Author Topic: mule deer jerky  (Read 989 times)

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
mule deer jerky
« on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:23 AM »
I want to make some jerky.  I've got one of those caulking gun  type things that you put the ground meat into to make the strips, and i was wondering if anyone has any good recipes for this method, and if this method works for both smokers and ovens?
Still counting.....

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: mule deer jerky
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:13 AM »
I use a 50/50 mix of soy sauce and terriaki sauce with a couple good dashes of franks hotsauce and fresh ground coarse black pepper. Very simple and tastes good. I let meat soak in this overnight in ziplock bag in fridge. I only use burger for kids and elderly family members cause I like it so much better when done from 1/8 slices of meat. No mule deer here but I use it on beef and venison. I use dehydrator too, But see no reason a smoker or oven would not work.  Enjoy and experiment with spices. You will find something you like.   Steve

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:14 AM »
I myself don't like the texture of the jerky shooter,but that just me. I like the old school 1/8 inch cut meat,marinate then put in the  dehydrator,till it bends not brittle.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:35 PM »
I have used the jerky shooter with seasoning kits from "High Mountain", good but I do prefer traditional jerky strips. The shooter jerky is good but eats too fast......

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:45 PM »
www.lemproducts.com/product/3768/jerky_makers_accessories

Try this stuff, I have been using it on stinky rutting buck meat for years. Cure is included, turns out perfect every time. If you don't have a dehydrator, you may want to pick one up. The oven method is OK, but ends up tasting like burnt meat loaf IMO. ;D

Nesco makes several units that work really great for not very much money. Here is a link to one, fleet farm carries several other models too.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/housewares/food-preservation/dehydrators/nesco-snackmaster-pro-food-dehydrator-fd-75pr

If you search, I think mills carries the LEM seasoning too.

Edit... Yep, they do.. http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/housewares/food-preservation/food-processing/lem-backwoods-jerky-seasoning

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.