The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Decoy preferences  (Read 939 times)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Decoy preferences
« on: Jan 15, 2012, 04:34 PM »
I understand this has a lot to do with your geography and type of forage fish. I normally either fish with a 10" red/white carp or a 10" pike in clown color. Both have worked equally well in all conditions.

Here's the question. In these three situations what color choices have worked better than others for you?

Murky water?
Clear water?
Glare ice?
Thin layer of snow?
Thick layer of snow?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Re: Decoy preferences
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Thanks a bunch. I will put it to the test this season.

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Most of the time I use a big, live chub, regardless of ice, snow, or water clarity.  I've had great luck.

I do use a spoon inline, with hooks removed to weight my minnow.  Provides extra flash.

I also like to jig a firetiger spoon tipped with a big minnow.  I use this to rustle up some fun when things are slow, or mess with short fish when they are in the hole.

For fakes, red and white is tough to beat.  If my live chub isn't working, I'll raise it up and swim the fake.  A lot of time I'll swim both, with the fake being the low deke, and the live minnow being the higher one.

I think weather and pressure has more to do with how fish react more than anything.  Seems my best days are before a warm front. 

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:24 PM »
completely agree with the warmfront. I like bluebird sunny days with no mild or no wind. The lake I fish is terribly stained year round, but holds some piggy pike.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:24 AM »
I like the spoon idea, I,ve done it on tips-up, but didn't think to try it for live decoys.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.