Author Topic: Has anyone tried a small motorcycle for pulling?  (Read 4037 times)

Offline KIMMER

• IceShanty Rookie
Has anyone tried a small motorcycle for pulling?
« on: Jan 20, 2012, 12:46 PM »
Just curious if anyone has ever tried a small 90cc motorcycle for pulling their stuff on the ice?  Could stud the tires and the fact they are narrow, seems like it would cut through the snow well.  Anyone ever give it a try?  I really don't want to take my polaris ranger crew out on the ice, so I was thinking of something light to throw in the back of the truck and still have room to put the shanty in.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Has anyone tried a small motorcycle for pulling?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2012, 03:08 PM »
ive seen a two wheel drive rokon? motorcycle with chains and a tow setup, the tow setup needs to drop down low. i see steering issues with a small motorcycle towing

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Don't know, ask the lawn mower guys.   :o
Chris Raymond

luv2fish2

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2012, 05:03 PM »
i thought those little cheap mini bikes would be good easy to load and unload not a lotta room to haul  nbo cooling problems just couldn't use if snow got to deep

Offline KIMMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2012, 01:35 PM »
i thought those little cheap mini bikes would be good easy to load and unload not a lotta room to haul  nbo cooling problems just couldn't use if snow got to deep

That's kinda what I was thinking.  I'll probably just end up buying a small trailer and looking for a honda big red 3 wheeler or honda 250sx 3 wheeler. 

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2012, 01:42 PM »
That's kinda what I was thinking.  I'll probably just end up buying a small trailer and looking for a honda big red 3 wheeler or honda 250sx 3 wheeler.

Just a little bit of advice. If you cannot find a Honda 3 wheeler, try not to buy the Yamahas, since they are very light in the front end which makes them great for doing wheelies and I can only imagine how fast the front would come up when trying to tow something.

Matt

Offline KIMMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:07 PM »
Just a little bit of advice. If you cannot find a Honda 3 wheeler, try not to buy the Yamahas, since they are very light in the front end which makes them great for doing wheelies and I can only imagine how fast the front would come up when trying to tow something.

Matt

Yep, completely agree!  I go down to trikefest in Laurel, Indiana every summer at Haspin Acres.  I've been going 9 years so far and have a great time!  It's put on by www.3wheelerworld.com but their site got hacked and is currently down.  Hopefully Billy gets it back up and going soon.  I should have kept my old 250sx that was sold a few years ago, now I find myself looking for another...lol

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:29 PM »
If a 90 is enough to pull you and your gear around then should be fine. Stud tires, figure out tow hitch to axle bolt I would guess and go. Dirt bikes go through snow/on ice great with the right tires, plus you could tool around on it all day if the action was slow!

Offline KIMMER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:59 PM »
I ended up picking up a good running 85 Honda 250ES 3 Wheeler.  Grabbed it up for $800 and put $200 in parts into it to make it look pretty..lol.  It basically needed a new front fender, rear brake pads, new rear brake cables, fork boots, and a new rear brake lever.  Runs excellent and everything works well.  I'll probably just look for a set of chains on the rear tires.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:39 AM »
If the rear tires have decent tread I suggest using screw in ice studs.  Get the good ones, they work better than hex screws - they're hardened and have sharp biting edges.  itp mud lite or similar tread tires work good  because they have an almost continuous center bar that always contacts and then the paddle like bars on the side.  Get the largest tire size you can fit! 

Offline yukon_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2012, 01:11 AM »
I rode a motorcycle for the first time in my life last spring, a Kawasaki KLX140. There was to much snow to ride it on land so I hit the lake and was soon dragging teenagers around in a sled. The bike had now special equipment and I got very good at making no sudden moves and got used to just accepting I wasn't always going in the direction I was pointed in. It was a HOOT!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.