The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Guernsey res?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
Guernsey res?
« on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:38 PM »
has anyone been to guernsey this year or have heard what the ice is like? if there is any.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Guernsey res?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:24 PM »
If you're talking about the Guernsey Reservoir, it's about empty for the most part. Most of it was drained off and shipped to Nebraska. The Platte has a little ice on in in the canyon, but is running water for the most part. It's way down too. I go by it twice every couple of days.

Offline pkandrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:43 AM »
whats in guernsey all I have herd that there was just carp in there

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:47 AM »
If you're talking about the Guernsey Reservoir, it's about empty for the most part. Most of it was drained off and shipped to Nebraska. The Platte has a little ice on in in the canyon, but is running water for the most part. It's way down too. I go by it twice every couple of days.
thanks for the info!
whats in guernsey all I have herd that there was just carp in there
you know andrew if i had a pewter colored truck i would say that too! ;D
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline pkandrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:09 PM »
well whats in there

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:20 PM »
Not sure about winter but in the summer it's loaded with chubby girls in bikinis and beer bellies covered with hair :o

There is basically no bottom structure outside of the river channel running through it, no weeds to speak of and pretty much a mud hole when the water is let out. I'd rather go into the public access area in the canyon and walk up a ways and fish the deeper pools.

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Not sure about winter but in the summer it's loaded with chubby girls in bikinis and beer bellies covered with hair :o
:o now thats a party ;) i dont know if i have ever fished there but i thought ive heard guys catch some ok perch a few years ago but i might be wrong

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:19 PM »
I fly fish with threaded night crawler halves in the spring. Never will you find more action from big fish in wyoming. Where the river runs into the lake I have had good luck pitching rapalas for large rainbows and browns.

Offline pkandrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:05 PM »
that is really good info

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:09 PM »
I fly fish with threaded night crawler halves in the spring. Never will you find more action from big fish in wyoming. Where the river runs into the lake I have had good luck pitching rapalas for large rainbows and browns.

Sorry I meant to say those big fish were all carp in shallow bays. Best time is when the lake is rising.

Offline 13tjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Anyone been by guernsey ? Wondering if there is ice below the lake. Thinking about going over there this weekend sometime. Thanks

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:30 AM »
Unless you have an artic scuba suit it would not be a great idea to fish near Guernsey right now. There is a little ice in a few places but is well beyond sketchy. Plan on coming back next year. Hate to be that guy, but I did not want to c anyone going in on account of lacking info.

Offline 13tjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2012, 01:07 PM »
Thanks Icefishur03. do you know what the ice is like below guernsey by the dam?

TYLERFEEZER

« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:27 PM »
I like to just throw in a full nightcrawler in the summer and get ready for a great fight with a carp. I've always wondered if there are some elusive eyes down from Glendo in there though...

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:09 PM »
Thanks Icefishur03. do you know what the ice is like below guernsey by the dam?

Not sure but it aint that good. I know the lady who lives down there and she says it has opened a lot in the past few days. I will check in the next dayor two for a fishin hole. If the main one aint froze then there is always next year. ;D

Offline 13tjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Ok, thanks Icefishur03

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:59 AM »
I rode a few sections of river yesterday checking for ice. 98% of the river is a no go. However, I still have 5 dozen minnows to burn so I will try today somewheres!

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:16 PM »
Spent two hours on the ice after leaving work early. A dozen walleye to show for my efforts in the blowing snow. Only two were dinks! I even let em all go today since the fish were so kind to visit ;D

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:49 PM »
A fellow at work has been picking up 'eyes out of the river within walking distance of town. Packs'em home  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.