Author Topic: New to Denver & Ice Fishing  (Read 1155 times)

Offline EastCoastAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Denver & Ice Fishing
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Hey everyone!

I'm brand spanking new to Denver by way of NYC.  I'm used to salt water fishing in the Atlantic and am excited about doing some fresh water fishing.  I'm wondering if anyone could advise me on some nice spots to try ice fishing that's not too far from Denver/Aurora area.  I've seen a lake on the side of I-70 near Georgetown...is that any good?  I've heard about eleven mile but before I venture out there I want to make sure I like it. 

Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to Denver & Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 04:37 PM »
You should try to tag along with someone to Chatfield. (C-470 & Wadsworth) There are some pretty good trout and its no too far to drive. Once you try ice fishing, you will be hooked. Good luck.

Offline EastCoastAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2012, 12:23 AM »
Hey benon1 - I wish I could've...My schedule is rough this month with family visiting, work and all...Arkansas angler....Chatfield might work.  A buddy of mine is going to try it out with me...I think we're going to go out on the 22nd.  2 questions....Does it usually stay frozen at Chatfield?  And is there a place nearby that rents the tent and auger?  I appreciate the help!  Thanks

Offline hvacpro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2012, 01:44 AM »
Hey benon1 - I wish I could've...My schedule is rough this month with family visiting, work and all...Arkansas angler....Chatfield might work.  A buddy of mine is going to try it out with me...I think we're going to go out on the 22nd.  2 questions....Does it usually stay frozen at Chatfield?  And is there a place nearby that rents the tent and auger?  I appreciate the help!  Thanks

WOW!  What a great business oppritunity...

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:21 AM »
@havcpro... find a space around Chatty or Cherry Creek, stock pile some used ice gear and off you go. You could learn the metro waters and even guide them. $$$ ;) @EastCoastAngler... not sure if anyone rents gear up there. I would try discount tackle on south Sante Fe. If Bob Hix is still there he know plenty about what you need to know. If you and your buddy want to go to Antero or 11 Mile, let me know. I have alot of extra ice gear you could use.

Offline EastCoastAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2012, 04:25 PM »
arkansas, I appreciate the offer!  We're going out tomorrow for the first time, not sure if it's going to be cherry creek, chatfield or georgetown.  Waiting on some ice reports.  If we like and I'm sure we'll be hooked, I'll be in touch about 11 mile!

Offline brian434

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Where's the closest safe ice with fishing hiding under it now that we've had some warmer temps.  I went out to Georgetown the other day.  Roughly 2' of ice but no fish.  Was there a few hours.

Offline jeeper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:58 PM »
I have seen a couple places in Denver/Golden areas that rent ice gear.The one in Golden (can't remember the name SORRY  :'( ) rents single items or complete setups .... even rents Vexilar  ;) !!!

Tight Lines
jeeper

Offline jeeper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Ice Fishing Colorado in Golden........ a bit pricey but I guess if you want to try ice fishing without getting all geared up it would be a good deal. I also heard he has good info to give out when you are there  ;)

Tight Lines
jeeper

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.