Author Topic: Equinox FishInn Retreat (popup) Shelter  (Read 12645 times)

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Equinox FishInn Retreat (popup) Shelter
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Does anyone have one of these shelters?  How do they like it? 

Offline M B jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Equinox FishInn Retreat (popup) Shelter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Got one 2 weeks ago.  I went out on Sunday, and the wind was ridiculous.  Kept us warm!  Windows are removable.  Bright orange so its visible during a storm.  Set it up with the narrow side into the wind and just tied the one side to the truck running board instead of pegging it in the ice.  2 very nice sized vents.  Comes with extra windows in case they crack.  Easy to set up.  325 with taxes and delivery from costco.  However I believe Metro Trailers is selling them for $249.  Last I heard they were out of them and taking rein checks.
Also costco has the kingfisher 6 at their stores right now for 260.  My cousin bought that one last week and we were both set up on the windy lake sunday.  Same quality. 
Hope this helps
The fishing was good, it was the catching that was bad.

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Fatfish 9416. Buddy just went to pick one up. Online says $499.99. Came up at the till $399.99

Offline tufffgong

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:05 AM »
i got one for christmas, ive only used it once but im pretty happy with it especially for the price. although the first corner i anchored down ripped the loop off the tent, it was a really windy day and it didnt happen after that, i did take that one back to costco for a new one. its comparable to the old eskimo's, as the new eskimos have a solid black liner as opposed to the spray in one which the fish-inn has. it is kinda nice to have something a little different, i was the only orange tent visable on lake winnipeg the other wknd which makes it nice if people are meeting you on the ice. seems to be a good tent and you cant beat costcos return policy. hope this helps
A bad day of fishin beats a good day of anything else

Offline M B jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:11 AM »
i got one for christmas, ive only used it once but im pretty happy with it especially for the price. although the first corner i anchored down ripped the loop off the tent, it was a really windy day and it didnt happen after that, i did take that one back to costco for a new one. its comparable to the old eskimo's, as the new eskimos have a solid black liner as opposed to the spray in one which the fish-inn has. it is kinda nice to have something a little different, i was the only orange tent visable on lake winnipeg the other wknd which makes it nice if people are meeting you on the ice. seems to be a good tent and you cant beat costcos return policy. hope this helps
Couldn't agree more.  Great value really.  I brought my friend out for the first time last weekend.  He was hooked.  Got the fatfish 9416 for a "more sociable fishing experience" lol.  399.99 at cabelas.  There were 3 in the fish inn over the weekend.  Each had 2 holes, lawn chairs instead of buckets, a stereo, and a heater.  Could have had one more comfortably, and 2 more squeezed with a hole each.  Hope this helps you out!  Id get the kingfisher 6 though as you save 40 bucks and the only noticeable difference was the red vs. orange.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:55 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Yeh, you definitely can't beat Costco's return policy.  I'm somewhat leery of the "spray on" black liner, but for the price.....

M B jr. are you talking about the 4 to 6 man tent for $299?  I see that's what Costco is selling them for.  The 2-3 man is $179.  I went on Metro's website and they want $210 for the 2-3 man and $349 for the 4-6 man.  Was $249 a sale?

I am looking at a FatFish as well.  I have an old Eskimo Traveler that's ok for just me and low winds.  No way I could set up last Sunday.  I want something for higher winds and something I can use with the kids.  The small Equinox pop-up (2 to 3 man) might be too small for all of us, but the 4 to 6 man would probably too big!  An Eskimo 949 might be perfect.

Offline M B jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Yeah I got the Ice Inn 4-6 man.  The spray on on the inside isn't a big deal.  There are a few places upon drying where it cracked but in the wind it stood up like a brick craphouse.  And it was REAL windy.  I did order it for $299 @ costco online.  Delivered to my door 3 days later.  HOWEVER they are selling the kingfish 6 @ the stores (kenaston anyhow) for $260.  Same quality, just different color.  The fatfish is great, but for the price of the kingfish 6, I'd go with that one to have more room for the kids, (and yourself). 
As for the price at metro trailers, give them a call to see whats up.  The 4-6 man WAS on SALE for $249 a week ago, however that may have changed.

Offline scanner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • still trying to catch a bigger one
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:19 AM »
I picked one up at Costco last week (kingfisher 6) and am happy with it for the price...

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:28 AM »
Fatfish 9416. Buddy just went to pick one up. Online says $499.99. Came up at the till $399.99

Where was this?
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline M B jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:34 AM »
Cabela's.  The website says $399.99 tho and it IS $399.99.  And they DO have some in stock, although it says they don't.
http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&section=1188&section2=1676&ID=33886

Offline tufffgong

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:46 AM »
The spray in liner is alright I've actually heard of guys goin to ackland granger an buying cans of that spray in liner to fill in pinholes. I wouldn't go that far, but one piece of advice for people buying shelters with spray in liners would be to take it out of the bag inside your house and open your shack as the liner sticks together due to packing, I did this and had very little peeling. I fear if you did this for the first time outside with a frozen tent your liner would be pooched.
A bad day of fishin beats a good day of anything else

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2012, 02:01 PM »
Just something to think about when buying a shack. I had 2 poles kinda splinter in my new Eskimo 9416, just got off phone with Eskimo and ill have 2 new poles sent out in a week, no questions asked! Now some of you will say they shouldn't break in the first place, which I agree with but in my eyes crap happens to everything. Its how its dealt with that means alot!

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:47 PM »
Its how its dealt with that means alot!

Couldn't agree more.
Good customer service is getting harder and harder to come by!

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:45 PM »
Just something to think about when buying a shack. I had 2 poles kinda splinter in my new Eskimo 9416, just got off phone with Eskimo and ill have 2 new poles sent out in a week, no questions asked! Now some of you will say they shouldn't break in the first place, which I agree with but in my eyes crap happens to everything. Its how its dealt with that means alot!
I have had the same experience with Eskimo, I have the same tent and the bag had a tear in it, contacted Eskimo, a new one is in the mail.  These days company's need to be really good with costumer service, word travels fast on the net!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:15 PM »
As for the price at metro trailers, give them a call to see whats up.  The 4-6 man WAS on SALE for $249 a week ago, however that may have changed.

ok, I'll give them a shout and see whats up

I see Cabelas is selling the Quickfish 6 for $319.  I checked one out in the store and its huge - more than I need, but I guess you never have too much room.

Offline ScallyCat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:47 PM »
If your looking for a tent that is not as big as the 6 man and you the means of getting stuff from the USA Glens Outdoors is selling the FatFish for $139.95

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Thats a pretty good price for the Fatfish 767, but I think I would opt for the FF 949.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.