Author Topic: What style of hook?  (Read 908 times)

Offline Junior.

• IceShanty Rookie
What style of hook?
« on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:46 AM »
I'm starting to get more and more into using tip-ups.  Around here we catch mostly Northern and Bass. 

Currently I have all of my tip-ups setup with treble hooks. 

What are your guys opinions on the best style of hooks to use in my situation?
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Offline war eagle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What style of hook?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2012, 01:03 PM »
maybe I can learn something new here too. When I was first learning how to ice fish by the local old timers they always said to use long shanked hooks so that's what I've been doing for the last 30 years. Seems to work fine but I'm open to suggestions.

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2012, 02:51 PM »
I'm a longtime fan of just a regular j style bait hook but lately I have been using a single treble.  I've never really liked quick strike rigs unless your using a sucker 12" or bigger.  With the single treble I don't let them take it as long as a j hook and its working for me on both Pike and Walleye.  I make my own rigs using 10 20 or 30 lb steel leader material and use crimping sleeves to attach a swivel on top and hook on the bottom.  check your fishing regs though some states make you add a small blade to a rig like this in order to be legal.
“I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" - Sir Izaak Walton

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:10 PM »
I am a big fan of the octopus style or Mosquito  hook styles size 12 for trout all the way to size 2 for bass and bigger fish. Got a large assortment of colors too not so sure that matter though.

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:21 PM »
  I use Owner circle hooks for all my fishing. I've had great results while using these. I also prefer red colored hooks and use blades & beads on some of my rigs as well.

Offline Icefish4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Quick-strike rigs (consisting of flourocarbon leader and two treble hooks)

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2012, 10:41 PM »
I either run treble hooks or circle hooks.  I have switched most of my tip ups to circle hooks because I believe you get a better hook set in the corner of the fishes mouth and sometimes trebles can be a little hard on the fish especially if they start to swallow it.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:44 AM »
I match the hook to the bait size I'm using.  Large chubs and jumbo roaches for pike, a #4 or #6 treble hook.  Medium to small roaches or small suckers for pike and eyes, I'll use a #8 treble.  Small emeralds or rosie reds for eyes and perch/crappies I like to use a #8 octopus style hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.