Author Topic: silver lake  (Read 814 times)

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
silver lake
« on: Jan 20, 2012, 04:29 PM »
decided to scout/get out an look at a local lake to see what the conditions were like, by the boat launch was still little bit soft at the edges and i could feel it cracking when i stepped out. By the spillway was a different story as i saw somebody had  fished there today as about 10 holes were punched and tracks were everywhere.  i walked to the first hole [no tape meas.] and looked like 3in. not enough for me to venture any farther esp alone an no picks etc. maybe tom afternoon or if i see people out there fishing. 

Offline JohnnyJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: silver lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:34 PM »
I almost went there today, but wound up scouting black pond in meriden.
You can always stick your finger down an open whole.

BP was 4" abiut 10 ft out another 10 ft past that it seemed only about 2 1/2.   ::)
Bite on my line
The man known as JohnS

Offline Coondog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:17 PM »
I went by Silver today around 2:30 and there were two guys fishing in that area you mentioned.  What's funny is that area they were fishing is traditionally the last place on that lake to freeze up solid.  It was scary seeing the two of them out there knowing that.  There was no one else on the lake but I was going to try to hit the right side off the launch tomorrow afternoon or early Sunday morning.  Be safe.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:51 AM »
yeah, even when i know its safe i dont get to close down there because of the spillway mayb ill see later this afternoon or tom morn as i was  thinkin the same, be safe and gd lk

Offline dmhawks93

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2012, 10:44 AM »
I almost went there today, but wound up scouting black pond in meriden.
You can always stick your finger down an open whole.

BP was 4" abiut 10 ft out another 10 ft past that it seemed only about 2 1/2.   ::)

i walked out on black pond around 1,  only went out about 40-50 ft or so right off the ramp. didnt have anything with my n didnt feel safe enough to go any farther,  you probably saw my tracks in the snow going out.
i fish because i can

Offline pikePERSUADER1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Northern Pike- all other fish are bait
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Guys, that was me and a friend fishing there, Ive been prescouting it for a few weeks and i knew where the ''good'' ice was, I DO NOT RECOMMEND  FISHING THERE YET!!! Give it a few days and it will be alot safer, 2.5-3.5 where I was, 1 inch in other areas!!! :o :o :o We were kind of expecting someone to try to walk out because they saw us, and if you tried going off the launch you will be taking a swim! p.s. with the new snow cover there will be NO way of telling what your about to walk onto!!!BE CAREFUL! @)

Offline Coondog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Pike, I was going to  stop and go down to see how you guys were doing but I had on dress shoes and slacks and didn't want to muck them up.  Glad you guys were safe.  Did you have any success?

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:22 PM »
Dude-"good ice" sorry what i was standing on i would not consider good/safe ice esp. by the spillway,im not preaching and im sure youll defend yourself but safety is the main concern and unless you are 100lbs soaking wet no fish is worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.