The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Slot limit for...  (Read 1377 times)

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Slot limit for...
« on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:43 PM »
I'm sure this has been brought up before but how do people feel about a slot limit for highly pressured fish species on certain bodies of water? Lets hear some suggestions/reasoning behind them.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Re: Slot limit for...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:35 AM »
Yep VT should change the regs on pike too two fish a day. One over ? 38 and one under ? 28 and
we will have an incredible trophy fishery. 

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:51 AM »
in lakes with just pike that would be fine but lakes with a fragile trout population like magog i think they should wipe all the pike out completely!!!!!!! they eat every kinda fish there is and whats worst is the rainbows that head up the orleans river have to go thru the pike bay and they wipe them out! i hate pike gonna kill a few today

aka halfrack23 willoughby lake

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:09 AM »
in lakes with just pike that would be fine but lakes with a fragile trout population like magog i think they should wipe all the pike out completely!!!!!!! they eat every kinda fish there is and whats worst is the rainbows that head up the orleans river have to go thru the pike bay and they wipe them out! i hate pike gonna kill a few today

Typical trout fisherman response  :)  I wish I could use those bows for bait in VT

I don't know what the solution is, but Champlain should have some sort of regulation that protects the pike 30"- 40", b/c thats majority of your breeding population.  With the Y bones it can be tough to get good fillets out of the smaller ones, so maybe only keep one a day within that 30" - 40" range  ???  It is a great pike fishery, but it would be nice to see some more of those 15lb+ fish coming out.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:58 AM »
Typical trout fisherman response  :)  I wish I could use those bows for bait in VT

I don't know what the solution is, but Champlain should have some sort of regulation that protects the pike 30"- 40", b/c thats majority of your breeding population.  With the Y bones it can be tough to get good fillets out of the smaller ones, so maybe only keep one a day within that 30" - 40" range  ???  It is a great pike fishery, but it would be nice to see some more of those 15lb+ fish coming out.

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could go buy a dozen 7inch stockie type trout for pike bait!!! I agree, a slot on pike in VT would make it incredible! I'm am pessimistic though about whether it would really ever happen-

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:53 PM »
I cant wait to go to Magog to fish Pike.  I love catching trout and using em as bait or just throwing them to the seagulls...what? is this wrong?  why should it be any different depending on species.  Killing fish just cause your targeting another is just flat our wrong. 
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline mikefishon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:36 PM »
same as the river 1 pike 28" or better what the heck are you going to do with a 20" pike anyway ??? and how about bass 5 a day is bulls***

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:53 PM »
same as the river 1 pike 28" or better what the heck are you going to do with a 20" pike anyway ??? and how about bass 5 a day is bulls***

I thought I heard they changed this rule this year for the conn river anyway- Not sure- never would keep more than one for the pan

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:05 PM »
I think the slot limit on Carmi for Walleye needs some work.  5 fish a day seems like a lot and with all of the pressure this year it seems to have taken its toll.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:10 PM »
I cant wait to go to Magog to fish Pike.  I love catching trout and using em as bait or just throwing them to the seagulls...what? is this wrong?  why should it be any different depending on species.  Killing fish just cause your targeting another is just flat our wrong.

well said, and it is nice to see people sticking up for the lil slime darts haha they get such a bad rep.. I fish trout also but I tell you what I would rather catch a tophy pike over a trophy trout any day!!!!
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:17 PM »
threw back a fat 7 lb 31 inch female today and kept a 5 lber for supper

Offline northernfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:31 PM »
I would like to see some slot limits for pike, Something like 2 fish between 20-30 and one over 35. 

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Its not a slot limit... But I've always been very interested in what a minimum 15" length on Brown & Rainbow Trout for Bomoseen, Champlain, Dunmore, St. Catherine, Echo, Memphremagog, and other similar bodies of water would do for the population

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:03 AM »
Its not a slot limit... But I've always been very interested in what a minimum 15" length on Brown & Rainbow Trout for Bomoseen, Champlain, Dunmore, St. Catherine, Echo, Memphremagog, and other similar bodies of water would do for the population

Hey you like starting trouble LOL  ...    I am all in favor of slot limits or lower number creel limits to manage any and all of our fish species...   you going out this weekend ?? 
OUR BAIT IS GAURENTEED TO CATCH FISH OR DIE TRYING :-)

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Was talking about this very subject the other day and I have to say I think it would only benefit the fishing.  A lot of coastal states have done slot limits for striped bass and in my opinion has helped increase the numbers of larger fish.

I guess I would need to understand the reproductive cycles of whatever species would be targeted for slot limits.

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Hey you like starting trouble LOL  ...    I am all in favor of slot limits or lower number creel limits to manage any and all of our fish species...   you going out this weekend ??
Ya, I occasionally like to start some trouble  :whistle:
But I do honestly wonder how the trout population would do with a similar type 15" minimum length restriction like they do with salmon... the F&W spends tons of $ on stocking 8" brown & rainbow trout... & why? It should be at-least researched if these bodies of water could build a sustainable population on their own...

Anyways, I'm not sure on this weekend... we are booked on Saturday & it looks cold on Sunday (not for me, but the boys & wife wouldn't do so good...)

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.