Author Topic: Tiger trout (updated 11-25 with uintah tigers)  (Read 17619 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Tiger trout (updated 11-25 with uintah tigers)
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:06 PM »
Enjoy the pic. These fish are a thing of beauty. Posted both pics the one not in the sun looks so much better.

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline PSCfishingking

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm gonna have to get out there to UT, we don't have tiger trout in NY. Gorgious

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
I'm gonna have to get out there to UT, we don't have tiger trout in NY. Gorgious

Not naturally but I do know one place they are stocked that you can open water fish only.  ;) ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Biggest one I've seen was 27in caught thru the ice by my buddy. My personal best is 25in caught off the bank in the fall
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thats amazing!!!!!

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not naturally but I do know one place they are stocked that you can open water fish only.  ;) ;D
Where would that happen to be? ;D Wouldn't mind crossing another trout off the ol' list.

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...

Not naturally but I do know one place they are stocked that you can open water fish only.

Yes we do.  And yes, naturally.......not common however.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline Sgowan713

• IceShanty Rookie
thats a cool looking fish

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
They are a very sharp looking fish
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline meek48

• Team IceShanty Regular
nice fish  :)

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes we do.  And yes, naturally.......not common however.

A natural tiger? Tigers are a stocked fish. You can't have a natural tiger because they are a sterile intergeneric fish.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
its a cross between a female brown trout and a male brookie. 

If Those salmon (King and Coho) can cross supposedly naturally in the great lakes than why couldn't the tiger happen naturally. 

I would think that If it did, it would be very rare.  Considering that even in a controlled environment (hatchery) the success rate is generally less than 20%. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
A natural tiger? Tigers are a stocked fish. You can't have a natural tiger because they are a sterile intergeneric fish.

the tiger trout it self is sterile.  although the males will still go through the physical changes that a male trout will go through during the spawn (hooked jaws, kind of pan out a little)

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
they stock them here in ct. i have one pond i catch them all the time. they are real aggressive. thats a beauty. i've caught them up to 16"
i read they are a good stocking fish because their growth rate is fast. i've also caught them in a couple of rivers in eastern ct.

wt

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
The tigers are a sterile fish from what i have read up on them from my state fisheries biologists and yes they are very agressive with a fast growth rate. I have only had 2 occasions to get them with the brookie spawn colors going and its also impressive. Ill add a pic with one. Such a blast to catch. They attack rapalas. Ill have packs of 2 or 3 follow right to the bank pretty consistantly in the fall. Then when they see you they head out and with another cast just past them they'll do it all over again. Good times.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where would that happen to be? ;D Wouldn't mind crossing another trout off the ol' list.
Check the NY DEC stocking list and you might find a body of water that is stocked near you...I have caught a few Tigers but only one was a naturally occuring fish up in the head waters of a small brook trout stream that does not get any stocking...Great looking fish!
.. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time...

Offline Jigger Don

• Team IceShanty Addict
Awesome looking fish

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...

Tigers themselves may be sterile but they are the offspring of a brook trout and a brown.  Since both spawn in the fall, any stream that has naturally occuring brooks and browns in it has the chance of producing tiger trout.  It doesn't happen often, and isn't common, but yes, they occur in the wild.   It seems like for whatever reason, certain watersheds produce them while many other do not.........conditons have to be perfect.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tigers themselves may be sterile but they are the offspring of a brook trout and a brown.  Since both spawn in the fall, any stream that has naturally occuring brooks and browns in it has the chance of producing tiger trout.  It doesn't happen often, and isn't common, but yes, they occur in the wild.   It seems like for whatever reason, certain watersheds produce them while many other do not.........conditons have to be perfect.

I know they are a cross - intergeneric - but they have to heat shock the fertilized egg to create the extra set of chromosomes (the brown is a salmon and the brook is a char)... How would that naturally happen? I'm not doubting it, just curious.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Cobleskill Res???
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline TOGUEMAN2011

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is short "GO FISH"
They are cool looking fish. Wish we had them in Maine ;D Nice catch.

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...

I know they are a cross - intergeneric - but they have to heat shock the fertilized egg to create the extra set of chromosomes (the brown is a salmon and the brook is a char)... How would that naturally happen? I'm not doubting it, just curious.

While uncommon it happens.  Extra chromosomes occur even in humans on occasion  i.e. Downs Syndrome.

An excerpt from a statement by the  National Park Service,  U.S. Department of the Interior,  regarding Shenandoah NP :

" Hybridization with brown trout has been documented in every park stream containing cohabitant populations of both species. The progeny resulting from male brook trout and female brown trout are known generally as “tiger trout”. Within the few park streams where both species coexist, tiger trout are occasionally encountered. Interestingly, tiger trout encounters seem to occur during periods when the brown trout population is depressed creating conditions where female brown trout are more likely to be encountered and spawned by male brook trout. Reciprocal crosses between male brown trout and female brook trout have never been observed in the wild. These progeny known as “leopard trout” have only been produced artificially among captives and are morphologically different in external comparison to tiger trout.  "   

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Now thats some very informative reading on cross breading done all by itself. Sounds good to me. Thanks gumpy2. Im just happy to have had the chance to tangle with some of these beautiful fish which have all been returned to battle another day. I just wish some of the other people that fish the lakes we have them in here would do the same. Take a bow home as they will reproduce!
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishhunter77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Interesting trout!! :)  Never had a chance to go after one.

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
beautiful fish. id want one mounted.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
While uncommon it happens.  Extra chromosomes occur even in humans on occasion  i.e. Downs Syndrome.

An excerpt from a statement by the  National Park Service,  U.S. Department of the Interior,  regarding Shenandoah NP :

" Hybridization with brown trout has been documented in every park stream containing cohabitant populations of both species. The progeny resulting from male brook trout and female brown trout are known generally as “tiger trout”. Within the few park streams where both species coexist, tiger trout are occasionally encountered. Interestingly, tiger trout encounters seem to occur during periods when the brown trout population is depressed creating conditions where female brown trout are more likely to be encountered and spawned by male brook trout. Reciprocal crosses between male brown trout and female brook trout have never been observed in the wild. These progeny known as “leopard trout” have only been produced artificially among captives and are morphologically different in external comparison to tiger trout.  "
Is there Banjo music involved..  ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline ptownrowdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Less Romance, More Science"
 :ojealous :tipup:
Hardwater Adventures

Offline stealhead4749

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Great looking fish!!!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic