Do you change tactics when you see fish on your flasher

Yes
9 (64.3%)
No
0 (0%)
Maybe
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: POLL: Tactic / Movement Change when fish approach?  (Read 717 times)

Offline Silas

• IceShanty Rookie
POLL: Tactic / Movement Change when fish approach?
« on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:48 PM »
Do you change Tactics / Movement when you see a fish on your Flasher / Fish Finder?

If YES, how so?  (and is it successful?)

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
Re: POLL: Tactic / Movement Change when fish approach?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:53 AM »
If i'm jigging near the bottom imn 60'FOW and see a laker come in at 20' feet you bet i change tactics....lol...i reel up to 20'! Another obvious tactic change a fishfinder allows is realising you have drilled a hole over zero fish!

Otherwise i would say i continue doing what i am doing as that might be what attracted the fish in the first place....i find the fish  is usuallyin one of 2 moods....wanting a subtle or no movement presentation....or you have to trigger a bite with aggressive movement, just my observations. Sometimes its a combination of factors you need to change to get a bite, including lure,bait,line visibility etc. But one thing is for sure...i would say ...for me at least.....having a fisfinder makes changing tactics a lot easier and more successful.

Good post!
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:46 AM »
I tried a flasher for the first time last weekend...and boy I was missing out before.  I sure do change tactics when I see a fish come in - similar to what vicious said (depth change, observer reaction to either dead stick or jigging)...but mostly I use this info (mark fish with strike or no strike) to tell me if they like the presentation I'm using.  If I get a bunch of lookers, but no takers I'll change accordingly.

Flashers are a game changer for me!
Tight lines

Offline musky mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:00 AM »
i usually jig a bit aggressive till i mark a fish... then slow it down a bit so if/when it hits it wont miss the lure...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:05 AM »
really depends on the type of fish I'm targeting and the fish's mood at the moment, it can be different from fish to fish...let the fish's' mood dictate your actions.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Kind of off topic but... Other day jigging in hut.  Had a looker and so I dropped jig into the mud and kicked up a cloud of slit,,,,WHAMO!! Fish slams at lure but missed it,,,,, so I jig it a bit and nothing.   So I hit hit the mud again and ,,,,WHAMO!! A 1.5 lb bass slams and hits the lure.  It was interesting.  Ø

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:01 AM »
Kind of off topic but... Other day jigging in hut.  Had a looker and so I dropped jig into the mud and kicked up a cloud of slit,,,,WHAMO!! Fish slams at lure but missed it,,,,, so I jig it a bit and nothing.   So I hit hit the mud again and ,,,,WHAMO!! A 1.5 lb bass slams and hits the lure.  It was interesting.  Ø

great tip, works for all fish at some times.   It is one of my favorite moves to bring in Lakers and to call in perch that are feeding on bloodworms.

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:02 PM »
I like to work my presentation aggressively on my first drop and work the bottom 4-5ft of the water column quickly, watching my flasher to see if I can call in any big biters. Usually I'm chasing panniers, but I do the they same for walleye when on the BOQ. I try to keep doing what brings the fish in. Sometimes when there is lots of fish around I won't watch my flasher and just concentrate on doing whats been working so I don't overreact!! ;)

Offline Silas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:54 PM »
I know I sometimes get excited when I see a fish (especially when it has been a while) and I try to watch myself so that I don't change my motion as they sometimes leave right away when they see a change.

Offline dwc67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:12 PM »
when i mark fish i always start to raise the lure using around the same jigging motion. i find fish get aggressive if they have to chase an "escaping" prey. i have had whitefish come up 60ft before they hit.

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:15 PM »
If I am in deep and I see a fish, say 40 feet above my bait, I will fairly rapidly bring my bait to within 10' of the depth and then slowly jig up and just through the target depth. Then I will jig slowly down into the zone.
I do this for a minute or two in that zone and if I don't get any action I go back to whatever I was doing before. I especially use this tactic on whitefish. They tend to move up or down only a few feet either way in my experience. Trout will go 20 or 40 feet when they notice then follow my bait. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.