The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike?????  (Read 1806 times)

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike?????
« on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Hey all, where would be the closest place to Casper for Northerns besides Keyhole? With a good chance of catching one?

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pike?????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:35 PM »
What lakes even have pike in them in Wyoming?
Don

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I know Keyhole does.... I know LAK by Newcastle and Grayrocks has or had Musky? A Musky would be ok too!!!! Anywhere else? Thinking might have to go to Nebraska....

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:51 PM »
I hear very mixed opinions on the musky in grayrocks as to wether they are still in there or all have been caught or died off.
Don

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:54 PM »
I have never fished Grayrocks or LAK,might have to check it out sometime!!!!!

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:55 PM »
It is not in wyoming but Box Butte reservoir in Nebraska has pike in it. The only places in Wyoming that i know of that have pike have already been mentioned and that is Keyhole and LAK. I am not sure if Grayrocks still have musky in it though. They only stocked a few and that was a while back.

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Thanks Big Al... Thats what I was thinking Box Butte... They seem to catch quit a few outta there!!!!

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:58 PM »
If you need any guidance just pm me i would be more than happy to help out.

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:03 PM »
If you need any guidance just pm me i would be more than happy to help out.

Thanks Big Al

Offline GonefishingWy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Tongue River Reservoir N. of Sheridan has northern they seem to catch a bunch out there. It is in Mt. though.

Offline jtjjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:52 PM »
I am heading to Boxbutte Friday.  I will give you an update...

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:46 AM »
What lakes even have pike in them in Wyoming?
The only water in Wyoming with pike is Keyhole. We stock about 160,000 pike a year (little fingerlings). Tiger musky has been an issue of late. A disease called viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS) has become an issue east of the Mississippi and there is a moratorium on bringing fish from east to west b/c of the possibilities of bringing VHS to WY (WY's source of tiger musky was Pennsylvania). Other states are supposedly working on developing brood stocks of their own and hopefully someday WY will be able to get a few again. The last stocking of tiger musky is WY was LAK Reservoir in 2006, Grayrocks in 1991, and Festo in 2004.
Hope this helps

Offline Ize

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Please! we don't need any slimy Jacks!
If ya dont find em at least you can eat ur minnows!

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:31 PM »
Aren't there some in Oliver (over by Pine Bluffs)?  There are also some in my buddies private lake in SE Wyoming, but that's just for us, sorry. ;D.  As for GreyRocks, it has been about 9 or 10 years since the last time I heard of any getting caught, and I've only ever seen the existance of two in my 25+ years fishing it.  One my buddy caught in '96 trolling a worm harness for eyes and one skull on the bank in about '92.

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:35 PM »
stagecoach in steamboat has some huge gators.  Not all that close to casper but could be worth the drive.

Offline jtjjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:57 PM »
Monarch, why are you not heading to Boxbutte with me tomorrow...you could take the day off...heard they are drilling the northerns.  We thought we would give it a try..I will send you some pics.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:12 AM »
well if it would ever get to be winter in Mt Ft Peck is a realllly good place to chase big o northerns. Its about 7 hrs from casper roughly but worth every mile  ;D I live in Gillette and I dont go chase the dead sea for anything its a waste of time and money I think. here is a website that may inerest you www.hellcreekmarina.co m take a look see  :tipup:
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2012, 05:42 PM »
Monarch, why are you not heading to Boxbutte with me tomorrow...you could take the day off...heard they are drilling the northerns.  We thought we would give it a try..I will send you some pics.

Because I'm just now reading this at 4:46 on 1/13..... and Remi's B-day is the 14th.  Hope you are catching them!

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:38 PM »
Thanks for all the reply's guys, I think I am gonna plan a trip to Box Butte someday!!!!!

Offline jtjjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:36 PM »
D...monarch..just got home from fishing boxbutte...first good ice 10 inches.  Second plenty of pike...matter of fact it is hard to catch anything else and to keep them off the lines.. I was jigging with a spoon tipped with a minnow at the bottom and had northerns on the line...nothing huge biggest was 29 inches but majority 24....heading to smith lake Sunday for pearch hope we can keep the northerns off the hook.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:20 AM »
 Would you guys happen to know what non resident fishn license sells for adult and youth

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:44 AM »
The costs are here http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishing/guides/fishguide/fishguide.asp
Buying the licence is here you just fill it out print it and make sure you sign it https://ngpc-permits.ne.gov/NGPC-PS/faces/public/welcome

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Box butte is great for pike you'll catch many smalls a couple over 30 but if you head anoth hour past box butte to smith wma there's monsters in there just not as many as box butte but at smith you'll slaughter the perch and gills and maybe crappie and last season seen a nice 30" walleye come outta there but box butte you'll have a blast you won't be able to keep the flags down and you can usually pick up large minnows in alliance and the west end is where I've had best luck on the larger northerns hope this helps you as I appreciated the help I got when headed to pathfinder and nailed nice trout

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Thank you for the link big al I appreiate it  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.