Author Topic: yellow perch  (Read 4172 times)

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: yellow perch
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:50 AM »
I understand using 1 or 2 fish for bait .I have used perch eyes and bellies for bait with good success in my home state .And even when you do that to the fish you still have one of the best tasting filets leftover .  But piles left for birds ???  I would think that if it happens long enough all you will have for your kids/ grand-kids  are perch stories . where im from it is also a crime, guess thats why I was in such shock to see it.  Its called wanton waste and carries huge fines and possibly loss of fishing license. I wish I would have been there when the guys left I would have taken the fish for them and had one hell of a fish fry. Dont get me wrong now im not a biologist and there could be to many of them?? Is it published somewhere that its ok to just toss them and leave them??

Offline loudonfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • don't have to ge crazy to ice fish/ but it helps
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:45 AM »
some people keep them on the ice because they are a schooling fish, and they think that if you throw them back the rest of the school will be scared off with them. solution here is to cut a hole a little ways from where you are fishing and let them go there. ::)

surflizard

« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:08 AM »
That excuse doesn't fly, I've caught upwards of 35 to 40 Perch out of the same hole, if you are quick with dropping you bait back down to them, they will keep biting ! the perch and the pikerel in the photo below came out of 2 holes within 3 foot of each other !

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:41 AM »
I try to release my fish in my buddies hole. That way I dont sour mine......it's a stupid game I play. Catch a fish and release it someone else's hole, usually the guy right next to you......try it and watch his face afterwards.

It's all about catch and release for me.

JIGGIN.

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:36 PM »
I try to release my fish in my buddies hole. That way I dont sour mine......it's a stupid game I play. Catch a fish and release it someone else's hole, usually the guy right next to you......try it and watch his face afterwards.

JIGGIN.

:roflmao:

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:31 PM »

JIGGIN.

Pickerel are the only ones I move away and it's not because it will scare anything, It's because I don't want to catch them again...........Still they come back.  I caught one last year 3 times in the same hole after sending it a 100 yards away for release.....savage thing ::)

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:31 AM »
on cape cod masswildlife wants people to remove the perch they catch in some of the trout ponds..in some ponds thet are taking it over.the ponds do produce some bomber perch
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline nhfishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:03 AM »

JIGGIN.

Never heard of this before.  This is possibly one of the best things i heard of.  I have to try it out!!!!!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Never heard of this before.  This is possibly one of the best things i heard of.  I have to try it out!!!!!!

Yeah we have a bunch of stupid things we do to keep the entertainment rolling.....another one is:

If the person set's the hook and gets more than 3 pulls on their line (we use jig sticks, not rods) and they lose the fish, the other folks in the fishing party get to punch that person in the arm (teach him / her a lesson)....cant punch them any where else though. You decide how hard you wanna punch your buddy. I personally like to rock their world. If using a rod, 3 reels on your reel and then it's game on if you miss.

Again it gets boring sometimes fishing for lakers.

JIGGIN.

surflizard

« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:55 AM »
LLT loves the time spent at the Circus as do I, But she does Not Like that Particular rule ! >:D ;)2 :roflmao:

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:01 AM »

JIGGIN.

lmao I may or may not punch my buddy if he did this depending on my mood... good times
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:05 AM »
LLT loves the time spent at the Circus as do I, But she does Not Like that Particular rule ! >:D ;)2 :roflmao:

Nether does CH.....So I just give her a tap.

JIGGIN.

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:17 AM »
I got a 14" perch yesterday and it had a soft plastic lure stuck in its belly. one of those weird looking ones. I think they call 'em creature baits. If they wanted to help the enviroment they wouldn't wage war on lead sinkers; they'd require all soft plastics to be bio-degradable.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:25 AM »
I got a 14" perch yesterday and it had a soft plastic lure stuck in its belly. one of those weird looking ones. I think they call 'em creature baits. If they wanted to help the enviroment they wouldn't wage war on lead sinkers; they'd require all soft plastics to be bio-degradable.

That is crazy and a good size perch congrats... We also found a senko in a rainbows belly before very strange phenominon when they are willing to eat that and not salmon eggs haha...

It is a point about the biodegradeable baits tho
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Good Points SS.  I think that some people actually belive that it is good to feed the eagles, and maybe it is for the eagles, but dummies!....WAKE UP.............What do you think your preciouse game fish eat?  Take the Yellows out and the rest of the fishery get hungry

Oddfish
or but a 25 fish limit on all fish an see what you  get lakes full of small fish stunted............... ...................... ...................... ...................... .....over pop

Offline 6wheels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:18 PM »
The fourth largest Yellow Perch (and the only one of the top four that I could track down a length on) came from Hartford County, Maryland in 2006. It was 3 pounds 5 ounces and was 16 1/4 inches long. Could NH hold a world record? Why not? I won the largest yellow perch of the winni derby quite a few years ago. It only weighed 1.85 pounds but the length was just over 15 inches. Who knows . . . a few more years and a few more meals . . . ya just never know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.