Author Topic: Granby 1/21/12  (Read 2204 times)

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Granby 1/21/12
« on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:05 AM »
Finally made it out to the ice!!!  We left here @ 3:30am and headed for the hills, got to the lake at 6 and was on the ice by 6:30. What a Great morning to be in the mountains.

Started catching the small lakers right away (15-20"ers)

Then about 10 this guy hit and it was the best day I've ever had @ Granby 7.24 lbs

We fished 54 FOW with various tube jigs tipped with sucker meat, the bite was a tuff one, kinda like catching perch. Hit the snow storm on the way down but traffic actually moved  :o :o Overall a great day to be out, at this rate I might just go once a month if I keep getting rewarded with nice fish.
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Granby 1/21/12
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:41 AM »
Nice fish John! Glad you made it out. Hope the family is well.

Offline Granbysbia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:58 AM »
very nice. i was there yesterday also. they screwed the forecast big time, it was another beautiful granby day! i wished i fished down on that end as well

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2012, 04:57 PM »
That is real beaut...How they eat,Aint got no fish like that around centeral Indiana,,,lol

Offline elkdeerbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Great report and pictures. Wish it wasn't so far away for me.

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:35 PM »
Nice fish John! Glad you made it out. Hope the family is well.
Family is great, thanks for asking Mark. Jack is up to 10 lbs 9oz, I was hoping for a bigger laker then him lol.
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline Pklures

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • PK Lures -- Catching Fish Redefined!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Here's a pretty laker our guys picked up on Granby (same day) on jigging spoons.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Nice report and great photos.  Beautiful laker!  Was it as windy as expected up there?  Doesn't look it.

Hey, PKLures, I picked up a couple of flutterfish last year and try them about every other trip.  I've never gotten any interest in them (silver one and a white glo).  How do you fish it?  I tried it on Turqouise last year tipped with sucker - no dice.  Gave it an hour.  Haven't hit a mack lake this year but am not getting any interest in it at 11 Mile either.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Go to the Walleye thread. Theres a video on how they work the lure. I haven't got a laker yet but have caught everything else using them. Hope this helps.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:32 AM »
Here's a pretty laker our guys picked up on Granby (same day) on jigging spoons.

(Image removed from quote.)

I just love those PK lures. I won some last year. I like the one you caught that laker on.
<===Lefty===

Offline Pklures

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • PK Lures -- Catching Fish Redefined!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Nice report and great photos.  Beautiful laker!  Was it as windy as expected up there?  Doesn't look it.

Hey, PKLures, I picked up a couple of flutterfish last year and try them about every other trip.  I've never gotten any interest in them (silver one and a white glo).  How do you fish it?  I tried it on Turqouise last year tipped with sucker - no dice.  Gave it an hour.  Haven't hit a mack lake this year but am not getting any interest in it at 11 Mile either.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Here's a link to the video, and to the instructional "how to" for vertical jigging the Flutterfish.  One of the key things is to not tip it if you can at all avoid it, and if you do tip it, don't use it as a flutterspoon, but more as a standard jigging spoon.  If you'd like to talk to one of our ProStaff, send me a personal message and I'll set you up!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=209069.msg2103409#msg2103409

&feature=youtu.be

Offline Brute Force

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Way to get after em' John. Very nice seven pounder! Looks like Old Blue is still running good for ya.
We were up there on the 14th and could only manage about eight fish each. All small ones. One of those tough bites I guess.

We did catch several dinks on 1/4oz Flutterfish! I need to find a store here in Denver that carries in the 3/8 or 1/2 oz versions.
Caught one on a buckshot spoon too!

Brute

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Best 300 bucks we ever spent, she fires right up every time  :)

I always seem to forget about the PKspoons I have, maybe next time I'll tie one on  ;D
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline gottafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Sweet laker! That body of water sure is a special place. I really appreciate it that it's managed for trophy fish. We caught lakers on Green Mountain a few weeks ago using PK's naked. Work em.

Offline sg2no

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:09 AM »
Valley Country tackle has em as well as some of the Jax Stores, you can also order them out of Cabela's. Near the lake Rocky Mtn. Outfitters in Granby has them also with even more insight in the ways to trigger lakers with them. They have something going with the copper I can't seem to re-produce.

Fishing the spoons for lakers is a little different than the walleye tech, I move the hook to the top of the lure or just fish it upside down. I attach sucker skin less the meat to reduce the effect on the action. Try popping  it off the bottom a few times and then go to a wiggle on the bottom in the silt or smeg while only lifting the front of the spoon almost jigging a tube on the bottom the bite ends up being a lift or tap. ( The key for me is always have some contact with the weight of the spoon. )

PS. I am Stev G and am affiliated with PK as a Rep and also guide with Bernie on Granby.

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to give them a try next time out  ;D
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:39 AM »
Nice fish Big, glad to hear from you this year!!

Offline bgflys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:42 PM »
Nice work John. Great to have good action and to haul in a nice one like that. A great day of fishing. I know Granby can be tough but it looks like you got it figured out.

"B"

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:29 AM »
I'm going to Granby during the week of 2/15/ through 2/17 or 18. Any advise would be great, any areas to check out or stay away from. Question I have can I get around with an ATV and do I need anything, like a permit, park permit. I'm well equipted and fish for lake trout alot (Flaming Gorge isn't freezing this year)

Found out our friend have a "cabin" up there. Have known them for 6 years and never talked about it. Should have been talked about sooner. LOL

Thanks Appleye
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:53 AM »
The only thing I can think of is you'll need to put on at the boat ramp with the ATV. The slush conditions will change before then so you might want to ask again when it's closer.  ;)
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.