Author Topic: Anyboy got an ice update on winisquam  (Read 1495 times)

Offline baitemin

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyboy got an ice update on winisquam
« on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:56 AM »
Looking for an ice update up by 3 islands.

surflizard

Re: Anyboy got an ice update on winisquam
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:08 AM »
There is ice there. Safest bet would be to check it yourself.

Offline baitemin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2012, 01:38 PM »
Thanks Surf..  That was enough to get me to go for a ride this morning. Could see no open water anywhere around the north end and even down to pot island. Ventured out a ways with the chisle 2-3 "+/- and was just too sketchy for me with the snow cover.

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2012, 03:08 PM »
From Pot island down isn't much better, 3 people walked out off horse point. Mohawk Island village is up and running, half a dozen house out there this morning !

Offline Philly Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:05 PM »
For the past several years my friends and I have spent President's weekend icefishing on Winnisquam, but decided to move our trip up one weekend sooner for the fishing derby. I'm hoping we'll have enough ice. Anybody familiar with the area around lexington and shore? How is that looking?

Also, Winnisquam is stocked for the derby, right? How does that work? Like, do they only stock one or two places on the lake limiting the location of the fish, or do they spread the stocking around?

Thanks, Bob

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:46 PM »
With the heavy rain coming in tonight, it will be anyones guess, the ice will be sketchy at best till some cold air comes back in for next week ! Be careful if your gonna try it !

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:37 PM »
For the past several years my friends and I have spent President's weekend icefishing on Winnisquam, but decided to move our trip up one weekend sooner for the fishing derby. I'm hoping we'll have enough ice. Anybody familiar with the area around lexington and shore? How is that looking?

Also, Winnisquam is stocked for the derby, right? How does that work? Like, do they only stock one or two places on the lake limiting the location of the fish, or do they spread the stocking around?

Thanks, Bob
Here is the site. They have a list of lakes that get stocked with tagged rainbows. Good luck.

http://meredithrotary.org/

Capt. Black

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:34 PM »
The taggies will swim any and everywhere. Just because they got put in a specific spot in no way means your odds are better right there. The tag makes them no different from other bows they will swim around looking for sufficient food and habitat just the same.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:26 PM »
i'd wait before venturing around 3 islands, make sure you see others out

Offline Philly Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Capt. Black, Aquaassassin,

I just went to the Derby website and did a little reading. I was under the impression that the Rotary stocked the lakes with tagged fish just prior to the Derby and only for the derby. That's not the case. Right? We've actually never caught a rainbow through the ice. Just a few lake trout.
Bob

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Capt. Black, Aquaassassin,

I just went to the Derby website and did a little reading. I was under the impression that the Rotary stocked the lakes with tagged fish just prior to the Derby and only for the derby. That's not the case. Right? We've actually never caught a rainbow through the ice. Just a few lake trout.
Bob

If Im not mistaken,  the tagged Rainbows get stocked month(s) prior to the Derby so that they have a chance to spread out/move.
I heard that in the early years they used to stock them a week or two prior and the fish never really go a chance to disburse, and stayed right near the stock sites. It makes sense that they'd want the fish to spread out, so that there is the possibitlity of catching a tagged rainbow anywhere throghout the lakes.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:44 AM »
If Im not mistaken,  the tagged Rainbows get stocked month(s) prior to the Derby so that they have a chance to spread out/move.
I heard that in the early years they used to stock them a week or two prior and the fish never really go a chance to disburse, and stayed right near the stock sites. It makes sense that they'd want the fish to spread out, so that there is the possibitlity of catching a tagged rainbow anywhere throghout the lakes.

X2

Capt. Black

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:56 AM »
According to the F&G Stocking reports, the Majority of the last of the Rainbow stocking is done in July to allow the fish to acclimate themselves to the waterbodies they are stocked into, with some post spawn stocking in certain lakes and ponds shortly after !

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:47 AM »
And don't forget just because it has a tag doesn't mean it qualifies. I caught 3 during the derby like 6 or 7 years ago and not one of them hit the 15 in. mark to qualify.Some of the fresh ones may not even be big enough.

surflizard

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:58 AM »
I still can't fathom that decision myself, why bother tagging fish that don't pass the minimum length required  ???

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:00 AM »
Talk about multiple letdowns from the highest high to the lowest low........ ::)

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:46 AM »
Bump. Anyone have an update on the 3 islands area ice??

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:31 PM »
it is ice covered, but i believe it's not safe to venture out on, not until we get some better weather for several days. currents in the area with relatively new ice make it unpredictable.i may check this wkend

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:46 PM »
Thanks WG. I've never fished it, thinking about hiking that way to wet a line

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Thanks WG. I've never fished it, thinking about hiking that way to wet a line
i would wait, access is difficult too. i'm up at the northend , plenty of ice there. i'll work my way down lake as conditions permit

Offline baitemin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:45 PM »
I agree..I would normally put in at ahern or sanbornton side, pot island area. It is a long way up and back with sketchy ice conditions  :-\.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:39 PM »
if you need to get on , stay in the shallows around ahern , better only to get wet than submerge

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.