Author Topic: Western Slope/Vega  (Read 608 times)

Offline killermike

• IceShanty Rookie
Western Slope/Vega
« on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:11 PM »
Just moved out to Grand Junction lookin for some help.  I have read and read ton of old posts from Vega on here and articles on icing Trout through the trout forum.  I try to help myself before i go asking for it.  I'm from Iowa and always just ice fished blue gill and crappie on ponds.  The task of learning a new water and it being about 10 times the size of the small bodies of water I'm used to is a little daunting.  I have fished Vega 4-5 times and have caught a handful of 11-12"ers.  I have avoided the most of the people by the dam and fished around the island and other areas along the North side.  I have used night crawlers and waxies on small jigs.  Is there something better to be using?  I'm going to try a sweedish pimple this weekend.  Is there a better area?  such as joining the crowd by the dam?  Is there a better lake within 2 hrs to fish?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Western Slope/Vega
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:52 AM »
If you use a Swedish Pimple, try to get a Hammered Copper color. Gold Lures of any kind works as well. Tip them with a Wax or Meal worm.

If you go to the Island area. Go out to the right side of the boat ramp at a 45 degree angle. Find 30 FOW and then work it and in towards the shore until you get to 12 FOW.  Even when your in the 30 FOW try dropping down to just 12 FT. Drop it down and let it sit for a few seconds and then raise it up a foot. Then start jigging a couple of times and then let it sit again. About 20 seconds between jigs.  Always fish the whole 30 FOW top to bottom until you find where it is best.

I haven't fished the dam area but was told a guy pulled out a 20" over by what they call the flats area.
<===Lefty===

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:18 AM »
Try Rifle Gap for perch-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Ambystoma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Try chartreuse colored tube jigs at Vega with Crawdad Smelly Jelly and tipped with a piece of meal worm.
Anglers stairwell has produced some nice fish for me.  ;) Good luck!

Offline killermike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:33 PM »
I will have to try that spot off the island and to the right of the boat ramp.  I saw a couple guys fishing there last saturday and then about 30 dads and kids came and over took them so i just went around to the other side.

Offline killermike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:34 PM »
I tired off the anglers and got a big zippo last friday afternoon.  What depth should i be looking for?  I didnt mark a fish in the several holes i drilled.

Offline Ambystoma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:09 AM »
From the Bottom of stairwell I will go NE along the shore until I get close to the mouth of the bay and  fish the edge of the weed line in about 18' of water. The fish move around a lot up there so you may not mark anything at first.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.