did sleep like lambs.  And so did the dads.   I just want to highlight a couple other parts to that day.  First, there's the guy (who will remain nameless) who drove over after lunch and offered us his extra bait (We thought 4 dozen shiners would get us through the day).  Ryan (sorry, but you deserve to be recognized), thank you for providing the kids with an extra hour or two of chasing flags.  That one act pretty much summarizes Maine outdoorsmen, and why this is the way life should be.  Then, there's the story of my 8 year old son who wanted his 8 inch, 8 ounce Pickerel (or Pickler, as he now calls 'em) mounted on the wall up at camp.   "It's my first Pickler, dad, and I want to remember it."  Not sure I'll be calling a taxidermist for that one, but I can promise you one thing - he won't forget it, and I'm hoping he'll be a fisherman for life after that day.   There's also the story about my buddy's five year old daughter, who finally pulled in a fish after about twenty failed attempts.  I don't know if i can describe the smile on her face when she finally hooked and landed her first "pickler" onto the ice.     I could also tell you about the two bald eagles that showed up at the end of day, and decided to put on an aerial show for us.  You can't see that on tv.  It's moments like last Sunday's trip to Shaker that make you pretty grateful for the outdoors.  I'm grateful to my buddy who took me ice fishing for the first time almost 15 years ago.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to take our kids fishing.  I'm grateful for the guy who wrote this original post, and all the other fishermen out there who understand the code of the outdoors.     

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Awesome I wish I could remember what my fisrt fish I ever caught was.............  Its stories like this that make me love this sport

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Now thats a first post!!! :clap: Love it.. I hope to meet you guys out there some weekend.

Off topic, I havnt been there this year. By any chance is the gate opened?  I have a hardside shack I want to put out there. Any other shacks out on the lake? One more question.. How much ice? 

Thank You Ed
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is really what its all about??

Offline kezar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:19 PM »
Not sure how much ice, especially after today.....  But the gate has been closed every time that I have been by. Yesterday was my last time by.  Great post by the way, glad the kids got some fish!!!!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Awesome thread!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Great post!!  Did you find any crappie?

We got a dozen or so big enough to fillet.....some small ones, yellow perch, couple "pickel" fish  a bass.....,.typical Shaker fishing. Good day though
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:01 PM »
 :clap: I love this! Keep it up dad you won't be sorry, my 14yr old son still can't wait to go every weekend. Even though it gets costlier as they get older with snowmobiles and wheelers, it's well worth every penny just to have the kids want to spend time with you, vs the video games. We throw a football, fly a kite and race each other to flags. Who other than ice fishing dads can say that! ;)

Offline MEbearhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:36 AM »
good reading love this post! ;D

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:14 AM »
This is one of the best threads this year!  Congrats to you guys and your kids!  I personally love a day on the ice with my wife and daughter catching perch and pickeral far more than any other days out!

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:48 AM »
This is a feel good story for sure.

Offline ericjonette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Awesome post, LOVE IT!!! I love taking the kids fishing, thay have a blast. The wife comes quite a bit and we make it a family event, great memories. My daughter is seven and she loves catching salmon. We went to Mcgrath Monday and caught a small pickerel, or "pickeler" and the first thing she said was, "we can use that as bait to catch a salmon!!"  It was too funny. We caught a lot of junk fish but the kids had a blast!! Both kids are looking forward to go to Moosehead during school vacation so they can catch some salmon!!
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:37 PM »
wow great first post....now that is how you introduce yourself

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2012, 03:45 PM »
what a pleasure to here this story wish you many more trips.

Offline tilted

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:27 PM »
Awesome............... ......... :tipup:
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

Offline bosoxfanme

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just trying to teach/make memories w/ my kids.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:37 PM »
Awesome thread and posts. It's great to fish with the kids. Like someone mentioned, love to hear 'em yell "flag" and begin the run.  Keep it up dad. :tipup: :) :tipup: :)

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:05 AM »
Nothing better than a day on the ice with the family ! Congrats and welcome to the Shanty !
---- Joe ----

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:43 AM »
Great post! Wish there were more like it

Offline brookiechaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Sounds like an awesome day..there are shanty get togethers for members. should have one with kids. sit back and watch the fun
Kids screaming and chasing flags...... that is what it is about!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.