Author Topic: ATV'S ON SD LAKES  (Read 3346 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
ATV'S ON SD LAKES
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Could anyone tell me offhand what the regs are on ATV's and UTV's for ice fishing?  I know that the trail and road use regs are mirrors, helmets, etc.  But...what exactly is required to operate one on a lake?  Mine is registered in IA since NE doesn't have an ATV registration per se.  Any info would be appreciated..thanks.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
Re: ATV'S ON SD LAKES
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:32 AM »
I don't believe helmets are even required in South Dakota for road use, Boji.  I'll do a little searching and get back to you.
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Appreciated.  I went through this 3 years and can't remember what i found out.  Something about home state requirements are reciprocal or..something...LOL.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Found some state park regs.  Helmets are required if you are under 18.  ATV must be licensed, with brake, brake lights, mirror, lights.  ATV must have it's own Parks Pass if driving in a State Park!  Eye protection is required, unless you have a windshield.  I can't find anything specifically for SD lakes.  I'll do a bit more checking.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Thanks man..I know the state parks are regulated.  But I saw several ATV / UTV on the ice and no one had stickers other than out of state ones from what I could see.  That, of course, means nothing as far as "is it legal".  Nothing will ruin a trip fasted than a good ticket.

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:14 PM »
I'm from SoDak and run my old Polaris on the ice.  I have never seen or heard of anyone getting ticketed, but who knows.  Are you headed back up this weekend?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:26 PM »
YES SIR.   Be up on Thurs around noon.  Fishing through sunday...

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:27 PM »
On the ice I don't think it matters, but if you are cruising around on the roads, ect around the lake it might become a different story. Street legal requires registration, mirror, horn, headlight, brakelight and eye protection.
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Lake only....I don't have enough hifax to start draggin my otter down gravel roads.  Most the perch I catch there seem to be in the water.   I appreciate the info...

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:04 PM »
BH we brought a wheeler last wk/end, and asked Doug at the cove. He said that you would only need as your state requires. The game wardens came, and no tickets issued, so must have been ok!
Herm Krepel

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:32 PM »
SD has a loose set of laws that govern atv use.  I believe the only requirement is it be titled if using it off-road (lake,field,etc).  You can license it and as long as you meet requirement for motorcycle use (horn,mirror,headlights,brakes/lights) you can take it on any roads,highway except for interstate hwys.  I dont have mine licensed but have been meaning to because of accessing lakes via state parks,county roads.  I might be mistaken but gravel roads are same as off road.  Sounds like even golf carts if engine size is big enough can be licensed and driven on roads.  I am sure you are ok if titled in another state and not flying down the highway :)

Offline bibs1789

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:39 PM »
lmao  most I catch are in the water also.. Will be up there Thursday evening to fish all weekend.  By sounds of reports all is doing well.  Bitter, Waubay, also had good repot on Swan.  Good luck to everyone and be safe.  Will have the blue Yamaha with the frabill fortress tagging behind feel free to stop in and say hi..
Set the hook bozo

Offline Greasy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:00 AM »
There is a difference between a state park and state boat landing and if you are using the boat landing no sticker required
82 pinto, acid washed levi's, members only jacket, Dekalb stocking hat, and a banana hamock

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:17 AM »
I asked the fella at the Rooster on sat ha said there was no sticker req or anything that he knew of and I talked to a g&f fella he said no req that he knew of  ;D
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:56 AM »
THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS.  SOUNDS LIKE I'M GOOD TO GO THEN.  THAT ROCKS...CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK UP...THIS WILL MAKE 12 DAYS SPENT UP THERE SINCE SEPT.  MIGHT HAVE TO LOOK AT PROPERTY THIS TIME.  SOMETHING NOT UNDERWATER..LOL. I USED TO SAY "YOU CAN'T CATCH FISH FROM YOUR LIVING ROOM".   I'VE SEEN SOME PLACES UP THERE THAT MIGHT HAVE SOME PERCH IN THE LIVING ROOM.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.