Author Topic: Lets talk low and high presssure.  (Read 3831 times)

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lets talk low and high presssure.
« on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:38 AM »
I think one of these years I am going to print what is written so I don't forget.

I am going to keep a journal again this year of my fishing outings and I want to ad what the pressure is doing and see for myself if there is any correlation between low and high pressure and the number of fish I catch.

Can someone with the knowledge give us (who are interested) in the breakdown of pressure and fishing, it's ok to treat us (or me) like I am a dumby as I want as much info as possible.  Like I said I will keep a journal of the entire season and post what I find out.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lets talk low and high presssure.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:42 AM »
I too intend on keeping a journal this year to try to identify less obvious patterns (i.e. barometer).  There was a great post about this recently, but I can't seem to find it...can someone link it here?

I definately think changes in the barometer are key to patterning fish...in the summer is seems sustained high pressure was good for the bite, as was a sustained high pressure with a coming transition to low/storm.  The day before a long high-pressure streak ended seemed most productive.
Tight lines

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Well gents, load yer printer and get ready for some fine readin' and learnin'.       ;)2 :thumbsup:

http://www.lake-link.com/info/barometric_pressure.cfm

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:39 PM »
I too intend on keeping a journal this year to try to identify less obvious patterns (i.e. barometer).  There was a great post about this recently, but I can't seem to find it...can someone link it here?

I posted this a while back...was this it?
PS....Great post, 'gator.

Rebelss
Team IceShanty Maniac

Inventor of "Minnow Magic" F.O.E.A.O.

Re: Fish to the Wind?

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:35 PM »

This has to do with the barometer, which does affect how fish behave in relation to the bite. Many, many, articles written on this.
"When the wind is from the west, the fish bite the best, wind from the east, fish bite the least, wind from the south, blows the bait in the fishes mouth, wind from the north, the fisherman goes not forth".
A westerly wind usually ushers in a high pressure system which usually means clear, sunny, weather with a steady or rising barometer. A south wind usually brings in a warm front, with steady barometric pressures. An east wind brings in low pressure weather system in the form of rain or storms, with a falling barometer. A north wind brings in a front, usually a cold front, with a steady or slightly falling barometer and temps...from memory.
The best bite appears to be during a drop or rise in pressure; ie;immediately preceding or following  a front.
I've followed these all my life; I find they're true, during the summer I follow them, and will no longer go out with a north or east wind...kept track for years, and that's when I got skunked. In winter on ice, I just watch the barometer....

Report to moderator   97.86.242.13

G.P.                               

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:56 PM »
I've never been a believer in the actual pressure affecting the fish, mostly because fish swimming thru the water would encounter more pressure change by changing depth a foot or two than any air pressure would, just think about diving under water what happens to your ears - you can notice this in 8 or 10 feet, but now in a plane or driving down into a valley you have to travel a lot more feet for the same/similar effect with air pressure.

That said, I am a huge believer in changing light levels affecting fish activity, and often when the pressure is changing so is the light levels.  If the pressure is dropping its usually getting cloudy/darker, if its rising its usually a system on its way out and getting brighter again.  I believe this is the real reason for change in fish behavior in relation to changing barometric pressure, not the actual pressure itself.  With these changes it also means changes in wind direction to, something else to consider but alot more for open water vs hardwater.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:15 AM »
Keeping a journal will be your best tool for unlocking the predictability of a bite. I kept one for about ten years and patterns do show their face as you go. With the barometer I did indeed for that there was some corelation with a moving barometer to a good bite. After I had this journal a while I really started putting in more detail with weather, moon phase, when other animals seem to be more active, along with the detail of what goes on on and under the surface of the waters I fished. You will soon know the best days to bring along your picnic gear when you know it'll be a great day on the ice with a predictably slow bite. You'll also know that some lakes may offer a better bite when others don't when weather conditions are perfect.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:32 PM »
I like the Weather Underground footer many of you use on your posts that shows realtime conditions on your home locations. I wonder if we could persuade them to include the current barometric pressure and maybe an arrow indicator to show if it is rising or falling. That would be slick.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:53 AM »
dropping pressure in canada,(lake simcoe)the fishing was slow very light bite and not alot of fish caught.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:01 AM »
My blood pressure is down to a reasonable level after taking my pills for 6 months. Oh wait you meant air pressure. Yes I like anything from 29.65-30.92

The other I like 120 over 80 or less. :icefish:
<===Lefty===

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:01 AM »
lefty2053 - LMAO!!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Well gents, load yer printer and get ready for some fine readin' and learnin'.       ;)2 :thumbsup:

well done and a big T H A N K S .

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2012, 09:30 AM »
I seem to find fishing on an incoming front increases the bite, and the agressiveness. I find stable conditions unpredictable. Leaving fronts, less bites. A lot of other factors play into this as well for me.

I do believe there is something at work here.
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2012, 03:23 PM »
dropping pressure in canada,(lake simcoe)the fishing was slow very light bite and not alot of fish caught.
Pressure : 100.75 kPa 
the pressure today was rising and the fishing was good,a little windy but a good bite.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Great stuff...I learned a lot of stuff I already knew, but that just put it in perspective :afro:
AW

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:40 PM »
I have no doubt that barometric pressure has a profound effect on fish activity. My first (only) trip out this year was just as a cold front high was blowing it. My least favorite time to ice fish but you have to go when you can sometimes. The fish were biting light and very spooky; I put together a nice catch but had to work harder than I ever had before on that lake. My favorite time to go is just in front of an advancing low. Of course getting back home can be problematic if it snows heavily. I'll still risk it most times. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.